AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 08-26-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Looking for a new HT processor that supports 4K HDR

I'm looking for a more current AV pre pro that supports 4K latest HDR Dolby Vision to replace my Classe SSP 800 av pre pro in my dedicated home theater setup. There's nothing wrong with my SSP 800. it has served me well in the last 8 or 9 years and the sound quality is phenomenal but the SSP 800 does not support 4K. I'm going to move up and upgrade to the latest Sony 4K OLED TV and get the flagship Pioneer Elite UDP LX-500 4K UHD bluray player soon along with those 4K capable movie streaming devices to stream 4K streaming movies. Still currently using the Oppo 105 which is connected via HDMI to my Classe SSP 800.
I use this setup mainly for bluray movie disc and occasional DVD-Audio (high resolution audio disc) music playbacks for now, but when I get the Sony 4K OLED TV I will also be getting those 4K capable movie streaming devices as well as the Pioneer Elite UDP LX-500 4K UHD bluray player.
I don't do stereo listening in this HT setup. I have a separate dedicated stereo setup / system in a separate room.
And I have no desire to upgrade to Atmos setup. DTS-HD Master Audio & Dolby True-HD are good enough for me.

Anyways, I'm considering the Marantz AV8805, the latest NAD M17 v2, Anthem AVM60 & McIntosh MX122/123 to replace my Classe SSP 800. From a pure sound quality alone, how would these new processors stack up against my Classe SSP 800 in terms of pure sound quality? I hate to let my SSP 800 go cause it is a superb sounding pre pro for both movies and DVD-Audio music playbacks. just wished it supports 4K HDR. So, do you guys think sonically any of those new processors I listed above would compare to my SSP 800 for movies and DVD-Audio (high resolution audio disc) music playbacks?

Any other options are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-27-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:51 PM

Another very good option would be Bryston SP4. Even SP3.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:25 PM

If you hate to give up your SSP 800 and your only issue is 4K video, why not just get an extra hdmi cable and run it from your player direct to the Sony for video, and just use the SSP 800 for audio?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-26-2020, 08:28 PM

I do that with my MX 151. All 1080p sources go through the MX 151. The OppO feeds the display directly and the MX 151 via analog 7.1. Works great and I have the Harmony programmed to make the video switching transparent.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 08-27-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
If you hate to give up your SSP 800 and your only issue is 4K video, why not just get an extra hdmi cable and run it from your player direct to the Sony for video, and just use the SSP 800 for audio?
For the Pioneer Elite UDP LX-500 4K UHD bluray player that I will be purchasing will not be an issue as this player has dual HDMI outputs. I can run one HDMI out to the SSP 800 for audio only and the other out direct to the 4K TV for 4K video.
Even with my current Oppo 105 bluray player I run the audio only HDMI out of the Oppo 105 to the SSP 800 for audio only and run the other HDMI out (video only HDMI out) of the Oppo 105 direct to my 1080p TV for video only.

However, I will also be getting all those 4K movie streaming devices and these devices only have one HDMI out, so that will be a problem since the SSP 800 does not pass through 4K video.
It wouldn't be an issue if the Pioneer Elite UDP LX-500 4K UHD bluray player was the only AV source component in this home theater setup.

I wish I could still get the Oppo 205 4K UHD bluray player cause the Oppo 205 has 2 HDMI inputs to connect from external AV devices/sources. that way I could run those 4K movie streaming devices / 4K capable cable TV box/decoder to the HDMI inputs on the Oppo 205. then run the audio only HDMI out of the Oppo 205 to the SSP 800 for audio only and run the other HDMI out (video only HDMI output) of the Oppo 205 direct to the 4K display. So I could use the Oppo 205 as HDMI 4K HDR video switching for those external 4K movie streaming devices / 4K capable cable TV box/decoder, etc.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-27-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Another very good option would be Bryston SP4. Even SP3.
Yes, I forgot about the Bryston SP4. Thanks for the tip. The SP3 does not support 4K though. The SP4 does.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
However, I will also be getting all those 4K movie streaming devices and these devices only have one HDMI out, so that will be a problem since the SSP 800 does not pass through 4K video.
Keep in mind that the Sony runs all the usual apps to stream movies: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, HBO, etc. The only thing you’d be missing is Apple TV.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Keep in mind that the Sony runs all the usual apps to stream movies: Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, HBO, etc. The only thing you’d be missing is Apple TV.
Were you referring to the Sony 4K OLED TV or the Sony 1000ES 4K UHD bluray player?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:42 PM

I suggest that you consider the Theta Digital Casablanca iVa preamp/processor. Expensive, bit it will give you everything you are seeking and more.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:19 PM

Why not just add an HD Fury and keep the Classe?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)

Last edited by audiohippo; 08-28-2020 at 03:16 AM.