Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-12-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
RCA inputs
yes
Thx
Old 03-12-2021, 09:04 PM

Thankfully I need more than 6w too. Really tempting if I needed anything less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Sorry to hear about the fate of the PSE. I love mine. I wouldn't trade my PSE even up for any of his other amps.

As to the KT170, I'm going to wait to see how those work out. Their early KT150s weren't that reliable. Given that and how it took them quite a while to get these through testing. I do like both the Tung sol KT120 and KT150 in my Inspire amps. I find the KT120 to be an under appreciated tube. They are used in some expensive, highly-rated amps, but rarely get much good press in the online forums.
I’m planning to pair them with my ATC SCM19s, notoriously power hungry but I’ve been pushing them with a 3wpc Chinese EL84 amp with good results at low volumes. However , anything louder is out of the question. Maybe it’s an age thing but listening volumes decrease as age increases, at least for me. Also, I recall there was a discussion about it on bi-amping two amps so that’s an option. More importantly, Dennis reassured me it’ll be fine so I’m still plenty excited for it.

Has anyone tried the Tung-sol 7581A on this amp and what rectifier did you guys use? 274B or something with a higher voltage drop? The blue glow alone is tempting. 😬 I’ll report back when I get the KT170.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Sorry to hear about the fate of the PSE. I love mine. I wouldn't trade my PSE even up for any of his other amps.

As to the KT170, I'm going to wait to see how those work out. Their early KT150s weren't that reliable. Given that and how it took them quite a while to get these through testing. I do like both the Tung sol KT120 and KT150 in my Inspire amps. I find the KT120 to be an under appreciated tube. They are used in some expensive, highly-rated amps, but rarely get much good press in the online forums.
The KT150's have a delicate filament. I ordered a pair and one was DOA. These tubes should be purchased from a dealer that thoroughly tests them and packs them properly. My 2 cents.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-18-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 PM

https://flic.kr/ps/3W8iqk

Not sure if I attached the image correctly but here’s the chassis just out from the powder coating.

Last edited by Bentan; 03-18-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentan View Post
Thankfully I need more than 6w too. Really tempting if I needed anything less.

I’m planning to pair them with my ATC SCM19s, notoriously power hungry but I’ve been pushing them with a 3wpc Chinese EL84 amp with good results at low volumes. However , anything louder is out of the question. Maybe it’s an age thing but listening volumes decrease as age increases, at least for me. Also, I recall there was a discussion about it on bi-amping two amps so that’s an option. More importantly, Dennis reassured me it’ll be fine so I’m still plenty excited for it.

Has anyone tried the Tung-sol 7581A on this amp and what rectifier did you guys use? 274B or something with a higher voltage drop? The blue glow alone is tempting. �� I’ll report back when I get the KT170.
I have not tried the 7581A's but a 274B would be a good choice and won't break the bank. I was never a headbanger but at 69 I don't listen at loud volume

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-18-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:56 PM

The 7581A's with the 274B is one of my favorites.

A CJ5 preamp found its way to me this week, FedEx foibles notwithstanding. It contested for the top spot against the LP-27a. The CJ5 now has pride of place, with improvements over a number of descriptors, but body in particular.

It wouldn't have been my expectation that bass and midbass detail and control would have been the most striking initial impression from a preamp swap. But the setup had me pulling out Ma's Bach Cello suites, and ZZ Top's One Foot in the Blues, among other things.

Rolling rectifiers makes some small differences, but more on that later.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:11 PM

Default Back from the toystore...

Today's amp line up....

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

A 6V6'er...

My Q5'er...

And the 300B...

Source was either CD or vinyl through my 01A pre amp. We went back and forth on all three of the amps for awhile, but eventually, we were only listening to the new 300B amp...

Listening impressions on the 300B...Great low end for a SET amp, combined with clear precise yet warm vocals and sparkling highs. It was also transparent enough that when the pre amp tubes were changed from 01As to 112As to 71As, there were clearly audible differences between each type of tube. It was almost like the gear and speakers disappeared, leaving only the music.

The 300B is currently putting out 5.5wpc, although Dennis says this is a prototype. The final product will have different impedance output transformers to allow it to generate 6-7wpc. Dennis says this is "A life time amp" and the 300B tubes come with a 5 year warranty as well. I asked Dennis where the CARY SE300 monoblocks were because I though he was going to pull them out for a side by side comparison, and he shook his head. He then said that they actually were in the back of the shop, but it wasn't even worth the trouble to pull them out and dust them off... (What does that tell you?)

We also tinkered with some speakers and different drivers. Here's Straitwire adding a vintage Zenith driver to Dennis' quarter pipe speaker prototypes....

All in all another great day at the shop, and a great introduction to an unforgettable new amp. Dennis says the first order is already in, so send him a message via the usual route if you would like an amp for the ages...
Old 03-18-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
The 7581A's with the 274B is one of my favorites.

A CJ5 preamp found its way to me this week, FedEx foibles notwithstanding. It contested for the top spot against the LP-27a. The CJ5 now has pride of place, with improvements over a number of descriptors, but body in particular.

It wouldn't have been my expectation that bass and midbass detail and control would have been the most striking initial impression from a preamp swap. But the setup had me pulling out Ma's Bach Cello suites, and ZZ Top's One Foot in the Blues, among other things.

Rolling rectifiers makes some small differences, but more on that later.
What 274B are you using? The PSVANE T MKII?
Old 03-18-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentan View Post

https://flic.kr/ps/3W8iqk

Not sure if I attached the image correctly but here’s the chassis just out from the powder coating.
Hey Bentan, I picked up your chassis from the powder coater yesterday.
It's been awhile since I've seen this color and I have to say that I really like it.
All of my stuff is Black, but I think when I build something new I'll go with this color.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:28 PM

Listening to some KT170's (thanks Dennis!)
They just do fit.
These tubes are fantastic!
I have'nt tried a 5AR4 yet but I will.
Gonna roll some input tubes for now.
I'll be trying some different output transformers next week.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Brought home the tuned pipe speakers we used at our listening session today.
Dennis put a tweeter on the back of them and the results are amazing!
The Fostex full range drivers sound fantastic but they needed a little sparkle.
I'll eventually cut a hole and mount them properly once we decide if they
work better on the back or on the front.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]