AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-31-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
So, why can't the McIntosh MC901 be used with Wilson speakers? Anyone have an answer to that question.
The MC901 does not make sense on ANY speaker that is not at least bi-wireable. Pretty sure the MC901 philosophy is such that McIntosh had their own speakers in mind to be paired with first and foremost. Wilson is not the only speaker manufacturer that does not put emphasis into bi-wiring.

McIntosh speakers like the XRT.1 and 2.1K are actually tri-wireable so another pair of amps on top of the MC901 can also be involved...

The best and most effective way to do it is with outboard crossovers like Bryston and a few others are doing.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:21 PM

Never owned a Wilson speaker. Didn't realize they're not bi-wire/amp capable.

Hmm...

Scratch Wilson from the list.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Hmm...

Since the gain of amplifiers is typically very different between the various topologies, brands and even models, the MC901 is actually one of the first to make it logical to bi-amp with its adjustable circuitry to bring the gain and output levels within levels that complement each other instead of making a "mumbo-jumbo-gumbo-sonic-mess soup" with different gains.

Of course having all the crossover circuitry in the signal path in the amps and then once again in the speakers is perhaps not the purest or the most efficient way of getting things done.

My personal preference is a high quality stereo or mono blocks feeding one set of binding posts with a high quality crossover inside the speaker doing what it is designed to do. Or give me the active external crossover approach instead but choices for that are very, very limited...
Old 12-31-2020, 04:23 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:

Hmm...

That's perfectly ok. You pay your money and you make your choice.

To clarify, Wilson speakers are not and never will be bi-wireable. Every aspect of the designs are aimed toward extremely precise and adjustable time alignment based on listening distance and ear height. While adding passive bi-amp/bi-wiring might yield a pleasant tonal balance, it can/will destroy what David Wilson spent his entire career developing - the ability to precisely control signal time arrival at the listener down to the low microsecond range. For us, that loss is far, far, far greater than anything that might be gained by a passive bi-amp.

In fact, with the Chronosonic XVX (subject of the thread) Wilson measures group delay and calculates offsets for individual amplifiers. This allows an even more precise time alignment for an individual system.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:57 AM

I have a friend who has the full XVX system with significantly superior ancillary gear. I'm competitive but that's all. But I love my system. It's me. When I bought my XVX one of my main concerns was my station in life. I was comfortable with my Alexx and its a great speaker. Almost anyone would be extremely happy with it. Was I trying to attain too much? Was I headed for disaster? Would it fit into the room? I'm used to expensive gear but the XVX was on another price level, even though it was relatively inexpensive as mega speakers go. The XVX is truly a mega speaker. I felt nothing but severe stress. Ivan didn't help with his comment about audiophiles and tape measures. And then the way the deal went down. At the self checkout buying groceries at Walmart on a cell phone. When I got home I thought: Man, what have I done? Did that really happen? When they removed the Alexxes and sold them there was no going back.

A year later all that stress and nights laying awake have been turned into pure joy by the XVX. In this life I will always have the memory of laying it on the line and winning. I had one surgery and now the next is on Jan 6th. I did 7 miles on the treadmill (usually do 11) today and a full gym. Ate some really good food. Feeling much better.

A full big Wilson system includes two Subsonics and two mono's and at least a stereo amp for the subs. I'd go with two Momentums for the mains and two Progressions for the subs as the classic arrangement. That's four huge amps.

There's just no room for bi or tri amping. Not to mention Bill's explanation.

I have been listening to The Bach Gamut performed by Virgil Fox. Through my XVX/Thor the performance is stunning. It's what you pay the big bucks for. It's a live performance. The 5,500 folks attending it were so enthralled that they began their applause before several of the pieces were over and had to mute their applause. My friend has it on 176/24 bit 2-track download from original master tape. I have it on the RR CD. I obtained the CD for 38 dollars new. I wouldn't take 1,000.00 for it unless I could obtain another one. Some things are priceless.

You can expound all you want about the advantages of multiple amps for each driver/active crossovers, a new power conditioner, cable, power cord, vibration control device, etc. But I will tell you, it's the speaker for me and it always will be. I enjoy hearing and feeling the bass. Cymbals on the XVX must be heard to be believed. The decay lingers like no other speaker I've heard. Cymbals just hang in space.

Best

Charles

Most recent updates: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals
Amps: McIntosh 1.25KW’s (3) set on floor on custom made cultured marble slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house.

Last edited by Charles; 01-01-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:36 PM

The XVX are wonderful, powerful and imposing speakers. I had the pleasure of listening
them last year in Berkeley before the lock-down and boy oh boy, I still salivate the
experience. They were powered by full dCS stack and Soulution pre and monoblocks.

Since there is no chance of bi-amping, how would an Audio Research Ref 750SE
with all of its 750 mighty watts fare with these speakers? The impedance could be
an issue, but still that would be a interesting combination.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
The XVX are wonderful, powerful and imposing speakers. I had the pleasure of listening
them last year in Berkeley before the lock-down and boy oh boy, I still salivate the
experience. They were powered by full dCS stack and Soulution pre and monoblocks.

Since there is no chance of bi-amping, how would an Audio Research Ref 750SE
with all of its 750 mighty watts fare with these speakers? The impedance could be
an issue, but still that would be a interesting combination.
pixolaxo, Excellent question. Short answer, I believe the XVX can be driven to complete satisfaction by a Reference 160 M. It would be all the amp you would ever need, including movies and movie sound tracks. I have never exceeded 120 watts even on Aquaman where the Thor (mono) needs 500-700 watts.

Having said that I think Wilson subs are made for large SS mono amps like a Progression. So if you ever wanted to add a sub(s) it would need to be of a different brand.

Best

Charles
Old 01-20-2021, 06:15 PM

I’ve been searching for a humorous photo I saw many years ago, but have not yet found it. It is of a man wearing a headset, but instead of muffs to cover the ears, there are cups behind each ear with the open end pointing forward. The intent was/is to collect sound as it passes by your head and focus it into your ears. I don’t recall if it was a spoof or not.

In that vein, I sometimes sit in front of my Sahsa DAWs in the sweet spot, and wear my favorite cowboy hat, bought on Safari in South Africa, rakishly tilted back on my head at around 45 degrees. The wide brim catches sound as it passes my head and focuses it into my ears. I can honestly tell a difference...

I also will cup my hands behind my ears to the same effect. But the hat looks less goofy, so I go that route more often than not...
Old 01-20-2021, 06:42 PM

Aircraft detection WW2. (Before Radar)

Cable Sound Analyzer today.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM

Awesome, exactly what I was describing. Thanks a ton for finding this...