AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 09-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Default Power cables...where to start 1st

Hi;

I think I'm going to pick up a power cable or 2 before I delve into my IC purchase because I see a lot of positive feedback about adding quality power cables and in my setup these will be easier to move around the system should I wish to experiment.

What piece of equipment should I start with? That will help me also determine the length I would need.

I was going to start with my Bryston 28's because it was looking like I was going to be able to get a pair of Shunyata Sigma HC's and it only made sense to put those on either my 28's or possibly my 2 power conditioners but that has apparently unfortuantely fallen through

I'm back to going after Siltech Ruby Hill II's so now I'm open to putting the cables on any piece as these are more general purpose cables not necessairly designed specifically for high current equipment like the Sigma HC's.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Its been discussed a few times, I think most people including myself would prioritise the amp, then source, then preamp.
If you have a conditioner, that is 1st priority.

I use all WW silver electra power cables, and I like them.

I would get a cheaper line if I had to do it again I think though..
Old 09-24-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Its been discussed a few times, I think most people including myself would prioritise the amp, then source, then preamp. If you have a conditioner, that is 1st priority. I use all WW silver electra power cables, and I like them. I would get a cheaper line if I had to do it again I think though..
Why the cheaper line? Same performance at lower cost?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM

I heard a difference and spent quite some time A/B'ing some of the lines.

Its just that compared to something like getting room acoustics right, its just a very small gain that I would put lower of my priority list.

So in my next life I start with the acoustics and grab the entry power cables and look into the mid/upper lines as the last step on my sacred audio journey...
Old 09-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
I heard a difference and spent quite some time A/B'ing some of the lines. Its just that compared to something like getting room acoustics right, its just a very small gain that I would put lower of my priority list. So in my next life I start with the acoustics and grab the entry power cables and look into the mid/upper lines as the last step on my sacred audio journey...
The better cables may give a more discernible result with higher resolving hardware...
Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 PM

Obviously..
Old 09-24-2015, 06:04 PM

I added a Shunyata MPC-12 and their Venom HC cables, but I can't hear a difference over stock
Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Personally before spending moderate amount on power cables I would look at PS Audio P10 or IsoTek Evo3 Titan - or something comparable to either.
Or even get an electrician around to put the audio gear on its own circuit, if possible without too much hassle, and while there to double check and make as good as possible the house mains ground/bond.
The last point actually helped my SQ a little bit as originally the house ground was ok but not done to highest standard.
Cheers
Orb
Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 PM

I do have 2 conditioners so perhaps if I start with 2 cables I'll be able to swap and compare vs being used on the amps. No need for PS Audio, my Furman's are every bit as good on power delivery and providing clean stable power.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I added a Shunyata MPC-12 and their Venom HC cables, but I can't hear a difference over stock
It's definitely experiences like these that scare me as the components we buy aren't cheap and neither are the cables.

From power units, conditioners, etc. I guess the audible change one would be hoping to achieve would be reduced background noise. Unrelated and more so an attribute of conditioners rather than say floor units like the MPC-12 is the current delivery. Units like the big Bryston BIT's and equivilent Torus units or units like Furman's IT-Reference 20 and probably PS Audio's P10 have large power supplies for such purposes which help ensure amps especially have the necessary current when needed.

What were you hoping for out of the MPC-12? What power cable did you purchase for it? You have to buy your own for this unit don't you?

Another floor unit which comes to mind would be Siltech's Octopus. Anyone try either of the three variants?