AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I'm using D'Agostino M400 monoblocks with Transparent Audio cables. The MSB front end creates a meaty analog like sound that the D'Ag's pass unadulterated to my Magico M3's that then present it perfectly.

Cincy
You have such an elegant simple system. Beautiful! Could you comment on how the Q-sub interfaces with your M3's?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have such an elegant simple system. Beautiful! Could you comment on how the Q-sub interfaces with your M3's?
Actually, the Q-subs are not delivered yet. I'm currently using a pair of REL subs but the answer is the same. I used an audio tool to measure my room's frequency response. I had a big bass dip in the 30-50Hz region of the spectrum. The rest of the plot was really quite flat. I couldn't get rid of the suck-out with any manipulation of speakers or listening position without hurting the response in the other 90% of the spectrum. Put the subs in place. Cut them at 50Hz and measured the response a few more times adjusting their volume until I had a fairly flat response over 15-100Hz. I noticed that the overall presentation (soundstage, 3D images) improved although I can't explain why. I'm currently happy with the sound but the allure of having both Magico speakers and the Magico subs was too much to resist. When they arrive in a few weeks, I'll get some help setting them up from the Magico dealer and a Magico employee who helps with most hi end set ups of this nature. I'll post the results. Probably May before all this happens.

Eric
Magico Q-Sub 15 Subwoofers (2)
Transparent Opus Gen5 speaker cables and Interconnects
PS Audio P20 regenerator
Roon file management
Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thase13 View Post
JBags,

I just came back to this thread and realized that I came off sounding a bit harsh in my earlier reply. It was purely unintentional and I apologize.

What I was trying to say is that "best/optimal" is pretty much in the eye of the beholder so what sounds best/optimal to me, might be perceived otherwise by someone else listening to my system. Regarding the "some people" part of the question, that part is pretty generic and hard to interpret - much like "they say" or "everyone agrees". I hope you understand my dilemma - there's simply not enough detail there to formulate any type of helpful response. Finally, "they can be tough to get to sound their best" could apply to any/all speakers when all of the other independent variables are left undefined. I would imagine Magico to be no different when matched with non-complimentary equipment.

Consequently, not knowing how to address the open-ended statement attached to the back end of your question I chose to answer the former by relating that I had no difficulty coaxing a sound that pleases me out of my pairing of my Magico M3s to my Constellation Audio separates while acknowledging that others might audition my system and determine that it's not their cup of tea.

Again, I apologize for the impertinent tone in my "vague and subjective" response to your question. It was not my intention to come off sounding so coarse.

No worries at all, and I know this hobby of ours is very subjective. In addition the way a system sounds is dependent on many factors, the room, the electronics, cables etc.

I know my question was a bit vague, the truth is I let a sales person get into my head a bit. I found a local Dan D’Agostino dealer so I contacted them asking for prices and availability. They asked me what speakers I was looking to pair the amps with and when I said Magico’s he started to criticize the speakers and brand. One of his comments regarding the Magico’s were that they are very hard to get “sounding good” and that the brands he carries are far superior. And instead of me realizing that he was just trying to push his products I started to have doubts.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM

You can say many things about Magcio, "hard to set up" is not one of them.
Just look at objective data; these are some of the most linear, well behaved, smooth measuring loudspeakers out there. In the real world all that translates to “easy setup”
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
Actually, the Q-subs are not delivered yet. I'm currently using a pair of REL subs but the answer is the same. I used an audio tool to measure my room's frequency response. I had a big bass dip in the 30-50Hz region of the spectrum. The rest of the plot was really quite flat. I couldn't get rid of the suck-out with any manipulation of speakers or listening position without hurting the response in the other 90% of the spectrum. Put the subs in place. Cut them at 50Hz and measured the response a few more times adjusting their volume until I had a fairly flat response over 15-100Hz. I noticed that the overall presentation (soundstage, 3D images) improved although I can't explain why. I'm currently happy with the sound but the allure of having both Magico speakers and the Magico subs was too much to resist. When they arrive in a few weeks, I'll get some help setting them up from the Magico dealer and a Magico employee who helps with most hi end set ups of this nature. I'll post the results. Probably May before all this happens.

Eric
Cincy2, absolutes congrats. I would want to have the all Magico system also. I would love to hear your system especially when your Q-subs arrive. I have never had opportunity to hear a Magico. Magico M3's with Q-subs/Dag Momentums/MBL II Select/ complete Transparent equals a system that will compete with the best. You have a reference system.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box

Last edited by Charles; 03-06-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:53 AM

So I just pulled the trigger and ordered the M2’s. Extremely excited. Now it’s really time to decide on an amp
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Racing Hoopties

Why not try your big Brystons?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Why not try your big Brystons?

You think? I was initially thinking of going either D’Agostino, AVM(which I hear pairs very nicely). And going to listen to others as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Racing Hoopties

It was just a thought.

Might save yourself some significant $$$ by finding the Big Brystons do a great job with your new speaks.

I THINK Ivan used these to drive the TAD Reference 1s to a great level..
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
It was just a thought.

Might save yourself some significant $$$ by finding the Big Brystons do a great job with your new speaks.

I THINK Ivan used these to drive the TAD Reference 1s to a great level..
I still do.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES