AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM

Default AR Ref. 6SE

I’m driving a pair of Focal Sopra2’s with a McIntosh 462 and using a McIntosh C47 preamp. Was thinking about replacing the C47 with the AR 6SE. Any comments on this matchup would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:21 PM

I didn’t have very good results with a 601/5SE combination. Somewhat 2D presentation and not as detailed as with all ARC. If I remember correctly impedance match was technically acceptable but not comparable to ARC preamp and amp combination.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:16 PM

I'm driving my Sopra 3s with an LS28SE, also a 462. I did an extensive direct comparison between the 28 and a C2700. It was very very close, they both sounded great the 28 sounded a little bit airier and more holographic. Mac was a tad more musical and warm, it was a very tough decision. I love my system currently, no mismatch that I can detect, and it's legitimately the best my system has ever sounded, if not the best system I've ever heard to my ears to date including auditioning in dealers. I think you'd love it. Keep in mind you could consider the LS28SE as well, it's more than capable and it's no chump at $10k.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player

Last edited by mcpaf76; 08-09-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:27 PM

I have recounted my thoughts on such a pairing before, I am not a fan of mixing and matching because of my experience. I paired a Ref5SE with an MC452 many years ago and concluded that I would like to go all ARC because it just didn't mate well. It was somewhat bright but uninvolving. Many years later, I tried the Luxman M-900u with my Ref6SE and decided that it was a similar situation and went back to full ARC.

I've said this many times: You can look at the input impedance specs and hope for a good match, but it's not always going to work out. For this reason, I've become a big believer in using the same brand pre/power amps. At least you KNOW it will always work together and the components will complement each other.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:44 PM

I used to have an all Mac system, C1000 and Mc 2102. I mixed and matched an ARC preamp (Ref 5 ) with a Mac Mc2102 and liked it slightly better than the former combination. I found that the combo was airier and more holographic as @mcpaf76 did. I also found it to be slightly more transparent. I was pretty darn happy with the sound of the combo-- but out of curiosity added an ARC amp and was surprised at how much the overall presentation changed. It was not as "warm" as the full Mac or ARC/Mac system, but was not too airy or wispy. In fact, it was much more transparent, bloomy, colorful , holographic and I believe, natural. The warmth of Mac now sounded like a warm blanket or scrim over the music instead of a "musical" warmth. Like mcpaf76, I am now all ARC. Of course that's just my opinion based on my system. You may reach a different conclusion. But I do not think you would be disappointed with the 6E/ Mac combo.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 08-10-2021, 12:42 PM

I had great results mixing the ARC Ref 6 (non-SE) with non-ARC amps: Rogue Apollo Dark monos (MUCH better than most Rogue preamps), VAC Signature 200iQ monos (arguably better than the VAC Renaissance V). The Ref 6 has a clean neutral tone with a nice natural warmth (but not too much) that seems like it will mix well with most systems that don't need rebalancing. And also a low output impedance. BUT then I never tried it with a McIntosh amp.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:50 PM

Also went from a McIntosh pre amp to a Ref6 using initially a pair of 601's. The sound was much better with the Ref6 by a long shot but still felt something was off.

Changed to a pair of ML 536's and have not looked back. Can only believe that the impedance mismatch is much less with the 536's then with the 601's

So would not recommend a Ref6/McIntosh amp combo in general.
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 08-10-2021, 05:32 PM

Thank you for all the input. I guess that synergy between amp and preamp does go hand in hand. I will keep my eye out for a preowned c2600 since I have a Bryston BDA-3 DAC. Looking forward to a tube preamp. Will give a full review when everything is up and running.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:02 PM

Dave I don't think you can go wrong with that combo. Other than the DAC, the 2600 and 2700 are almost identical, and like I said it sounded amazing with the 2700 I auditioned.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 08-11-2021, 05:06 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Or you could, as Bart would probably say, follow the advice from all the AAs friends above on how to wisely spend your money and get yourself the REF 6SE AND the matching ARC power amp

Just kidding, enjoy the new C2600, safe/good choice
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser