Yes, happy listening!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
A new Giscours will be mine this year!

Barr
Hey Barr-

Happy New Year !

So when do you trade in your VR for the Giscours ?

I'm jealous !

Hope to see you this weekend....

David
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM

Hey Barr- That's great news, I doubt it gets much better. I heard the V/R just recently, and really wonder how much better it can get. My goal this year is a Homage T2. I haven't heard it yet, but have heard it is unreal w/ the Tsd-15.
I know an $1800 cartridge with a 5K SUT may seem unusual, but I don't believe it is in this case. Enjoy the Giscours in good health. It's nice that Matt has elves that deliver year round.

Don
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 AM

FJN,

Re the Giscours vs VR, I know it's hard to believe, but the differences are significant. Enough to make me wish I'd pulled the trigger sooner. I just love the Giscours, as its style is more in line with what moves me.

Re the T2, well I can easily say it is amazing. And while it is pricey, I think its impact on the vinyl playback is incredible. But if I could only make one move - Giscours vs the T2, I'd likely choose the Giscours 5 times out of 7.

just my random 2 cents.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
FJN,

Re the Giscours vs VR, I know it's hard to believe, but the differences are significant. Enough to make me wish I'd pulled the trigger sooner. I just love the Giscours, as its style is more in line with what moves me.

Re the T2, well I can easily say it is amazing. And while it is pricey, I think its impact on the vinyl playback is incredible. But if I could only make one move - Giscours vs the T2, I'd likely choose the Giscours 5 times out of 7.

just my random 2 cents.
Hey FranklinLG-

Perhaps a silly question.....

If one has a Giscours, then why would one need/like/want an external step-up, e.g. the Auditorium 23 T2 ?

Isn't the internal step-up on such an expensive preamp adequate, or shouldn't it be the ultimate, and if not, why not ?

Especially considering the system approach, + if one uses the theoretical turntable reference, the Shindo 301 System, it seems odd to use another company's product (yes I know that the T2 is made to work w/ Shindo)-

Thanks for your advice and thoughts-

David
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Hello All - First thank for the good wishes, it's good to have something to look forward to arriving from Japan. And also a note that I have enjoyed all the postings on this forum.

Yes, I have traded in my V-R for the Giscours, Jonathan pushed me over the edge, I am always chasing him.

To the poster who mentioned the T2, I was fortunate enough to upgrade my A23 SUT for a T2 around November of last year, well worth it, not having the Giscours yet, I cannot state which is a better first move, V-R to Giscours or moving to a T2....but all EMT cartridges in my system, mono and stereo.

To David, I know either Jonathan or Matt will pitch in here, but the rationale for the external SUT was that it is better suited for many of the cartridges we use than the ones in the Shindo. To be honest, I find that odd too, given the price on the Shindo pre-amps, but it is what it is, though I know there are some folks on this site very happy using the built in transformers on their Shindo pre amps. Will drop you a note tomorrow.

All done now on pre amps, no where else for me to go (well there is but financially I am done).

Best wishes to all!

Barr
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
To be honest, I find that odd too, given the price on the Shindo pre-amps, but it is what it is, though I know there are some folks on this site very happy using the built in transformers on their Shindo pre amps.
Shindo's internal step up transformer design is centered around low impedance carts (SPU/etc). However, to give you cartridge flexibility and allow you to enjoy carts of a different spec he includes the MM input, to bypass the internal step up. So it's quite flexible. Both MM and MC are wired into the same phono stage obviously.

Hence, the use of an external step up transformer (A23 '103', or Hommage T2) suit higher impedance type carts (like Denon, EMT, and so forth)...

The internal step up (or an external step up like A23 Hommage T1 or Shindo Arome into the MM) input maximizes SPU type cartridges.

Best,
-Matt

Last edited by pitch perfect; 01-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post

Hey FranklinLG-

If one has a Giscours, then why would one need/like/want an external step-up, e.g. the Auditorium 23 T2 ?

Isn't the internal step-up on such an expensive preamp adequate, or shouldn't it be the ultimate, and if not, why not ?

Especially considering the system approach, + if one uses the theoretical turntable reference, the Shindo 301 System, it seems odd to use another company's product (yes I know that the T2 is made to work w/ Shindo)-

Thanks for your advice and thoughts-

David
T1 for shindo 301 system. Just a notch above the internal.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino View Post
Hey FranklinLG-

...See my previous post... The internal SUT is for low impedance carts. Jonathan is using a cartridge that is optimized by the use of a transformer better suited for his cartridge. The A23 Hommage T2 fits this bill.

Shindo couldn't possibility account for all the cartridge types on the market, that is why he includes a MM input on the preamps so you can use whatever you choose.

However - if using a low imp. cart like an SPU or similar spec'd cart then simply use the internal step up transformer and get incredible sound.

But, for those customers looking to maximize every point of their setup, the use of an Hommage T1 or Arome may be desirable.

-M