AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
James--or anyone.

I am truly loving my new SP3 and BDP-1, but I'm having a strange issue when watching movies through my Oppo 103.

Every time I pause a movie, the audio is completely gone when I resume, whether the pause is brief or extended. This has happened on at least two different movies.

I am connected by HDMI into HDMI 1, and DVD input. I have swapped out HDMI cables, no change. I don't know if there's a problem with the Oppo--it is also brand new--or the SP3, which would surprise me since this is a replacement for the first one which had hardware issues right out of the box. Lightning never strikes the same place twice, they say....

Also to note, I can usually restore the audio by hitting the HDMI button, pausing, and then hitting it again. But I shouldn't have to do that, right?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Like I said in my previous post, stop the disc (Blu-ray most likely), and shut everything Off. Then turn back everything On again, and play your movie.

From your 103's Main Menu Setup (Audio Format Setup section):
HDMI Audio = Bitstream --> You should be good too (no audio drop outs).

The same thing happened to me the first time, and then couple more times after. ...It seems that my 103 was talking with my pre/pro (Integra DHC-80.3) to make a strong bond (friendship). Now they play well together because they communicate on the same level.

For me, the very first firmware update of any component is to shut them off, and turn them back on. ...I do that a few times (when an issue reoccurs), and if things don't improve (but they usually do) after several times, and only then (after making sure I read that it is exactly the same issue as mine) I proceed with the 'official' firmware update.

And if I can live with things that aren't perfect but good enough, I don't update the firmware.
I'm very cautious, fimware updates can be more hazardous than the original state.

BTW, my Oppo BDP-103 is on its very first original firmware (August 2012).
That's right I never updated it. ...Even when I know that it is totally safe to do it now with its latest firmware (just released a few days ago).
...And I just don't need the latest feature additions, and my very small issue is not even worth mentioning. It affects in no way my overall pleasure (or less than 1%, which for me makes me very happy with the other 99%).

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-15-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: couple typos
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 AM

-- This thread should be in the General Audio section.

Why? Because there is no real issue here with the Bryston SP3, or with the Oppo BDP-103. ...Regarding their compatibilty with each other..

* The real issue is with the HDMI protocols, that is all.
Amazing! ...After so many years of its implementation, it seems that we'll have to live with its eternal deficiencies! ...Till we find a better connection (holographic and invisible fiber optic: year 2088). ...Most of us we'll be ashes.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Buseto, Bob

Thanks for the great info.

Buseto--I meant to say "bitstream" when I said DSD, but I was not aware the SP3 didn't handle DSD, so thanks for that.

Bob-- Yeah, I checked out the FAQ and the thread you mentioned the other day, and seem to have resolved the issues. You're right, and as I suspected all along, this in an HDMI handshake issue. This is my first setup where I used HDMI for audio, so while I have read about all the issues involved for years, I had put off dealing with them till now. My previous setup was a Marantz UD 9004 into a Parasound Halo P7, which as you most likely know is all analog.

I was running split A/V from the 103 but decided to try running just one cable from HDMI 2, and then one from the Bryston to my TV. I chose HDMI 2 because the Oppo manual says only HDMI 2 does DSD. However, if Buseto is correct that the SP3 doesn't do DSD, I guess that's a non-issue. Are you aware of any other reasons why I should choose one HDMI out over the other, or if there is any other advantage in split A/V?

Also, I would be happy to have the mod move this to the General Audio forum. How do I do that?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Buseto, Bob

Thanks for the great info.

Buseto--I meant to say "bitstream" when I said DSD, but I was not aware the SP3 didn't handle DSD, so thanks for that.

Bob-- Yeah, I checked out the FAQ and the thread you mentioned the other day, and seem to have resolved the issues. You're right, and as I suspected all along, this in an HDMI handshake issue. This is my first setup where I used HDMI for audio, so while I have read about all the issues involved for years, I had put off dealing with them till now. My previous setup was a Marantz UD 9004 into a Parasound Halo P7, which as you most likely know is all analog.

