AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 12-13-2021, 12:08 AM

Freddie, agreed the Kirmuss is not a device I personally would consider. I couldn't even remember the name of it when I posted that and when Googling for US RCMs it didn't come up for pages, perhaps there's something to be said for that. The only thing I could remember is the guy in the lab coast.

I've heard nothing but great things about VPI's RCM and with VPI you know you'll be taken care of if you ever need a part or service. That's the only negative I can say about my KLAudio cleaners, how much longer will they be servicing them in the event something goes sideways? And who knows, in 5 years we may have many more ultrasonic RCMs to choose from.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:50 AM
Subaholic

I had a Vpi, really cheap, poorly made POS. I gave it away to a friend. he's already had to replace the motor. I just received a Squeaky Clean unit yesterday, I'll give it a try since it was affordable on SS Income

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:00 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Joel, I'm very happy with my new Degritter. I'm in the process of cleaning all my records with the new machine. That said, I haven't owned any other RCM, so can't provide a comparison, although it's obviously not the only quality option. For me, the price point was attractive, and I'm a big fan of anything Estonian (our piano is an Estonia and we toured the factory in Talinn). Played one LP before and after and although the record was newly purchased, there was an improvement with less 'snap-crackle-and-pop'. There are three cleaning cycles and you can adjust drying time (faster-noisier) and the user interface is excellent. One tip - turn on the machine and check via the menu for the firmware version, and compare that to what Degritter lists online vs. bothering downloading the firmware onto an SD card first. My machine was up-to-date out of the box.

The only downside, for some, is its noise - I've got mine in my office where it's convenient to use, but I'm definitely not going to play a Chopin nocturne while running the machine; the drying cycle is almost like running a vacuum cleaner.

After having cleaned all my records once, I'm not sure to what extent I will use it in the future. Certainly not after every play of a record, and I know some of the old jazz LPs that survived Mom and Dad's cocktail parties back in the day will need extra care, so it will be on an as-needed basis.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-13-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Freddie, if you ever do look at an ultrasonic, the water re-use issue probably isn't such a big deal. Of course, with each use, some gunk will get in the water, and there's more with each re-use. That said, the amount of gunk would be so low and diluted that the first X number of re-uses won't matter. That "X: on the Degritter has an upper limit of about 40 before the machine tells you to change and/or a week of use. (I've had to top up the water level since you lose a bit in each drying process). Of course, that number, "X:, is each user's decision as to what he's comfortable with, but without objective measurements it's a matter of what you hear over time, and I'd rather just re-clean than attempt something like figuring out how much gunk gets deposited with each use (although YouTube probably has someone who's tried that, LOL).

I took a picture of the first filter I used after something like 38 uses, and changed the water. At some point I may run a new filter and water on the same number of records that have been cleaned once, and see what the filter looks like by comparison. Digression alert: Of course, if I'm re-cleaning just the new vinyl I've bought in recent years vs. my dad's old stuff that was stacked on a spindle, handled during a number parties back in the 60s, and - he once told me just to yank my audiophile chain - thrown like frisbees at those parties, results may vary.. [end of digression]. That said, the purpose of the machine is getting my records cleaner and I know I'm achieving about as well as is possible with today's technology, so all is good.

I guess I'm into this topic at the moment, being in the midst of cleaning all my records for the first time, and have a bit of time during some of these cleanings!

One benefit of doing a cleaning of all the records at my desk (the cleaning machine fits on my printer stand behind my desk) is that I can enter each cleaning onto a spreadsheet, and create a database of all the records we own, something I've been meaning to do for years, but for which I never made the time. That will help prevent me from wondering if I already have something while I'm at the record store.
You can use Discogs database to manage your vinyl collection, they also have a mobile app which is pretty handy when you're at the record store (but it won't keep track of the records cleaning!)
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-13-2021, 11:14 AM

I just ordered the Degritter, scheduled for January 14th and 5-7 business days for delivery.

A good way to start the new year
Old 12-13-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
I just ordered the Degritter, scheduled for January 14th and 5-7 business days for delivery.

A good way to start the new year

[emoji106]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-13-2021, 05:06 PM

Congrats on the purchae Joel.

For the record (see what I did there ) I don't have anything against ultrasonic RCM's. Several friends I know have them and swear by them. If there is a knock it would be the price point. I suppose I'm just satisfied with my VPI and see no reason to change. I've had it a dozen years and bought it used so I have no idea how old it really is. Built like a tank and still produces a strong vacuum.

With over 5000 vinyl LP's in my collection the idea of a spreadsheet is nice, but implementing it would be a formidable task for which I'm just too lazy to even consider.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:40 AM
Listener in Training

Congratulations Joel! Thanks for the tip about using Discogs to manage your inventory, let alone the want list. Great resource, and one I'm using quite a bit to figure out the version of some of my old records.

Freddie, man, that's a formidable collection. I agree that if something works don't mess with it (actual audio gear might be an exception).. That said, it's always good to 'air out' questions, thoughts, and experience. Heck, I remember when I had a gig selling stereo gear, CDs came out and they were going to permanently replace vinyl. Now look at the conversations we're having.

My collection is something like 300-400 LPs, and I do think the RCM will provide an impetus to play vinyl more, as well as putting a TT in the office where the physical layout is easier to spin vinyl.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-14-2021, 01:42 PM

Thanks Gentlemen!
Old 01-15-2022, 05:33 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Congrats on the purchae Joel.

For the record (see what I did there ) I don't have anything against ultrasonic RCM's. Several friends I know have them and swear by them. If there is a knock it would be the price point. I suppose I'm just satisfied with my VPI and see no reason to change. I've had it a dozen years and bought it used so I have no idea how old it really is. Built like a tank and still produces a strong vacuum.

With over 5000 vinyl LP's in my collection the idea of a spreadsheet is nice, but implementing it would be a formidable task for which I'm just too lazy to even consider.
Five thousand? Wow. I have maybe 700 or so (guesstimate). Some of your 5,000 probably haven't been played in a while. I have an old InDesign file I could update, so I have a head start (619 LPs in 2007); you, however, need a system or an inventory list to keep up with that many!

As for RCMs, my VPI HW-16.5 still works after 27 years. Cleaning the felt on the pick-up tubes, I've realized, is a good idea. I also bought some new Mobile Fidelity brushes and a Zerostat, despite the fact I hardly play records these days. That needs to change, as I've started buying again.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks