AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 09-03-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post

Dave told me that it's very costly to design and execute a proper very good quality true differential or fully balanced design circuitry, and so instead Classe only implemented proper true differential or fully balanced design for only front LR channels on the Sigma SSP and decided to implement and execute good quality single-ended design circuitry for the remaining channels. Cause if you weren't executing a true differential or fully balanced circuitry properly you would wind up amplifying noise further. So, due to budget and cost constraint in order to make a lower priced AV pre pro (Sigma SSP) Dave told me that they decided to go with good quality single-ended design circuitry for the center, surround & subwoofer channels.HT surround sound processors.
"Balanced" definitely adds levels of complexity, particularly to a preamp stage, such as the necessity to convert 'unbalanced' sources to 'balanced' outputs and vise versa, and additionally there's also the not insubstantial issue of implementing a fully balanced volume control, which requires double the number of gangs of attenuation, which becomes costly when a high degree of precision is demanded, as it is in a flagship model. Marantz actually went a step further with their (now discontinued) SC7S2 preamp and added precision attenuator gangs to the inverting as well as non-inverting inputs so that the input impedances track across the full range of volume control. This delivers lowest dc offset and lowest distortion with differential amplifiers.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
"Balanced" definitely adds levels of complexity, particularly to a preamp stage, such as the necessity to convert 'unbalanced' sources to 'balanced' outputs and vise versa, and additionally there's also the not insubstantial issue of implementing a fully balanced volume control, which requires double the number of gangs of attenuation, which becomes costly when a high degree of precision is demanded, as it is in a flagship model. Marantz actually went a step further with their (now discontinued) SC7S2 preamp and added precision attenuator gangs to the inverting as well as non-inverting inputs so that the input impedances track across the full range of volume control. This delivers lowest dc offset and lowest distortion with differential amplifiers.
Very true indeed.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I think blue VU meters are trademark for McIntosh only. No other brands have blue VU meters, they have VU meters but not blue. Only Mac products have blue VU meters.
I guess I'm color blind then.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM

Those were vintage Marantz gears. I wasn't around when they first released them. That was way before my time. I wasn't born back then. Lol.....
Old 09-04-2020, 10:17 PM

That Marantz model 2275 pictured above (I had the optional wood case) was the core of my first "real" system in the early '70s! (Along with a Dual turntable with a Shure V15 type III, an Advent cassette deck, a pair of EPI 250 speakers, and Polk Audio speaker cables.) It sounded quite good! And then I started upgrading, and haven't stopped since...

And yes, those displays were definitely blue, and quite handsome...

Last edited by Crumhorn; 09-14-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 AM

I've heard that Marantz used to be quite high end back then. Today Marantz is one of a big box store brand alongside Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer & Sony with the exception of their Reference series line.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
That Marantz model 2275 pictured above (I had the optional wood case) was the core of my first "real" system in the early '70s! (Along with a Dual turntable with a Shure V15 type III, an Advent cassette deck, and a pair of EPI 250 speakers, and Polk Audio speaker cables.) It sounded quite good! And then I started upgrading, and haven't stopped since...

And yes, those displays were definitely blue, and quite handsome...
Never heard of EPI speakers before. Must have been long before I was born. lol.
Back in the 1980s my dad used to have a Nakmichi Dragon cassette deck player and he told me it was one of the best sounding cassette deck player ever made. I wish I was around to experience that back then. He kept the Dragon till early to mid 1990s I think.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I've heard that Marantz used to be quite high end back then. Today Marantz is one of a big box store brand alongside Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer & Sony with the exception of their Reference series line.

Onkyo and Pioneer are now unfortunately out of the equation.

The av processors of Marantz are also almost high end.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
Onkyo and Pioneer are now unfortunately out of the equation.

The av processors of Marantz are also almost high end.
Onkyo, Sony & Pioneer nowadays only make home theater gears.
The Marantz flagship AV880x processors are great for the money and are clearly better than Onkyo & Yamaha processors but their matching multichannel power amps suck. Onkyo & Yamaha multichannel amps are probably even worse than the Marantz's.

Even Marantz stereo integrated amps from their Reference series I found them ok and not too competitive at their price ranges, but their Reference series CD/SACD players are pretty awesome for the money for those who are still spinning silver discs.

Last edited by Dilettante; 09-05-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The original company, founded by Saul Marantz in Long Island, NY, was a very high end brand that started in the tube era & (I think) never made solid-state products. By the time I bought that receiver, they were Japanese, SS & decidedly mid-fi, but good mid-fi. The original American Marantz tube models are highly prized collectors items today.