I was running split A/V from the 103 but decided to try running just one cable from HDMI 2, and then one from the Bryston to my TV. I chose HDMI 2 because the Oppo manual says only HDMI 2 does DSD. However, if Buseto is correct that the SP3 doesn't do DSD, I guess that's a non-issue. Are you aware of any other reasons why I should choose one HDMI out over the other, or if there is any other advantage in split A/V?
Hi Dave,

If you are using only one HDMI connection (from your Oppo to your Bryston, and then from the Bryston to your display), use the HDMI 1 output from the Oppo 103. This will pass the very best picture quality from your Blu-rays, going through your Bryston SP3, and then from the SP3 to your display.

Set the Dual HDMI Output (from your 103 setup) still to Split A/V (from the Video Setup section).

** BUT! Even better than that! => Use the HDMI cable that came with your 103 BD player, and connect it from the HDMI 1 Output of your player directly to one of the HDMI Inputs of your display.
Then run another HDMI cable from the HDMI 2 Output of your Oppo 103 to one of your Bryston SP3's HDMI Inputs (DVD, or whatever).
And you can run another HDMI cable from your Bryston SP3's HDMI Output to another HDMI Input from your display (most useful only when playing DVDs). But you don't have to; and it can also be useful to view your screen when playing music and that you like to have info, plus plus plus.

- Then in your 103 Main setup Menu (Video Setup), the Dual HDMI Output should again be set to Split A/V (page 53).
And from the Audio Format Setup:
- And the Secondary Audio should be set to Off (page 61)
- And the HDMI Audio should be set to Bitstream (page 61). ...But LPCM would also work.
- And the SACD Output should be set to PCM (page 62).

*** Now, on the Video side (Video Setup):
- Dual HDMI Output = Split A/V (as mentioned just above)
- TV Aspect Ratio, set that one to 16:9 Wide/Auto
- TV System = NTSC (of course)
- Output Resolution, set that one to 1080p (and NOT Auto)
- 1080p24 Output = On
- DVD 24p Conversion = On

HDMI Options:
- Color Space, set that one to YCbCr 4:4:4 (and NOT Auto) ...For both HDMI 1 and 2
- Deep Color = Off (again, for both HDMI 1 and 2)

Quote:
Also, I would be happy to have the mod move this to the General Audio forum. How do I do that?
No biggie at all. ...The Bryston Surround Processor is part of the equation (connectivity) anyway.

Ok, should help. Let us know if you encounter issues (new or old).
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM

-- Another very important setting from your Oppo 103's Network Setup ::

-> BD-Live Network Access: Off

Also, because I don't believe that the Bryston SP3 has an internal HDCD decoder, in the Audio Format Setup from your Oppo 103 ::

-> HDCD Decoding: On
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
Hi Dave,

If you are using only one HDMI connection (from your Oppo to your Bryston, and then from the Bryston to your display), use the HDMI 1 output from the Oppo 103. This will pass the very best picture quality from your Blu-rays, going through your Bryston SP3, and then from the SP3 to your display.
OK. Didn't know there was a difference.

Quote:
Set the Dual HDMI Output (from your 103 setup) still to Split A/V (from the Video Setup section).
Done

Quote:
** BUT! Even better than that! => Use the HDMI cable that came with your 103 BD player, and connect it from the HDMI 1 Output of your player directly to one of the HDMI Inputs of your display.
Then run another HDMI cable from the HDMI 2 Output of your Oppo 103 to one of your Bryston SP3's HDMI Inputs (DVD, or whatever).
This is how I originally set everything up, but I changed it when I started having the problems I posted this thread about. Now that I know what was happening (PCM vs bitstream for some movies) I'll probably go back to that setup. Especially if HDMI1 does video better, and HDMI2 does audio better.

Quote:
And you can run another HDMI cable from your Bryston SP3's HDMI Output to another HDMI Input from your display (most useful only when playing DVDs). But you don't have to; and it can also be useful to view your screen when playing music and that you like to have info, plus plus plus.
I also feed a Dish DVR into the SP3, which is one other reason I went to all HDMI setup with just one HDMI out from the SP3 to the display. I fed optical to the SP3 for sound from the DVR. All HDMI makes programming my Harmony One remote a lot easier. But I'm ultimately interested in the bes A/V quality from all sources. All your input has been a great help. Thanks.

