AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-25-2021, 01:53 PM

Default Aesthetics between 802 D3 and D4 reflection

I am sure I am biased with owning the 802D3 for 5 years, but I had my first chance to see an 802D4 close up to see the differences.

In my opinion I feel the 802D3 is more attractive to my eye mainly due to:

1. The tweeter tube being finished in the same gloss black as the Turbine head which gives it a more cohesive appearance versus the grooved anodized finish which looks dull and unfinished to me. I also like the back end of the D3 tweeter tube polished aluminum end which is a better match for the round polished aluminum back of the turbine head and the edge of the aluminum spline.
  2. The metal woofer rings that protrude through the cabinet on the D3's have a brushed aluminum finish which looks high tech vs what appears to be a sprayed on paint finish (metallic like finish)
  3. Eliminated the Bowers and Wilkins logo at the bottom of the cabinet which is very nice looking and more prominently displayed than the logo on the Tweeter ring.

I am sure finishing the cabinet in this way reduced the amount of labor hours it took to finish the cabinet.

The one big improvement is the finishing grills for the bass drivers that look better integrated but since I do not use them anyway this does not really matter to me. Wondering if the new bass grills will attach to the D3?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in my eyes I like the aesthetics of the 802D3 better than the D4.

Last edited by Greg Gale; 12-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:27 PM

So more important for most of those interested in the new version, how did it sound? TIA and hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!
Old 12-26-2021, 08:40 AM

I had a chance to briefly listen to the 803D3's which they had in the same room at the Best Buy Magnolia store but the sales rep did not know how to operate the system hooked up to the 802D3.

The 803 D3 sounded good as expected however I was interested in listening to the 802. Without being able to do a side by side with the previous version D3 and without the same electronics and music and having everything sound level matched and the speakers in the identical position in the room it would be impossible to come to any meaningful conclusion.

Joey already did this comparison and came to his own conclusion and is convinced the D4 802D4 sounded better than the D3. My comment was only in regards to the aesthetics.

Bill do you still work at Holms Audio?
Old 12-26-2021, 10:25 AM

I support their website administration from home and occasionally help out at the store when my services are needed.