AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 05-02-2021, 03:58 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Modern digital is computer technology plus a DAC and a remote control. The digital audio world continues changing every year.

Vinyl is a lifestyle choice. It's very hands on. To do it really well can be expensive.

Turntable suggestions for starting out? The essential criteria for a good turntable is stable accurate speed control and low noise. I'd look at a Technics SP10 mkII - a direct drive Japanese 'table that debuted in 1975.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:58 PM

Cool The Dark Side of A/V/D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Modern digital is computer technology plus a DAC and a remote control. The digital audio world continues changing every year.

Vinyl is a lifestyle choice. It's very hands on. To do it really well can be expensive.
Short and sweet...and a lot of sage wisdom here. Your words about the [what I call] "the digital side" are right on the money, too. We've been slowly expanding out from strictly stereo to multichannel and the experience hasn't been very enjoyable. While we were happily enjoying our Mac and B&W stereo setup, the audio and video world merged...and, now, physical media is being left behind by the "content" philosophy.

I recall shaking my head when certain software conglomerates moved away from physical media toward subscriptions...but now the entertainment industry is doing the same kind of thing...squeezing every penny out of the people that made them "big" in the first place.

I suppose that I'm speaking in dinosaur here, but make mine physical: and LPs definitely fit that bill.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
Short and sweet...and a lot of sage wisdom here. Your words about the [what I call] "the digital side" are right on the money, too. We've been slowly expanding out from strictly stereo to multichannel and the experience hasn't been very enjoyable. While we were happily enjoying our Mac and B&W stereo setup, the audio and video world merged...and, now, physical media is being left behind by the "content" philosophy.

I recall shaking my head when certain software conglomerates moved away from physical media toward subscriptions...but now the entertainment industry is doing the same kind of thing...squeezing every penny out of the people that made them "big" in the first place.

I suppose that I'm speaking in dinosaur here, but make mine physical: and LPs definitely fit that bill.

Bill, you made me smile there.

@Tim: a lifestyle choice indeed. And a very agreeable one I'm sure.

@Joel: of course I'm tempted. There is a certainly something that attracts us in vinyl because we grew up with it.
But ... I .. must .. resist! (Or my wife might be less amused, after all the hifi changes we made the last months).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-02-2021, 05:02 PM

I posted earlier that if I hadn’t kept playing reckers since the beginning of time I wouldn’t start now.

I’m not so sure. I mean I almost bought an R2R deck recently.....and that’s way more fiddly than vinyl.

So if I were going to get into vinyl today I’d start with a decent but not over-the-top setup and see if I liked it.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-02-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I posted earlier that if I hadn’t kept playing reckers since the beginning of time I wouldn’t start now.

I’m not so sure. I mean I almost bought an R2R deck recently.....and that’s way more fiddly than vinyl.

So if I were going to get into vinyl today I’d start with a decent but not over-the-top setup and see if I liked it.
That's funny, Tom, because I recently gave R2R some serious thought, as well. When I had my first demonstration of the Mac "Power Guard" circuit demonstrated for me, back in the late-70s, I recall the same guy having a very nice Teac reel-to-reel sitting proudly on top of his audio cabinet. In fact, he later used that same R2R to entertain a group of friends at a pool party and, quite frankly, it sounded like the MTB was playing just for us. In short, it sounded fabulous! ...but, alas, one can only put so much music on each reel, right?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-02-2021, 08:02 PM

I think of flipping tapes and records as exercise.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I...

Tom - that is what we did (see earlier post) - very much enjoying it. Went to a local vinyl shop this weekend and picked up a couple of albums on our list. One was 'In through the Out Door' by LZ - in fantastic shape, original price was $2.99 (from Stereo Jack's - wherever that may be - perhaps already used), but we had to pay a bit more than that. What a great listen on a Sunday evening.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
That's funny, Tom, because I recently gave R2R some serious thought, as well. When I had my first demonstration of the Mac "Power Guard" circuit demonstrated for me, back in the late-70s, I recall the same guy having a very nice Teac reel-to-reel sitting proudly on top of his audio cabinet. In fact, he later used that same R2R to entertain a group of friends at a pool party and, quite frankly, it sounded like the MTB was playing just for us. In short, it sounded fabulous! ...but, alas, one can only put so much music on each reel, right?

Bill - yep, it was a close call. But I decided to stay away from R2R for now. Never say never though.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Tom - that is what we did (see earlier post) - very much enjoying it. Went to a local vinyl shop this weekend and picked up a couple of albums on our list. One was 'In through the Out Door' by LZ - in fantastic shape, original price was $2.99 (from Stereo Jack's - wherever that may be - perhaps already used), but we had to pay a bit more than that. What a great listen on a Sunday evening.

I just have a lot of fun playing vinyl. I have two vinyl setups, one in each house. The CO one is super tweaked, the WI one is a stock Rega P3 that is a quarter of a century old now. They are each appropriate to the system they are in. Just fun to use. Especially when the digital stuff gets pissy and doesn’t work right.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-03-2021, 08:44 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Let me be the party pooper today.
Hopefully comparisons will more often have digital get the nod. I think this is still unusual. In some number of years I am sure it will be the rule not the exception. Personally I like not having to get up all the time and choosing from a nearly infinite amount of music. I listen to digital much more than my analog, although I find them equally satisfying, even though the analog side is a bit more detailed and well balanced... the musical experience is the same for me. I enjoy playing vinyl... a bit ritualistically.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 05-03-2021 at 08:49 PM.