AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-06-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I just got this today from Presto Classical...

Corelli: Concerti grossi, Op. 6 (12, complete)
Sinfonia, WoO 1, to the oratorio Santa Beatrice d'Este
Sonata a quattro in G minor, WoO 2
Amandine Beyer (violin)
Gli Incogniti

Like John said, this is a vigorous interpretation of the Concerti grossi. I like the energy of the ensemble and how Amandine Beyer handles the solo parts playing off the other soloists in playful manner. This is a good set and I'll enjoy it for many years to come, but I do have reservations on the recorded sound captured live at the Arsenal de Metz. I have a few recordings made there and they always sound a little diffuse to me. I prefer crisper sound for this kind of baroque music. So in my view the Avision Linn SACD release edges slightly ahead of the Gli Incognit set all factors considered.
Hmm, to me, the Avison sounds more diffuse! Maybe their more laid-back approach is part of the equation.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Hmm, to me, the Avison sounds more diffuse! Maybe their more laid-back approach is part of the equation.
John - I think the Gli Incogniti version might be more musical and would be my favorite if the recorded sound were better. The Avision may be more laid back like you say but the Linn recording is sharper and done in a smaller venue so overall I prefer it.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Haydn: Keyboard Concertos

More from the Presto purchase...

Haydn:
Keyboard Concerto No. 3 in F major with French horns and strings, Hob.XVIII:3
Keyboard Concerto No. 4 in G major, Hob.XVIII:4
Keyboard Concerto No. 11 in D major, HobXVIII:11
Leif Ove Andsnes (piano)
Norwegian Chamber Orchestra

This is my first exposure to Haydn's keyboard concertos. My impression is that they sound like those of Mozart, but not quite at the same level of charm or sophistication. Nice music to get the day going. but I don't find much depth here. The recorded sound is excellent. My copy does not have the EMI Classics logo so I guess Warner Classics is eliminating the EMI brand. That's strange.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 PM

What could be better for our classical music fans than to mix three of AudioAficionados favorite topics. 1) classical music, 2) food 3) Humor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvUaFp_qMQ]Classical orchestra eating the worlds hottest chili peppers ... - YouTube[/ame]

This video shows just how professional they are to have been able to continue,

Last edited by Still-One; 11-06-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM

The hall used for the Incogniti is definitely more reverberant, but I think the closer mic placement provides even greater detail and richness compared to the Avison.

Last edited by Toccata; 11-06-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
What could be better for our classical music fans than to mix three of AudioAficionados favorite topics. 1) classical music, 2) food 3) Humor.

Classical orchestra eating the worlds hottest chili peppers ... - YouTube

This video shows just how professional they are to have been able to continue,
Haha Jim!
We enjoyed that, my wife and I.
Indeed amazing how good they keep on playing.
Especially the blond violin player.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Life is beautiful

Just listened to CD 13 of this box, that keeps on being in rotation.
Works of Brahms (Cello Sonata 1 & 2) and a most adorable Cello Concerto No. 9 from Boccherini.
What an amazing cellist Ms. du Pré was!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Life is beautiful

Canções, Vilancicos e Motetes Portugueses
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel

Just read the glowing review in Fanfare Magazine of this disc.
I can only concur.
This conductor keeps on finding (well) hidden gems of musical history, and you can only wonder how many other goodies lie gathering dust in abbeys and libraries...
Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Wow...it's almost hard to find the words to express the intensity with which they play the "Death and the Maiden" Quartet! (I haven't played the Quintet yet.) This is far and away the best performance I've heard. The sound is great, too, nearly equal to any SACD I own.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Wow...it's almost hard to find the words to express the intensity with which they play the "Death and the Maiden" Quartet! (I haven't played the Quintet yet.) This is far and away the best performance I've heard. The sound is great, too, nearly equal to any SACD I own.
Is this available on SACD? I have the 24/96 download from qobuz, and it is fabulous.