AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM

I know Matt's right...but I see that sub every day!
And I know that I am in love with the sound I have. No complaints about the music at all.

Maybe Shindo should make one! (Or that's just their bigger speakers...)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Well, I would certainly defer to Matt and his expertise in this and his equipment. But I will say this, Freestone - until you try you will always wonder. So that is why I encouraged the trial. Then you can "report", as i suggested. FWIW, I previously tried a sub in my system and simply did not like the mix. Things seemed out of whack. But until I did, I really wasn't happy because I was wondering.... Now it's all 2 channel with my Os and as I note in my signature tag line - analogue bliss!

Last edited by FranklinLG; 12-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Well, I would certainly defer to Matt and his expertise in this and his equipment. But I will say this, Freestone - until you try you will always wonder. So that is why I encouraged the trial. Then you can "report", as i suggested. FWIW, I previously tried a sub in my system and simply did not like the mix. Things seemed out of whack. But until I did, I really wasn't happy because I was wondering.... Now it's all 2 channel with my Os and as I note in my signature tag line - analogue bliss!

Maybe I will plug it in next time Matt comes over. I don't doubt him at all but it would be a fun experiment since I have it. (And the g2 is better integrated than most subs)

Nonetheless deeper bass isn't that important to me - not compared to the midrange magic and tightness of the current bass if it were to adversely affect that as Matt says.

But I am sure it would just be a fun few minute experiment.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM

I suspect Matt is correct but I'm with Franklin - give it go and see what happens.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM

In my 45 years of audio hobbie and being in the business for over 30 years I never heard a subwoofer perform like it truly intergraded. At some point you will sonically pinpoint the
sourcew of the bass and then its all over. Now it you using it for video sound then it doesnt matter. But they are fun to try.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
Maybe I will plug it in next time Matt comes over. I don't doubt him at all but it would be a fun experiment since I have it. (And the g2 is better integrated than most subs)

Nonetheless deeper bass isn't that important to me - not compared to the midrange magic and tightness of the current bass if it were to adversely affect that as Matt says.

But I am sure it would just be a fun few minute experiment.
Done right the sub would add to the musical performance of the system.

Done wrong it won't. It's pretty straightforward actually.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSea View Post
In my 45 years of audio hobbie and being in the business for over 30 years I never heard a subwoofer perform like it truly intergraded. At some point you will sonically pinpoint the
sourcew of the bass and then its all over. Now it you using it for video sound then it doesnt matter. But they are fun to try.
If by subwoofer you are referring to how they are normally used/set up,I understand your issues. Uneven bass pressure is an indicator of improper setup of the mains and or woofer (assuming the woofer is capable-can be crossed low enough)

If on the other hand, you were to properly set them up as an extension of the mains and not a replacement for them, you might be surprised.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

If by subwoofer you are referring to how they are normally used/set up,I understand your issues. Uneven bass pressure is an indicator of improper setup of the mains and or woofer (assuming the woofer is capable-can be crossed low enough)

If on the other hand, you were to properly set them up as an extension of the mains and not a replacement for them, you might be surprised.
Any suggestion on where to try crossing it over?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
Any suggestion on where to try crossing it over?
First you should be using the high level connection

Don't know how low the speakers are going in your room so it's hard to say on crossover. I think it was a Shindo thread where someone attributed about 10 extra hertz to the low end of a stand up bass and then said the speaker went that low.

Be sure to check room position and phase before you start. You should also revisit these at the very end of the process to double check. Position especially might need to be shifted slightly for best transient alignment once woofer is dialed in.

The trick is to set the proper level with a lower than correct crossover and then bring the crossover up click by click to fill the hole between sub and mains. IF the speaker really does usable 35Hz in room, you will likely be as low as 25Hz and as high as 31 or 32Hz. But I am guessing based upon an estimated extension. Once the hole is filled reassess level. You may have to drop the gain. Almost all G2 setups I have seen have the woofer below 20 in gain.

Have fun.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM

I tried adding a pair of TBI subwoofers that belonged to a friend. After several weeks of trying to adjust them, the best adjustment was off. They screwed up lower mids, etc. No the Petite Latours don't go into the 20's and are rolled off in the 30's, but with the right set up and adjustment they will deliver solid, musical base that will tell you how much rosin is on Starker's bass strings.

But I just had to try it. So, Freestone, my advice is scratch that itch.