AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-12-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Yes, I did mean BDP-3 and not BDA-3. Good catch, thank you! I edited the post to make the correction.

The Manic Moose interface just isn't as slick as some of the competition's software, such as Aurender. For example, the Qobuz functionality is extremely limited by comparison to Aurender's Conductor app, but the trade-off is more than worth it to me.
Well, just ask yourself which is more important, a slick interface or sound quality. I read where either you or someone else had an Aurender, but traded it for the BDP-3. Remember, with the BDP-3, you have a fully functional interface and pristine sound quality. The sound quality and ease of use of the interface is the most important priority. A "slick" interface will increase the cost of this product when, in fact, the interface is unimportant when one considers the sound quality.

Last edited by gbaby; 02-13-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:42 PM

The BDP 3 is a great piece. Manic Moose is stable, reliable and great sounding. Its sound quality was enough for me to let ROON go after the Bryston 60 day trial.

What I would like to see is Qobuz integration in the artist view and tied into the scrapper as Tidal appears to be. For now however, I am pleasantly pleased with the Moose!
Old 02-12-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Well, just ask yourself which is more important, a slick interface or sound quality. I read where either you or someone else had an Aurender, but traded it for the BDP-3. Remember, with the BDP-3, you have a fully functional interface and pristine sound quality ...
I did have an Aurender and dumped it at a loss when I bought the Bryston. I am much, much happier with the BDP-3 and have been from the day I first installed it. It's been absolutely stable, whereas the Aurender was a nuisance and customer support was indifferent. And I'm being kind.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I did have an Aurender and dumped it at a loss when I bought the Bryston. I am much, much happier with the BDP-3 and have been from the day I first installed it. It's been absolutely stable, whereas the Aurender was a nuisance and customer support was indifferent. And I'm being kind.
Which Aurender? Did you ever get it working well enough to compare the sound quality to the BDP-3?
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 02-13-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Which Aurender? Did you ever get it working well enough to compare the sound quality to the BDP-3?
I had an Aurender N100H. Frankly, I was so happy to be getting rid of it that I didn't spend a lot of time comparing it to the BDP-3. I think they are very close sonically with perhaps a slight advantage to the Bryston, or perhaps that's just a result of the bias I developed against the Aurender.

I know that many users praise the Aurender streamers and customer support, but that wasn't my experience at all. I'm fairly competent with technology and I write clearly - so I am not happy when I get an answer back from tech support telling me the remedy to my issue is something I already told them I'd tried. Nor do I appreciate being told the issue is missing files when clearly the files are not missing. Or any of the other excuses and nonsense I got back from "Ari" at Aurender.

I've been an audiophile for a long time. One thing I figured out years ago is that this hobby is supposed to be fun, so if a component becomes a nuisance, the only solution is to bail out. So good riddance, Aurender.

After one day with the Bryston I got it to do what the Aurender couldn't in the nine months I owned it.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:48 AM

I am likely going to add a streamer to my system this year and the BDP-3 (in black) is on the short list along with an N10. I probably won't be able to go and listen to them, so I will be making the decision based on info gathering. Your Aurender experience is definitely something I'll keep in mind.

I don't want to break the bank on a streamer. I am using an XPS13 running JRiver USB out to my D1100. The D1100 is a very nice DAC in my opinion and the USB input does not disappoint. The whole noisy computer USB jitter argument just is not happening, it sounds sublime. I'm sure my Wireworld Platinum USB cable from Ivan is helping also. I wouldn't mind having a streamer where I could compare USB to digital coax and AES though.
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 02-13-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did mean BDP-3 and not BDA-3. Good catch, thank you! I edited the post to make the correction.

The Manic Moose interface just isn't as slick as some of the competition's software, such as Aurender. For example, the Qobuz functionality is extremely limited by comparison to Aurender's Conductor app, but the trade-off is more than worth it to me.
1.) Want the slick interface try iPeng for IOS.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

2.) Want the slick inteface try OrangeSqueeze for Android.

The only thing I don't know is if other the hardware streamer's lock you in,
and not allow access. I do know Lumin and Naim allowed access!
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 02-13-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
I am likely going to add a streamer to my system this year and the BDP-3 (in black) is on the short list along with an N10. I probably won't be able to go and listen to them, so I will be making the decision based on info gathering. Your Aurender experience is definitely something I'll keep in mind.

I don't want to break the bank on a streamer. I am using an XPS13 running JRiver USB out to my D1100. The D1100 is a very nice DAC in my opinion and the USB input does not disappoint. The whole noisy computer USB jitter argument just is not happening, it sounds sublime. I'm sure my Wireworld Platinum USB cable from Ivan is helping also. I wouldn't mind having a streamer where I could compare USB to digital coax and AES though.
Don't worry about the break in time. It took about 5 hrs to settle in and open up. The Bryston BDP-3 definitely has its own opinion on musical presentation. It reminds me of this post I made having to replace tubes in my preamp. I the use digital XLR since I own nothing above 96hz. But I've been eyeing the D1100.... hmmmm
https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45867
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000

Last edited by blacsno; 02-13-2021 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I, for one, appreciate your candor and honesty which seems to be rare these days. Since you mentioned customer support, before my unit became a BDP-3, I was having problems with my then BDP-2. Chris from Bryston spent about two hours straight trying to help me by phone. The only reason it took so long is due to my having computer issues. In the end, he resolved my issues. Thank you for your response.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
... The Bryston BDP-3 definitely has its own opinion on musical presentation ...
Can you please explain what you mean here? Do you think the BDP-3 is colored?