AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-29-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
I didn't see the listing. Was it a PSET 45? Here's mine.

Attachment 62535
It's a 45/2A3. Search completed auctions and it will come up. What speakers are you driving with your 45 PSE?

I had a Jeff Korneff 45 amp years ago. A good 45 amp is magical.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlowz View Post
FloridaBoy I am giving you a hard time you are telling me to have patience before I buy another Inspire, I just noticed that said you purchased the latest offering from Mr. Had stating you now have three !!!
I bought a triode Inspire and LP27a preamp from Dennis 5 years ago. Next was a used PSE. The 45 is a tube I really like and it may end up driving Lii or another full ranger.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I just bought the 45/2A3 amp Dennis recently listed. It's a disease with no cure.
Congratulations, neighbor. I was eyeing that amp as well. I almost pulled the trigger. Enjoy it in good health.

have a Firebottle purchased in December 2018 and a 3.1 that I picked up in July 2019. I run a pair of Spendor LS3/5A’s with superb results. I roll tubes from time to time, but I seem to have settled on the KT-150’s.

Ed
Old 07-29-2020, 07:34 AM

I placed a order for the Inspire Universal SET cant wait for my new toy from the toy factory!
rmlowz
Old 07-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It's a 45/2A3. Search completed auctions and it will come up. What speakers are you driving with your 45 PSE?

I had a Jeff Korneff 45 amp years ago. A good 45 amp is magical.
Pulled it up. Nice!

I'm using it with a pair of Altec M14's. I've also used it with Tannoy Devons, but the Altec combo really works. Incredible bass authority in such a low wattage amp.

I'm having larger cabs made for the Tannoy drivers to take "full" advantage of them. That is something I'm looking forward to hearing.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post

have a Firebottle purchased in December 2018 and a 3.1 that I picked up in July 2019. I run a pair of Spendor LS3/5A’s with superb results. I roll tubes from time to time, but I seem to have settled on the KT-150’s.

Ed
I like hearing this. LS3/5As are quite inefficient, most measure at around 83dB, but have a smooth, easy impedance curve. Many Brits powered them for years with 15-20W tube amps. Many people are under the assumption that one cannot use a low efficiency speaker with a lower watt tube amp. But in the right room, and if a listener isn't driving them to concert-level volume, it can be a pleasant combination.

I have a pair of 87db Focals which I sometimes use with my Inspire KT88 and find the combination quite satisfying.

I know of people using Harbeth P3ESR speakers with 10wpc tube amps. Those also measure at 83db. You're not going to be able to play classical music at loud levels with this combo, but it can meet the needs of some.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
A PSE (SEP) which is currently at the Toy Factory being upgraded. New front end and paralleled coupling caps that I know of. Dennis has been joking that I will get it back in October or maybe December. I hope he is joking. Lastly I have an elusive new 6V6er (SEP). Not a model that has quite hit the market yet. Each is both unique and similar at the same time. It’s quiet obvious each came from the same ‘ear’. Like Florida Boy says they are all really good. I have a favorite but it is not always the same one. The only one of the 4 which was truly inferior was the original 2013 KT design. It was still wonderful.
Could you describe the changes to the front end of your IIPS? I have one built in 2016.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I did a search and found good info on baffle design. How wide was your 'no bass' baffle?

24” with the height of center at 31” both of which are to my low end detriment. My architects eye may not allow for much wider in my living space but I am interested to hear about what you have found.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I like hearing this. LS3/5As are quite inefficient, most measure at around 83dB, but have a smooth, easy impedance curve. Many Brits powered them for years with 15-20W tube amps. Many people are under the assumption that one cannot use a low efficiency speaker with a lower watt tube amp. But in the right room, and if a listener isn't driving them to concert-level volume, it can be a pleasant combination.

I have a pair of 87db Focals which I sometimes use with my Inspire KT88 and find the combination quite satisfying.

I know of people using Harbeth P3ESR speakers with 10wpc tube amps. Those also measure at 83db. You're not going to be able to play classical music at loud levels with this combo, but it can meet the needs of some.
Bombadil, in the small space where I have this setup, the LS3/5A’s sound great playing Jazz, Blues and other acoustic music. Classical guitar, vocals sound really natural. The 3.1 and the Firebottle mate very well with these 11 ohm Spendors.

You are right about the impedance curve is an important, often overlooked variable. While I would not necessarily recommend the combination for everyone, for my musical tastes and the small room this system is superb.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
24” with the height of center at 31” both of which are to my low end detriment. My architects eye may not allow for much wider in my living space but I am interested to hear about what you have found.
I found a thread about these drivers on Audio Haven. The baffles should be wider. You can do this by adding 8-10 inch wings hinged 'wings' to the sides. This will increase the effective width of the baffle. More later.