AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM

I think the cd format is long in the tooth and although it will no doubt be with us for a few more years, the future is in hi resolution download and hi resolution streaming services for a modest monthly fee. For those who have a large cd collection buying a top tier cdp makes sense. If you only have 150 cd's then using the mac mini with a good dac or investing in Olive or Sooloos may make more sense.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I think the cd format is long in the tooth and although it will no doubt be with us for a few more years, the future is in hi resolution download and hi resolution streaming services for a modest monthly fee. For those who have a large cd collection buying a top tier cdp makes sense. If you only have 150 cd's then using the mac mini with a good dac or investing in Olive or Sooloos may make more sense.
+1. I'm sure the k-01 and K-03 are amazing players....but I agree with 1KW that the future is high res downloads. For me, I went a different route. I bought a EMM Labs DAC2X DAC and used my Mac Mini (running iTunes and Audirvana+). I ripped all my CD's to apple lossless. I use the free Apple Remote for my iPad to control my iTunes/Audirvana on my Mac Mini. I bought a really good USB cable - WW Platinum. I then use my Oppo 105 for any SACD's I don't have ripped to DSD that I want to hear.

Furthermore, I've set my iTunes to automatically rip CD's to AppleLossless upon insert of a new CD. So, when my package of new CD's arrives, I pop them in and they start ripping. When they're done, they pop out and are unlikely to see the light of day again. What I'm left with is a bit perfect copy of the CD - easily accessible via my iTunes Apple Remote on my iPad and sounding great in lossless format!!

The only change I'm contemplating is the change from a Mac Mini to a CAPS 3.0. You can google CAPS 3.0 for more info. But I'm not sure I would hear a difference since Audirvana is just pulling the bits and bytes from the Mac Mini and there is no audio processing done by iTunes. Everything is handled by the DAC2X.

I like the ability of making playlists, quickly switching through different artists as the mood strikes and more. Not having to get up and swap CD's is nice too (that's my lazy side talking).

Sound quality wise, it's as good, if not better than my previous CD/SACD player setup. It allows me to access all the high res music that is out there (and more is coming every week). 24/96, 24/192 files are not a problem.

It's a tough call....stick with a tried and true player or venture into the brave new world of computer audiophile. I chose the later and haven't looked back.

Mike
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
For me, I went a different route. I bought a EMM Labs DAC2X DAC and used my Mac Mini (running iTunes and Audirvana+). I ripped all my CD's to apple lossless. I use the free Apple Remote for my iPad to control my iTunes/Audirvana on my Mac Mini. I bought a really good USB cable - WW Platinum. I then use my Oppo 105 for any SACD's I don't have ripped to DSD that I want to hear.

Mike
+1

I agree that something like this would be the better way to go. I haven't had a disc player in years. I do the same with CD's by just ripping them to my HDD and playing through my Mac Mini. The Oppo is an inexpensive way to play your media when that need arises.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 AM

I love the modded Sonos with MOG for more casual listening.

But I really want to hear classical albums - I have the full set of sacd RCA albums -- hence the desire for the player unless I buy vinyl.

I want something simple. Not another computer to manage...

Still open to all ideas.

Last edited by Freestone; 01-07-2013 at 02:26 AM.