AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-17-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Shunyata Power Conditioner Advice

I am looking to upgrade a Hydra 8 with an Anaconda PC.

Has anyone auditioned the latest Shunyata line up from the Venom to the Denali? Is there a sweet spot when the law of diminishing returns sets in? Would for example the Delta be sufficient?

My requirements are for front end components only as my Jeff Rowland amps have a separate JR PC-1 regenerator. Front end need is for: dCS Bartok, Aurender N10, Krell SACD Player, Roksan TT Power Supply, Modwright Phono Pre, Hovland HP Pre.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:58 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Denali is excellent. We had an Alpha A12. We went with the Everest. Wow what a difference! Blacker backgrounds. Absolutely stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 883F9568-C7DB-4050-9159-E976D312DC2E.jpeg (3.42 MB, 113 views)

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesigma View Post
I am looking to upgrade a Hydra 8 with an Anaconda PC.

Has anyone auditioned the latest Shunyata line up from the Venom to the Denali?
Yes. I've had all of them here for product photography in 2020 (I do some commercial product photography work for Shunyata Research). So, of course, I also listened to them.

Quote:
Is there a sweet spot when the law of diminishing returns sets in? Would for example the Delta be sufficient?
No. They each provide distinguishable and notable improvements from the model "lower" in the line as you move "up the line" in specification (from Venom V16 ->Delta D6 -> Alpha A12-> Sigma S12, etc.), there are clearly distinguishable benefits and added functionality for each model. What this means with respect to your investment is you obtain maximal VALUE for your dollar as you move up the product line. So, no, there is no "law of dimishing returns" with the Shunyata line of power distributors.

Denali v2 and Everest stand apart from the other lines because they have the amazing QR-BB device in them, which is a breakthrough technology. You have to hear it to...get it.

And...the entry-level Venom V16 is truly excellent (I mean, SERIOUSLY good) and...audibly better than a Triton V1 (and the Triton V1 is a big jump over your Hydra 8; I know because I owned and lived with both of them for years). As as matter-of-fact, I've got a rack mount version of the Venom V16 that's in for products photography, and I could live with it forever and be a happy man.

Quote:
My requirements are for front end components only as my Jeff Rowland amps have a separate JR PC-1 regenerator. Front end need is for: dCS Bartok, Aurender N10, Krell SACD Player, Roksan TT Power Supply, Modwright Phono Pre, Hovland HP Pre.
Also...my advice would be to give full consideration to using a Shunyata power distributor for your amps, as well. My experience with regenerators (based on first-hand comparisons in my home with my system) is...they don't work as well as Shunyata power distributors. That's our fearless leader, MasterLu's experience experience as well, comparing the PS Audio line of PS-series regenerators with the lastest Shunyata power distributors.

Last, you'll want to upgrade your PC if that's in your budget. The latest line of Shunyata power cords are significantly better than the old Anaconda model.

If you give me your budget range, I can help you to determine which power distributor would best meet your needs. Then, MasterLu, who is a Shunyata dealer, can give you an excellent deal if you become a Subscriber.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:38 PM

I can't give you an across-the-line comparison, but I upgraded a Hydra 8 v2 to a Delta D6 in my bedroom "listening reference" system (detailed in my signature block). The Hydra 8 v2 was paired initially with a Black Mamba CX power cord to the wall, and then with a Delta NR v1; the Delta D6 initially with a Delta NR v1, and then a Delta XC v2. In each case, the source components and amplifier were connected to the conditioner. (Note that the amp used has a fixed, non-detachable power cord, so I can't connect it via a Shunyata power cord.)

As good as the Hydra 8 v2 was/is, the Delta D6 introduced a substantial improvement in the rendering of tonality, timbre, image specificity and dimensionality, soundstage breadth and depth, dynamic range and impact, and overall resolution. And what was good initially improved markedly when I updated the Delta power cords to conditioner and source to their respective v2 iterations.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
I can't give you an across-the-line comparison, but I upgraded a Hydra 8 v2 to a Delta D6 in my bedroom "listening reference" system (detailed in my signature block). The Hydra 8 v2 was paired initially with a Black Mamba CX power cord to the wall, and then with a Delta NR v1; the Delta D6 initially with a Delta NR v1, and then a Delta XC v2. In each case, the source components and amplifier were connected to the conditioner. (Note that the amp used has a fixed, non-detachable power cord, so I can't connect it via a Shunyata power cord.)

As good as the Hydra 8 v2 was/is, the Delta D6 introduced a substantial improvement in the rendering of tonality, timbre, image specificity and dimensionality, soundstage breadth and depth, dynamic range and impact, and overall resolution. And what was good initially improved markedly when I updated the Delta power cords to conditioner and source to their respective v2 iterations.
Hi Jim,
Thanks sharing your experiences. The improvements you describe are 100% consistent with the improvements I hear as well.

Hope you're doing well. Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am going to audition several models up to the Denali. As a constant I will be using a Shunyata Sigma XC v2 PC to go to the wall. Starting out with the Delta. It should be interesting. I will post my observations.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am going to audition several models up to the Denali. As a constant I will be using a Shunyata Sigma XC v2 PC to go to the wall. Starting out with the Delta. It should be interesting. I will post my observations.
Excellent plan, 3σ. Let us know what you find out and what you decide.

BTW, my product shots for the Venom V16 power distributor are in a 2-page ad in the December and January issues of The Absolute Sound. I didn't even know these shots were going to be used in the ad, so it was fun surprise. Pretty cool...

Cheers.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Denali is excellent. We had an Alpha A12. We went with the Everest. Wow what a difference! Blacker backgrounds. Absolutely stunning.
JoeN,
Tight fit for your Everest! Nice rack too - who makes it?
Wilson
Old 12-18-2021, 02:52 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
JoeN,http://www.adonacorporation.com/products.html
Tight fit for your Everest! Nice rack too - who makes it?
Wilson
Hi,

Yes it is very tight. But it sits nicely and actually helps a little with cable management. We will be working on more cable magement this coming week when the new speakers arrive.

The racks are Adona Racks. They are extremely nice. Very stable. Each rack in my set up holds 300+ lbs. Good thing as the TT is 183 just by itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 240FBAE4-0321-49CC-A42E-71494C21553D.jpeg (2.67 MB, 94 views)
File Type: jpeg 20E199D6-2985-408F-835D-24565DEC0A65.jpeg (3.68 MB, 108 views)

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Hi,

Yes it is very tight. But it sits nicely and actually helps a little with cable management. We will be working on more cable magement this coming week when the new speakers arrive.

The racks are Adona Racks. They are extremely nice. Very stable. Each rack in my set up holds 300+ lbs. Good thing as the TT is 183 just by itself.
JoeN,
Beautiful system Joe. Thanks for that link. I have to ask, what's that turntable? Sorry if this thread is getting off track.
Wilson