Quote:
- Then in your 103 Main setup Menu (Video Setup), the Dual HDMI Output should again be set to Split A/V (page 53).
And from the Audio Format Setup:
- And the Secondary Audio should be set to Off (page 61)
- And the HDMI Audio should be set to Bitstream (page 61). ...But LPCM would also work.
- And the SACD Output should be set to PCM (page 62).

*** Now, on the Video side (Video Setup):
- Dual HDMI Output = Split A/V (as mentioned just above)
- TV Aspect Ratio, set that one to 16:9 Wide/Auto
- TV System = NTSC (of course)
- Output Resolution, set that one to 1080p (and NOT Auto)
- 1080p24 Output = On
- DVD 24p Conversion = On

HDMI Options:
- Color Space, set that one to YCbCr 4:4:4 (and NOT Auto) ...For both HDMI 1 and 2
- Deep Color = Off (again, for both HDMI 1 and 2)
More good info. Thanks again!! These are things I was less sure of. Now that I know my issues are not really hardware related--one of the prblems when replacing more than 1 component at a time-- I should be on my way to setting things up to work very nicely.

Quote:
No biggie at all. ...The Bryston Surround Processor is part of the equation (connectivity) anyway.

Ok, should help. Let us know if you encounter issues (new or old).
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- Another very important setting from your Oppo 103's Network Setup ::

-> BD-Live Network Access: Off

Done.

Quote:
Also, because I don't believe that the Bryston SP3 has an internal HDCD decoder, in the Audio Format Setup from your Oppo 103 ::

-> HDCD Decoding: On
Didn't know that, thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM

-- Oh yes Dave, HDMI 1 Output (Oppo 103) is the one that is serviced by the magnificent Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest Qdeo technology that can upscale ALL video sources to 4K (Ultra HD at 3840 x 2160) and can convert 2D signals to a 3D output.

HDMI 2 Output uses a custom-made MediaTek dual-core processor (very fast).

But the Qdeo from Marvell offers a superior video processing solution,
so that's the preferred choice for most users.

...Talkin' Blu-ray here and all that jazz. ...But for DVDs, the HDMI 2 is a very good solution (MediaTek).

==> That's why it's good to use both of them, plus many more reasons.
Anyway, it's all indicated from the Oppo's own website, plus in that FAQ's link, from over at AVS Forum.

BTW, both HDMI Outputs do Audio equally (none better than the other). ...Just that only HDMI 2 has the option of DSD, that's all (HDMI 1 has only PCM).
But you know what, you'll never know from listening. ...And besides, PCM is the preferred selection. ...Because you have ALL the proper bass management available from your Bryston SP3.
- With DSD there are few anomalies (not Oppo's fault though). I wish that I could give you the direct link on that matter, but I just can't! ...Bob Pariseau (the guy from Anthem, over at AVS Forum, in the 103's official thread) posted it a few times already, with very detailed explanations.
* In short: just set the SACD Output to PCM ...Good for EVERYONE here.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM

Good stuff to know, Bob. I'll have to spend more time with that FAQ and the thread on AVS. I've been a member there for years.

Should get a chance to rearrange all my wires --yet again!--soon. So, it'll be back to HDMI1 straight to the tube, HDMI2 to the SP3, Dish VIP 722 HDMI out to HDMI2 input on the tube, and optical audio out to opt1 in on the SP3. And, of course BDP-1 into bal1 digital.

The only hard part there is getting the Harmony to sort it all out.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great help.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 PM

-- Harmony, you mean your remote control? ...Or harmony between all your components?

* The Oppo 103 is in the Logitech Harmony database.
...Me too I use an Harmony remote (best remote I've ever use, and I used a lot of them I can tell ya).

And the harmony in my music (and movie) room, and with all my components, is satisfying (no issues, of the sort to sweat about),
and picture and sound quality is on par with my smooth and peaceful spirit.