AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Why do we buy exotic cars

In recent years, I've begun to wonder why folks buy Ferraris, Lambos and the like. I know this sounds like madness and maybe I'm just going through a phase. Let me explain.

I've owned a number of Ferraris and Maseratis over the years. Now my daily drivers are both Porsches: a Cayenne and a 996/2. I live in the UK where, over the last 5 years, we have seen more and more speed cameras. Enjoying the 996 still puts my license at risk on a regular basis. Driving just over the speed limit, I'm still likely to be passed by "white van man" totally ignoring the speed limits. An exotic Lambo will enable me to lose my license in half the time!

I spend some time in Knightsbridge where I see numbers of Ferraris, Bugattis and Lambos, many on plates from Middle Eastern countries. The owners have shipped their cars to London so they can pose by driving slowly and often badly round the affluent areas of London. Maybe this kind of ostentation has soured my view a little.

My "special" drive is my Maybach Zeppelin which I use when I want to enjoy total luxury on drives down to Austria. That does bring real benefit and comfort.

So when would I consider buying an exotic sports car? I suppose if I spent more time in a country with great unrestricted driving roads (where?) or I spent time on track or in road rally events, then if would perhaps choose a Zonda. Otherwise the Maybach will do for the present.

Ok, guys, convince me that I'm wrong.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Nah - not giving into to the obvious temptation here...post deleted.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Your right Custodian; narrow roads, endless peeps, traffic jams, camera's and traffic cops with two horns growing on their foreheads, I've had to boil it down to an exotic push bike. If you move to Greece, there is only one speed camera that doesn't work, and the cops only bother you if your naughty going through town centers.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Because we can.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Well I just was just recently faced with this fortunate predicament. I've wanted a Porsche 911 for over 30 years and finally just got one. I decided on a new 911 50th Anniversary with 7 speed manual. But, it took me quite a while to come to my senses and stick with my original dream car. When I finally got the point in my life where I could afford my dream car, much to my surprise I started suffering the temptation of maybe wanting other "exotic" cars instead. I test drove many different cars such as Ferraris, Aston's, Corvettes, Vipers, Audi R8's etc. (all very nice cars), but in the end, I actually preferred the 911. I realized I was looking at the other cars b/c they were a little more flashy and perhaps head turners, but ultimately realized that really wasn't important to me, that I actually preferred the way the 911 performed over all the others.

Of course I had many friends throwing in their opinion and most favored the exotics, but I realized all of their opinions were based on the "looks" of the car or the exotic reputation each one had. None of which was based on actual driving experience of each car. Again, these are all fine cars and each have their strengths and weakness, but I realized I had to get the one I preferred and for the reasons that were important to me which was the way it drove, handled, sound, felt TO ME. I don't care to drive by slowly so others can see my car and did not get this car for attention. I bought this car to DRIVE IT on open twisty roads in the country. That is very exhilarating.

I guess I'm proud to say that in the end I stayed true to myself and got the car I enjoyed most because it gave ME the most satisfaction in the way that it drives and I did not factor into my decision what other people would like to see.

So I have to ask the question: why do you want an exotic? I think the answer is not always the same for all of us. I think if you are in an area where you can truly enjoy driving the car and want the car because of the way it performs and not what everyone else thinks, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd say you have a pretty good selection of nice cars to drive at the present moment.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
Because we can.
Seems like a poor answer. On that basis, why not buy solid gold bathtubs or alternatively donate $10 million to the poor?
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Well I just was just recently faced with this fortunate predicament. I've wanted a Porsche 911 for over 30 years and finally just got one. I decided on a new 911 50th Anniversary with 7 speed manual. But, it took me quite a while to come to my senses and stick with my original dream car. When I finally got the point in my life where I could afford my dream car, much to my surprise I started suffering the temptation of maybe wanting other "exotic" cars instead. I test drove many different cars such as Ferraris, Aston's, Corvettes, Vipers, Audi R8's etc. (all very nice cars), but in the end, I actually preferred the 911. I realized I was looking at the other cars b/c they were a little more flashy and perhaps head turners, but ultimately realized that really wasn't important to me, that I actually preferred the way the 911 performed over all the others. Of course I had many friends throwing in their opinion and most favored the exotics, but I realized all of their opinions were based on the "looks" of the car or the exotic reputation each one had. None of which was based on actual driving experience of each car. Again, these are all fine cars and each have their strengths and weakness, but I realized I had to get the one I preferred and for the reasons that were important to me which was the way it drove, handled, sound, felt TO ME. I don't care to drive by slowly so others can see my car and did not get this car for attention. I bought this car to DRIVE IT on open twisty roads in the country. That is very exhilarating. I guess I'm proud to say that in the end I stayed true to myself and got the car I enjoyed most because it gave ME the most satisfaction in the way that it drives and I did not factor into my decision what other people would like to see. So I have to ask the question: why do you want an exotic? I think the answer is not always the same for all of us. I think if you are in an area where you can truly enjoy driving the car and want the car because of the way it performs and not what everyone else thinks, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd say you have a pretty good selection of nice cars to drive at the present moment.
I like your thinking. Thinking beyond the perceived wisdom and buying something because you've properly evaluated it against the other options is really good. I must say my 911 is much like that. Relatively inexpensive, adequately quick and still fun to drive. One of the other cars in my garage is the Abarth Tributo 695 which is a lot of fun. It's my wife's shopping car and it really is a hoot to drive on real roads in a semi urban environment.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
Seems like a poor answer. On that basis, why not buy solid gold bathtubs or alternatively donate $10 million to the poor?
I was joking, but along that line, I see most exotic cars in Singapore. I suppose they can be driven fast in Malaysia. I don't see many places to enjoy them in Singapore, and the last time I was there, someone in a Ferrari drove into taxi doing over 100mph and killed the passengers. They were very strict about speeding afterwards.

Exotic cars to me are like exotic audio, we love them for their performance and aesthetic appeal. Nothing wrong with that.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
Depends on whether or not you want cars, gold bathroom accessories or are a budding philanthropist, IMHO. We all invest in our respective passions to the extent we want to or even beyond what others would consider "reasonable". You now as well as I do that some of the things others collect are considered questionable by others. That just demonstrates the diversity of our world and our perspectives.

We all have our passions. I've owned a couple of cars that today would be considered classic exotics (and now I wish I hadn't sold them) and I did so because I liked them, not because I wanted to pose with them. For me, having an exotic, or almost any other vehicle I've owned in the past, was all about driving them, using them as intended and enjoying the entire experience, even if they did take a LOT of maintenance and tweaking to keep running at their best.

Even now...do I need the 411 RWHP my SRT provides? Well, on one level, no. On the level that matters most to me, though, it's an unqualified YES!

So back to the custodian's observation and question. I would offer that for some, the newest/baddest/most visible/latest and greatest of anything is procured to show off...plain and simple as that. It's a "Look At Me!" gesture that imparts some form of self gratification, self justification or a self validation. However, this is not without merit.

Heck, without those who do so, we wouldn't see some very cool and exotic products that attract those with the means and desire to procure them. In some ways, even the function or cool factor appeals to them beyond whatever other personal rationalizations were used to justify the acquisition.

I say go for it. I'm not one to feel jealous or deprived when I see the possessions of others for I enjoy the exposure to them and would not be able to enjoy them without those who pose.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:12 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Default Why do we buy exotic cars ???

'

I do agree that our cars show something about our character - and tell a great deal about who we are -
and that is why I have, for so long, dreamed about, and have finally secured my very own . . . . .

FUEL INJECTED YUGO GV PLUS

The sheer pleasure of riding down Worth Avenue or Rodeo Drive in this true classic example of the automakers art
makes the heart beat faster from the pride of ownership.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 08-16-2014 at 03:19 PM.