AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4

If I was spending my money i would buy a Pass Labs integrated int30.5 (class A so rich sound like tubes) or Conrad Johnson CA200. Or Accuphase or Luxman if not an American brand.
Forgot to mention new decware zen torii. I demoed it. Sounded awesome. With 90db+ efficient speakers it is a great buy.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesailor
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys ! To answer a few questions – new or used is fine by me although I do prefer either S/S or possibly a hybrid. Trying to avoid full on tubes at this point.

Some ideas I have been kicking around include the Unico Seconda, Roksan K2, Creek Destiny 2 and I like the MF gear as well. I have had good luck with Roksan before but never tried Unico, Creek or MF. Open to other ideas as well…..
Have you heard the creek? If so what are your thoughts?

Have you considred the Naim XS? The Exposure 2010 got great review in stereophile if that means anything. My buddy heard it too, and loved it, however like me he needs a HTBP.

Last edited by callas01; 01-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Have you heard the creek? If so what are your thoughts?

Have you considred the Naim XS? The Exposure 2010 got great review in stereophile if that means anything. My buddy heard it too, and loved it, however like me he needs a HTBP.
Never heard a Creek before. I have not heard the Naim XS but did enjoy a Nait 5i in the past although I found Roksan to be preferable. Have yet hear to an Exposure either.

Lot's of choices out there.....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
If I was spending my money i would buy a Pass Labs integrated int30.5 (class A so rich sound like tubes) or Conrad Johnson CA200. Or Accuphase or Luxman if not an American brand.
Lakesailor, not sure if you can stretch your budget, but there's one of these beauties over in the "selling audio gear" section right now...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPlanar View Post
Going to the used market here are a few suggestions, 2 SS and 2 tube:
McIntosh MA6500
Marantz K1 Pearl Edition
Cary SLI-80Manley Labs Stingray

I've owned both the Mac and the Cary and was quite happy with those.
+1 on the Cary.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Lakesailor, not sure if you can stretch your budget, but there's one of these beauties over in the "selling audio gear" section right now...
Stretching the budget would be one thing....doubling it would be another. I like the CJ and would love to try one however it is roughly twice what I am looking to spend as this will be an integrated in a secondary system running a pair of stand mounts.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
No one here ever talks about Musical Fidelity - but this British company makes exceptional, modestly priced integrated amplifiers, CD players and a variety of other very good to excellent equipment.

Over the years, I've owned several of their products and they are very, very good at their price points.

A good choice would be a used A-5 or A-5.5 - see the review on 6 Moons at: 6moons audio reviews: Musical Fidelity A5 CDP*& Integrated

These integrated amps are available used at well under $2,000, are very well made and possess prodigious clean and pure power. They include a very good phono stage and sound terrific.

Thx for the suggestion Julian....I ended up following it and just purchased an MF from a dealer in Quebec. This is the second time I have basically found an NIB integrated. I am looking forward to my new MF arriving...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Nice!

Give us the full report after you've had a chance to set it up.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
Nice!

Give us the full report after you've had a chance to set it up.
Thanks Erik...it arrived yesterday so now I can add some comments on it….

I found this MF A1008 from a dealer in Quebec…this is the second time I have essentially found a NIB from a dealer in this Province. In this case I was told it was mostly on static display but otherwise NIB….the A1008 arrived in full factory packaging with most items still factory sealed. I bought the A1008 mostly from a positive previous experience with an MF kW500 paired with B&W 805S (also what I will be using) and the onboard DAC was something I would use.

Although most have stated the A1008 is an updated version of the kW500 comparing the two in person reminds me of the old Group C rally cars and how they had to make 500 “production” versions for homologation qualification. In this case comparing the A1008 to the kW500 is kind of a similar comparison with the A1008 serving as the “production” versions while the Kw500 would be the full on ltd. edition Group C rally car. When you see it in person you will know what I mean. The A1008 has all of the same attributes of the kw500 but in a smaller scale. Obviously the A1008 is a more recent design so it has the onboard DAC and a few other features as well.

After several hours of listening so far today…

I was reminded immediately of the need for tubes to warm up and more so in this case as I don’t know if this unit was ever used before, and if so, for how long. …I also don’t know about burn in time as this varies with every component…After a good hour of warm up time, I sat down with it and “wicked it up” (as the Brits would say) There is no question that MF pairs very well with B&W…I could sense immediately the increased dynamics and the ability to “rock” with the 805S…the bass output was not like anything I had experienced with my 805’s in my current system and reminded me more of listening to them on the MF Kw 500…

The imaging is very precise, more focussed then what I had been using previously in this system…at this point I don’t know that the depth is there but I suspect that is more a case of more burn in time required. Detail and articulation is very good, I actually heard a few details in some of the music that I had not heard before. That was a surprise to me. It is too early to tell at this point where it excels and what the overall strengths are, and likewise what the tradeoffs are.

The A1008 definitely has a wide soundstage compared to my McIntosh 6900 and does a very good job placing the instruments around that soundstange. Listening to some ‘Coltrane I was hugely impressed with how well it separated the Sax from the piano almost as if you could picture two musicians up on stage opposite each other in a jazz club. I also was hugely impressed at how well it articulates the horns...the sax is simply incredible. It is also very strong with the strings and has good detail. I am not totally formulated yet on how it does with the piano, although that is always a strong spot of the B&W’s

Although I still have not really heard enough to totally feel out the A1008 early impressions are that the upper end grip and overall control are quite impressive…it does a nice job hanging onto the highs without any excess brightness whatsoever. It somewhat reminds me of Roksan integrateds in how well it does this, although I suspect in large part it is on account of the dynamics afforded from the added power. The A1008 has tons of current and there is no question that the 805S responds and comes alive with the added power.

To date I am finding it very listenable. It’s definitely on the laid back side and I would not label it as forward or aggressive. At the same token I would not at this point suggest it has the same level of attack as the Roksan or in particular the Naim I have also had previously. It seems more like a naturally aspirated large displacement engine all about torque that is happy to idle along and chew up anything you throw at it. It does a nice job with vocals and overall I have at this point found nothing to fault. It reminds me of the first time I heard the MF Kw500 and when listening critically I found that the amplifier nicely takes itself out of the equation and leaves the music behind

I hope this all doesn’t sound too rosy I can’t say I am bouncing off the walls in glee, mostly just taking things one step at a time and thus far not finding anything that stands out adversely. I am going to try and “play the tubes out of it” for the next two days to see if any problems show up.

I will also say that that the onboard DAC does the job nicely…no complaints so far. I expect feeding this thing a decent source would be very interesting. So far it is 80 lbs of very enjoyable integrated amplifier. Only major complaint so far is that OEM power cord is unbelievable cheap (fortunately the supplied dual mains cables are much nicer) and also the remote control is fairly unimpressive for a unit with a $5K MSRP. The remote volume adjustment could also be a tad more sensitive…..it’s effective at making large scale volume adjustments but less adept at small increments up and down. All for now….. Off to listen some more…..

Last edited by lakesailor; 01-28-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks for sharing the good write up.

I too enjoy my MF A5 Int immensely with my B&W CDM 1NTs and what you have described parallels the synergy I hear with my rig.

I know the A5 is the much jr offering compared to the Kw500...if I could only win the lottery

I've also read that B&Ws seem to match better with SS amplification, but will admit that was something I read on the internet....