AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I have grilled all kinds of seafood but never a lobster--I have always steamed them.

Do you steam the lobsters first, split them and then grill them or do you split them live and grill them for the full cooking time, and how long is that?
From Meathead Goldwyn’s “Meathead”

“3 tablespoons unsalted butter (see Note)
½ tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or ½*teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
¼ teaspoon kosher salt (see Note)
Freshly cracked black pepper
2 live Maine lobsters, each about 1½ pounds
2 lemon wedges (optional)
1. Prep. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the olive oil, parsley, tarragon, chives, salt, and pepper to taste. Let the flavors blend for a bit over low heat but be careful not to let the butter turn brown. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
2. Kill the lobsters quickly and painlessly: Put a lobster in a baking pan or sheet pan facing you. Place the tip of a sharp, heavy chef’s knife between the lobster’s eyes about ½ inch behind them, with the sharp edge of the knife facing you. Plunge the knife all the way through the lobster’s head and slice down, cutting the head right between the eyes, severing all major nerves. The lobster may twitch afterward, but it is dead, and because you’ve cut the nerves, it feels no pain. “Flip it over with its legs in the air and cut the lobster in half along the midsection. Hold the lobster firmly so it doesn’t slip on the work surface. Save any juices that emerge in the pan and mix them into the basting sauce. Repeat with the second lobster.
3. Remove the rubber bands from the claws. Scoop out any roe and tomalley from the head area. Roe, sometimes called coral, is a sac of eggs in female lobsters. It is dark green or black when fresh and turns reddish or orange when cooked. You may even find some in the tail if the female was laying. You can add them to the butter. The pale green tomalley is part of the digestive system. In 2008 the USDA issued a warning against eating it because it filters pollutants, including bacteria, from the water in which the lobster lived. Until our waters are cleaner, you should discard*it.
4. Fire up. Preheat the grill for two-zone cooking with the direct-heat side on warp 10 (maximum). You’ll be cooking with direct heat, and the indirect zone is your safe zone.
“5. Cook. Place the lobsters, shell sides down, over direct heat. Position the shells between two rungs in the cooking grate to prevent the lobsters from rolling. You may have to manipulate the large claw or place two halves side by side “to keep them from rolling. Some folks start them meat side down for a few minutes to get a bit more smoke flavor and some grill marks, but that tends to dry them out. Baste the meat with the butter sauce, close the lid, and baste once again after 3 to 4 minutes. When the meat in the thickest part of the tails is a minimum of 145°F and has changed from translucent to pearly white, perhaps 6 to 10 minutes, the lobsters are done. Baste one last time and remove them.
6. Serve. Crack open the claws with a wooden mallet, rolling pin, meat tenderizer, hammer, or kitchen shears. Serve them with any leftover butter for dunking, and squeeze the lemon wedges on the meat, if you wish. You can suck on the feathery gills and the small legs, or freeze them for making lobster bisque.
NOTE: If you use salted butter, cut the amount of salt in half. Remember, you can always add salt, but you can’t take it away.”

Excerpt From
Meathead
Meathead Goldwyn
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/mea...15960173?mt=11
This material may be protected by copyright.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 09-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Retired

In addition to all the above, we enjoy grilled oysters. Put them fresh in the half-shell and set them on the grill and they will cook in their own juice. We add a bit of lemon & freshly chopped parsley while cooking and serve with cocktail sauce. We also poach fish in aluminum foil on the grill.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-11-2018, 12:00 PM

This thread, along with a sweet & smokey rub/glaze recipe I saw got me craving seafood on the grill, so Sunday, I did a lovely piece of salmon. Yeah, it was tasty!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM

Grilled is best way for lobster for me - brings out sweetness and juicy if done right. We cut the tails into chunks and cook on a table top grill (japanese hibachi style). It's much easier to get them to perfect doneness.

The heads we steam as I really like the green stuff and it just falls into the grill.

If you are ever in Spain, try the red prawns (from palamos - 40-80euro per kg depending on the size) cooked on steel plate (plancha) with just salt and a little olive oil. Better than lobster (imported canadian 25-30e/kg, european blue lobsters 35/kg, local spiny lobsters 40euro/kg - all live) or langoustines (30-40e/kg live though I've seen huge ones for 100e per kg during christmas).

Octopus is great also (boiled then grilled).

For weird but interesting stuff try the gooseneck barnacles. Technically a crab, meat tastes like very tender sweet crab. Quite expensive 70-80e per kg but I think worth it once or twice.

In japan - grilled eel. There are two kinds freshwater - technically not seafood, grilled steamed, grilled again in sweet soysauce, very fatty savory; the saltwater kind very tender delicate, less sauce. You can buy the precooked freshwater eel in many places and grill on a hibachi. If u get just right the skin is crisp and it will just melt in your mouth.

Also they have big grilled scallops with the coral with butter and soy sauce torched before serving.

Hamachi (farmed yellow tail) jaw grilled with just salt is also superb.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:01 PM
That's a Deusy !

Hibachi grills take me back. My late father had one in the mid seventies when I was a wee lad. I recently did kabobs of gulf shrimp fresh pineapple red bell pepper and maui onion.

I glazed with teriyaki.... it was 'Ono
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 04-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Retired

We are also lovers of grilled seafood.
Just back from a week in Key West and another in Winter Park. We had grilled grouper several times during our stay as well as grilled squid (best we've had - have got to find a local fishmonger with fresh squid) and oysters grilled in their shell at Umi in Winter Park.
Now that we are home, it is grilled halibut tonight.

Arrghh......... just discovered our house sitter used up all our propane and too late to get a fresh bottle. Ah, well.......... in foil in the oven.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-05-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:23 PM

We love grilling seafood on a charcoal grill - lobster is easy and a favorite. Most people over cook seafood and have a bad experience.

Seafood is like chicken - a tight window from cooked perfectly and over cooked.
Allnic H3000/CJ ET5/Mcintosh 501's
Thiel CS3.6
Thiel CS6
MIT EVO 2 IC
Straightwire Maestro II SC
Shunyata Denali SV2
Shunyata Sigma XC
Wywires Juice PC’s
Kubala Sosna PC’s
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports
Arcici Ref Suspense Stand
Rives acoustically designed room

Shore House
Basis 1400 Signature/Hadcock 228/Ortofon Jubilee
ARC PH 5/Meridian 200/Meridian 263 DAC
CJ Premier 14/Classe CA200/Thiel 3.6
Wywires Silver IC/Stereolab Diablo SC/MIT Z cord II
Old 04-06-2021, 02:29 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by keef View Post
We love grilling seafood on a charcoal grill - lobster is easy and a favorite. Most people over cook seafood and have a bad experience.

Seafood is like chicken - a tight window from cooked perfectly and over cooked.
+1
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 04-19-2021, 04:44 PM

Speaking of Eel, my grandfather (who was an excellent home cook) used to make broiled Eel in the oven:
He would buy fresh Eel, skin it, sprinkle sea salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and then an olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon mixture that was used to base the Eel. It tasted great.
I have been wanting to try this for some time.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:39 AM

I grill salmon twice a week. We get it fresh from our local grocery store. I rub it with olive oil then salt and pepper it. Takes about 7 minutes to cook.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill