AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Has anyone given a super tweeter a try? This product is currently reviewed in Hi-Fi News (May 2012) which prompted a closer look & has also been in Stereophile.

I've heard about super tweeters to compliment your existing loudspeakers for some time now. Many of the more recent higher end loudspeakers now go well beyond 20Khz. Just take a look at Marten's diamond tweeter as an example.

Ok, I'm no insect & my dog also reckons he's human...but I think my hearing is pretty good for my age. So can we hear above 20KHz? Apparently we can pick up some of the higher frequencies with our eyes. Of course, the hypersonic frequencies also impact frequencies in the audible range. There are also the vibrational tactile responses experienced by our other senses.

Here's an interesting link where you can download & play a high frequency audio response test:

High Frequency Range (High Pitch Hearing) Sound Test, online

Townshend's Commentary

The Townshend Audio MAXIMUM Ribbon Supertweeter is designed to extend the response of conventional Hi-Fi loudspeakers to 100kHz. Just as the subwoofer fills in the bottom end, the Maximum Supertweeter fills in the top end. It makes the music much more real.

All Instruments - even double basses - take on an extra clarity that is neither bright nor brash. In fact the sound is both clearer and smoother. The really surprising thing is that when the tweeters are played alone, one can barely, if at all, hear a thing. Remarkably, however, all listeners – even, those having no sine wave sensitivity above 10kHz - experience the same enhancement when the Supertweeters are engaged, describing the sound of their hi-fi systems as ‘more natural’ and comfortable to listen to.
Embodying super-powerful neodymium magnets and an ultra thin eight micron pure aluminium ribbon, the Maximum Supertweeter offers outstanding performance in an easy to drive, compact package. The low frequency -3dB point of the first order crossover is set at 20Khz. Output may be set to suit speakers with sensitivities ranging from 80dB to 110dB, adjusted in steps by an eight position switch on the rear. The correct setting is easily found by trial and error. Input connectors are 4mm banana sockets. All copper conductors, including the matching transformer windings and the aluminium ribbon, are deep cryogenically treated (EDCT) for unrivalled fidelity.
Pressure relief vents in the sides of the case are provided to allow the air pressure on the ribbon to equalize in the event of sudden pressure changes. The Maximum Supertweeter may be connected directly across the output of amplifiers up to 350W. An automatically resetting fuse prevents ribbon damage in the event of overload. The supertweeters are best placed centrally on top of existing speakers. The (supplied) 1.5m EDCT enamelled copper wire insulated Litz cables are connected to the main speakers’ tweeter terminals or directly across the power amplifier. Spade or “piggy back” banana connectors are provided to facilitate connection.

Supersize the music

Maximum Supertweeters heighten the sense of music, by extending the frequency response of conventional Hi-Fi speakers to 90kHz allowing you to enjoy the maximum pleasure from vinyl, SACD, DVD-Audio, BD, High-Resolution digital audio and all surround formats by utilising the 30kHz plus frequency response previously only available from high-quality vinyl reproduction.

CD and mp3 are also improved, because of the coherent performance of the Maximum Supertweeters below 20 kHz.

Frequency Response: 20Khz to 70kHz. -3dB 12kHz to 90kHz. -6dB.
Sensitivity: Adjustable to suit speakers with sensitivity from 80dB to 110dB.
Impedance: 6R, 20Khz. 30R, 100kHz.
Power Rating: 350W+. Music (Heavy Rock).
Dimensions: 50mm (W), 30mm (H), 100mm (D).
Case: Stainless Steel Mirror or Titanium.

RRP around $1,500

Last edited by MyPal; 06-25-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 PM

According to my highly scientific experiment, I can't hear above maybe 16K

I once had two gents over (Terry DeWick of McIntosh Tech fame) and someone else. They brought some test equipment over to not only give a good listen to my speakers but, to do some analyzing of them.

As the sound did it's thing, the mic did it's thing and the graph on the analyzer did its thing.

Although the sound was essentially ruler flat, once it got to around 16K, the room was essentially dead quiet to me. (I don't know about them)

So, I admit this wasn't a professional hearing test and there were probably 45,000 ways for something to be screwed up however, overall, I think it was more eye-opening for me than anything.

Bottom line, why would I (speaking personally) want to buy anything that would sit there and play over a limit that I can't hear?

Rather than any kind of super tweeter, what I DID do was replace my HF driver with a TAD driver since the TAD drivers are pretty nice.

Now, I get to enjoy better quality of sound from the crossover point to the point where my ears poop out.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Steve

I have both diamond membrane tweeters and 4-5 um ribbon tweeters. I have measured the output of both to well over 50 kHz with Bruel and Kjaer research grade microphones. I drive the tweeters with research grade power amplifiers (100 kHz bandwidth) and can produce well over 120 dB (if required) at 20 kHz. For the last 15 years I have done an "experiment" twice a year in which about 100 students in their teens listen to the tweeters as I randomly change amplitudes and frequencies in the 10 kHz to 30 kHz range. Of course the highest frequency you can clearly hear is amplitude dependent and I avoid high sound pressure levels for obvious safety reasons. Out of the 3,000 students almost everyone of them could hear 15 kHz. Many can detect 18 kHz and usually 1 or 2 out of 100 can just hear 20 kHz. Out of the 3000 students no one has ever detected 21 kHz or above. These results are not scientifically valid as the "measurements" were done in a class room setting and not in a controlled acoustic environment.

As far as I know human skin is maximally sensitive to vibrations around 200 Hz and I do not know of any evidence that you can detect skin vibration above 1.5 kHz.

As far as I know the highest frequency light flicker a human can detect is less than 150 Hz.
5.2 Theater Room McIntosh MC601's driving front Magnepan 20.7's, McIntosh MC452 driving rear Magnepan 3.7's, McIntosh MC601 driving center Magnepan CCR, 2 Paradigm Sub1 subwoofers, McIntosh MX151 processor, Panasonic PT-AE7000 projector, 2 Brüel & Kjær 4810 shakers, 2 Brüel & Kjær microphones, 2 Brüel & Kjær accelerometers, Puget Serenity very low noise computer, Agilent 34420A nanoVolt/microOhm meter, Agilent E4980A Impedance Analyzer, NI PCI-4461 Sound & Vibration analysis system, Michelson laser interferometer, MICA measurement cubes.

Last edited by Ian; 06-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Steve

I have both diamond membrane tweeters and 4-5 um ribbon tweeters. I have measured the output of both to well over 50 kHz with Bruel and Kjaer research grade microphones. I drive the tweeters with research grade power amplifiers (100 kHz bandwidth) and can produce well over 120 dB (if required) at 20 kHz. For the last 15 years I have done an "experiment" twice a year in which about 100 students in their teens listen to the tweeters as I randomly change amplitudes and frequencies in the 10 kHz to 30 kHz range. Of course the highest frequency you can clearly hear is amplitude dependent and I avoid high sound pressure levels for obvious safety reasons. Out of the 3,000 students almost everyone of them could hear 15 kHz. Many can detect 18 kHz and usually 1 or 2 out of 100 can just hear 20 kHz. Out of the 3000 students no one has ever detected 21 kHz or above. These results are not scientifically valid as the "measurements" were done in a class room setting and not in a controlled acoustic environment.

As far as I know human skin is maximally sensitive to vibrations around 200 Hz and I do not know of any evidence that you can detect skin vibration above 1 kHz.

As far as I know the highest frequency light flicker a human can detect is less that 150 Hz.
Ian...That's awesome for you to have taken it to this level. What would you say to the knock on effect that high frequencies possibly have on the rest of the audible spectrum?

A lot of hi-end electronics can perform above their published bandwidth ratings & with loudspeakers to match, the question is do the inaudible frequencies make such a difference? Many are now saying yes, but is it only an equipment placebo that is giving them the perceived audible benefit?

Then we have the current hi-resolution lossless recording transfers that sit above the redbook standard.... Sure, the sampling rate improves what we hear but what about the inaudible spectrum that the magazines are graphing as the selling point? Good vinyl can do it too...

My dog loves listening to music with me even at high volumes. His ears often prick in different directions. He is sometimes fooled by the source of the sound too. No doubt, he is picking up some of the higher frequencies say 17kHz & above that I could never hear. On occasion, if the volume gets too much for him, he simply lies on his back & covers his ears with the edge of the couch.

Last edited by MyPal; 06-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM

Steve

There is fairly convincing experimental evidence that high frequency sounds (>20 kHz) alone are not perceived directly as sounds by humans. However there is also complelling evidence that traditionally audible sounds/music (<20 kHz) accompanied by high frequency sound does change brain activity (as measured by a variety of techniques) and that people report changes in the character of the sound. I do not know of any good explanation of the phenomena so far but it does have implications for the bandwidth of our audio systems (including the high frequency content of our digital recordings). One of the reasons I love ribbon tweeters (eg Magnepans) is that they can readily reproduce sounds up to 40 or 50 kHz and with special construction approaches they can exceed 200 kHz.

Best, Ian
5.2 Theater Room McIntosh MC601's driving front Magnepan 20.7's, McIntosh MC452 driving rear Magnepan 3.7's, McIntosh MC601 driving center Magnepan CCR, 2 Paradigm Sub1 subwoofers, McIntosh MX151 processor, Panasonic PT-AE7000 projector, 2 Brüel & Kjær 4810 shakers, 2 Brüel & Kjær microphones, 2 Brüel & Kjær accelerometers, Puget Serenity very low noise computer, Agilent 34420A nanoVolt/microOhm meter, Agilent E4980A Impedance Analyzer, NI PCI-4461 Sound & Vibration analysis system, Michelson laser interferometer, MICA measurement cubes.

Last edited by Ian; 06-27-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM

I used various ribbon tweeters with Quad ESLs ('57') and a subwoofer, sort of a mini-HQD system back in the 80's. Since that was almost 30 years ago, my high frequency hearing was undoubtedly better. They added something to the overall sound of the system- in the case of the Quad- which is quite beamy- they gave the system more apparent air on the top end. At that time, I used Deccas (which I still have, but one got fried along time ago) and Sequerras (which I sold quite a while ago). It was fun experimenting with them.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:10 PM

Yes, I have these supertweeters in use on my Aerial Acoustic 7Ts. They are easy to miss when taken out - the upper registers just sound dead and flat. I won't listen without them or the excellent Enigma Acoustics Soparino.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:14 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Jaymark… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-17-2023, 06:31 PM
Retired

Is this a new record? 11yr & 5mon between posts?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-17-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Is this a new record? 11yr & 5mon between posts?

[emoji23]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2