AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 10-31-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post

This album is again scheduled for re-release by Analog Productions in LP and SACD format.
It was announced by them over a year ago--what is taking so long?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . Bach - Brandenburg Concertos - John Butt & The Dunedin Consort

A Linn two disc SACD set

I've reported on this set before and gave it glowing accolades . . . but now, listening at typical early morning. before anyone else in the house is awake, low volume, I am very bored with the music and with the playing. Think I'll change to something that holds up better to "turn it down dummy".

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-01-2014, 02:21 PM

Despite a rather silly title and weird cover, this is a fantastic recording. I mainly bought it for Nicholas Maw's "Music of Memory," a 20-minute tour-de-force based on a Mendelssohn String Quartet melody, but all of the pieces are played in a commanding style and superbly recorded.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Listening to . . . SPAIN

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Fritz Reiner, Conductor

An RCA Living Stereo LP Recorded in 1958

A truly magnificent recording of a sampling of the beautiful and powerful music of Spain.

1. Granados - Goyescas: Intermezzo
2. Falla - La Vida Breve: Intermezzo and Dance
3. Falla - Dances From 'The Three-Cornered Hat'
4. Albeniz - Iberia: Navarra
5. Albeniz - Iberia: Fete-Dieu A Seville
6. Albeniz - Iberia: Triana

Superb performances, excellent Living Stereo sound.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Life is beautiful

Back from a seminar (listened to a LOT of classical during the travel!) and now enjoying yet another performer of the music of one of my favourite composers:

Mr. de Sainte Colombe - Pièces de viole
Paolo Pandolfo
Thomas Boysen
, theorbo & baroque guitar

I am glad I have just discovered another truly great viola da gamba player.
This disc is great.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Life is beautiful

Beethoven - String Trios Complete Vol. I
Mozart String Trio

This is an old CD, from '88, sound not so excellent, but the music definitely is!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Nothing like a little Boccherini to start the day off right.

OK, OK, so Boccherini is a little obscure but he surely wrote some beautiful music, and I'm listening to. . .

Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805) - Guitar Quintets Nos. 3 & 9 - Quintets for Guitar and Strings

Pepe Romero - Guitar
Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble
Iona Brown and Malcolm Latchem Violins
Stephen Shingles - Viola
Denis Vigay - Cello

A Philips LP. recorded in 1980

From the talent on this recording, you might guess that it is wonderful - and that it is - Beautifully played and well recorded with excellent sound. And, I like the music a bunch.

Boccherini was a cellist and wrote a lot of music featuring that instrument, but his music for Guitar is gorgeous.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Good call...I have around 1600+ CDs which is probably 35%+ classical. I have the biggest collections of: Bach, Boccherini, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Haydn and Handel.

On Boccherini, I have his symphonies and all of his string trios/quartets/quintets, etc...60 CDs worth probably...great stuff.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Life is beautiful

Mieczysław Weinberg - Complete String Quartets
Quatuor Danel

While preparing for the next seminar, listening to this newly acquired box.
I read a glowing review in Fanfare Magazine, and decided I "needed" this.
Very intense music. If you like Shostakovich's String Quartets, you will certainly like this too.
These is a lot of resemblance, but there are enough differences to make it a worthwhile journey to discover these chamber works.
Already at disc 4 now...

Weinberg had quite a life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mieczysław_Weinberg
Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Listening to an RCA Victor Living Stereo LP - recorded in 1958 - When the world, and even I, were young. My gosh, that was 56 years ago and the Miracle Surface on this old, old, old, LP sounds just like new.

Fritz Reiner - The Chicago Symphony Orchestra - The Reiner Sound

You might well expect the best conductor of the era, leading the best orchestra of the half-century, recording for the absolute best record company of the time, (all of this, of course, is my personal opinion) to make a really spectacular recording to present THE REINER SOUND - sort of a signature LP for Maestro Fritz, if you will.

And, if you expected all of this, you are probably right. A terrific recording, suitable for showing-off the best stereo systems. Sure shows off mine - makes your toes curl and your mouth drop open.