AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 PM

Lower, yes, but you still have a problem with low sensitivity speakers. They require much more power to produce a desired SPL which results in more excursion and therefore more distortion. What Paul W Klipsch described as the "mud factor".
Old 12-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
What Paul W Klipsch described...
Old 12-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Audiofound, I’m curious of what amp are you planning on using with the Harbeth ?
I’m going to try to keep it simple, we all have an understanding of what a speaker sensitivity means, so I think it comes down on what you wish to achieve. If you listen at high levels then you may want more power/current with a low sensitivity speaker. If not then it’s not necessary. My Harbeth do not play as loud as my 91db speakers but they sound so much better. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy pushing components just to see what “it’s got to give” but just for occasional fun not the norm. One thing I’m convinced of is that they are very good sounding speakers and it would be worth finding an amp that gives you the results you’ll be happy with.

Last edited by ATC2; 01-09-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Audiofound, I’m curious of what amp are you planning on using with the Harbeth ?
I’m going to try to keep it simple, we all have an understanding of what a speaker sensitivity means, so I think it comes down on what you wish to achieve. If you listen at high levels then you may want more power/current with a low sensitivity speaker. If not then it’s not necessary. My Harbeth do not play as loud as my 91db speakers but they sound so much better. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy pushing components just to see what “it’s got to give” but just for occasional fun not the norm. One thing I’m convinced of is that they are very good sounding speakers an it would be worth finding an amp that gives you the results you’ll be happy with.

I have a Pass int 250 on order along with an MSB Discrete DAC with additional power supply, and a Roon Nucleus. Just for the record, I have Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Model speakers at home waiting for the amp.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofound View Post
I have a Pass int 250 on order along with an MSB Discrete DAC with additional power supply, and a Roon Nucleus. Just for the record, I have Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary Model speakers at home waiting for the amp.
That is going to sound...wonderful. Very nice system.

Congrats and please post your impressions when you get your Pass Int 250.

Cheers and happy new year.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Wow..! Congrats, I believe you have put together a very nice system, great way to start a year. Like PumaCat says let us know how you’re system sounds, I’m also curious...
Happy New Years everyone...

Last edited by ATC2; 01-09-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:07 PM

Thanks guys for the kind, encouraging words. This coming Thursday I’ll make it official. I pay for the system and get it on it’s way to me. I’ll definitely let you know what I think of it. I’m pumped!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:34 PM

Congrats on what will most certainly be an amazingly great sounding system!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 12-31-2019, 07:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks guys for the kind, encouraging words. This coming Thursday I’ll make it official. I pay for the system and get it on it’s way to me. I’ll definitely let you know what I think of it. I’m pumped!
We're all excited for you, too!

Since I've had my Harbeths 40th Anniv. 30.2s since July, I spend more and more evenings where I can't tear myself away from the stereo.

Most importantly, I'm spending that time immersed and engaged in listening to music, and not focusing on audio equipment.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:31 AM

Very cool, that’s a great system you’re putting together.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2