Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
Some pics:

45 SET as delivered

45 SET current state

Room current state (and far from complete, 703 will be covered with fabric, vertical slat diffusers along side walls between columns, media storage built into back wall stagged as diffuser)

Little man taking in some music (shelving across back is Ikea to hold be over till custom shelving built in. Hard to tell in pic, but they are staggered in depth from center to each side wall to act as diffusers).

Nice rig. What speakers RU driving? The amp I have was built on that chassis, same color, transformers and UX4 rectifier socket.

I tried the mesh 45 in the Korneff 45 I had 12 or so years ago but they failed prematurely, likely a production issue, and had to be returned and exchanged for the solid plate. I actually preferred the solids. YMMV

Were you using your IC's and speaker cables with a higher power amp?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Dennis seems to have cut a deal with Moon Audio for them to market his products. They are selling both his 6V6 monoblocks and his tube headphone amp. A bit different but not a lot.
Dennis really isn't interested in expanding his business. After Dentron, Ameritron, CARY, etc., this was supposed to be his retirement. But sitting around isn't his style, and he likes a new set of wheels every 6-12 months and his NC State football/Basketball tix. He talked about expanding into the adjacent space when it was available awhile back, and it didn't happen. We almost went into the speaker business together, but my partner and I both hold full time jobs outside of the audio realm, so Dennis pulled the plug on that idea until there was essentially a FTE to support it. Maybe when I go to half time or less in 5 years....

Moon Audio is the only company that sells his headphone amps, and in general, he takes care of everything else except for an occasional stray piece now and again. Keep working on him to make a run of the phono preamp. The biggest problem is he sells the amp and pre amps about as fast as he can make then, so why would he want to add another product?
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Dennis really isn't interested in expanding his business. After Dentron, Ameritron, CARY, etc., this was supposed to be his retirement. But sitting around isn't his style, and he likes a new set of wheels every 6-12 months and his NC State football/Basketball tix. He talked about expanding into the adjacent space when it was available awhile back, and it didn't happen. We almost went into the speaker business together, but my partner and I both hold full time jobs outside of the audio realm, so Dennis pulled the plug on that idea until there was essentially a FTE to support it. Maybe when I go to half time or less in 5 years....

Moon Audio is the only company that sells his headphone amps, and in general, he takes care of everything else except for an occasional stray piece now and again. Keep working on him to make a run of the phono preamp. The biggest problem is he sells the amp and pre amps about as fast as he can make then, so why would he want to add another product?
Aside from the money, which is always nice, Dennis seems to enjoy the challenge of discovering something new about tube audio, with a willing group of people to underwrite it. It would appear that he has found a line stage recipe that works to his satisfaction (and mine!) and has focused on improving amplifier performance, both by increasing output power (the 20W SE and PSE amplifiers) and by improving the power supply (the Hot Rod). I think a limited run of phono stages will offer another challenge he may enjoy. It would also allow those of us who already enjoy the line stage/amplifier chain to complete the synergy of the Inspire line, much like the Shindo philosophy. A phono stage voiced with the rest of his chain would be perfect.

I would propose that the phono stages be offered the way he originally offered his line stage: if you already own an amp, you were permitted to get in line for a phono stage. I would (selfishly) propose he make a limited run of phono stages available to those who have purchased an amp (or amps) AND a line stage.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:16 AM

Heh, if you really want to hear what the Inspire line of audio gear was intended to sound like, you need to hear it through a set of Inspire speakers....
Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 AM

Analog,
Two quick tube related question:
When guys ran the Hot Rod amp through its passes you settled on a set of vintage TS 6550's as your favorites. Did you try the reissue GL KT88? Many have said they are awfully close. At the same time, Brent Jessee has lightly used set of 3 hole getter TS 6550's for a reasonable price, little more than a new quad of GL KT88s. I suspect in the PSE they would have a very long life given how gently it is working the output tubes.

Second, any thoughts on the Sylvania 6SN7GT ("bad boy") you liked in the Hot Rod compared to the metal base 6SN7W you preferred in the PSE? Is it splitting hairs?

Thanks, starting to load up on tubes for the eventual PSE purchase.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Nice rig. What speakers RU driving? The amp I have was built on that chassis, same color, transformers and UX4 rectifier socket.

I tried the mesh 45 in the Korneff 45 I had 12 or so years ago but they failed prematurely, likely a production issue, and had to be returned and exchanged for the solid plate. I actually preferred the solids. YMMV

Were you using your IC's and speaker cables with a higher power amp?
Speakers are Horning Aristoteles, previous generation. Look at post before pics, describes their construction, back loaded, heavily modified Lowther.

Aristoteles | Horning Hybrid

Cables are Purist Audio Design, and yes the IC are thick. He uses a ferrous based slurry in the outside jacket as an RFI/EMI shield and vibration dampener. The IC's are the previous generation Dominus that fell into my lap from my dealer. Had a customer move into a new home who needed 4M IC instead of 5M he had and went ahead a bought a new set of 4M IC. Dealer took the old set back and sold them to me knowing I needed a long run from the preamp to amp (sometimes it good to be on the bottom of a dealers food chain, speakers where lightly used trade ins also). Speaker cable are Venustas current gen. Despite there thick appearance, they play very nicely with low powered tube amps.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Heh, if you really want to hear what the Inspire line of audio gear was intended to sound like, you need to hear it through a set of Inspire speakers....
Unfortunately, I can't accommodate open baffle speakers.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
Analog,
Two quick tube related question:
When guys ran the Hot Rod amp through its passes you settled on a set of vintage TS 6550's as your favorites. Did you try the reissue GL KT88? Many have said they are awfully close. At the same time, Brent Jessee has lightly used set of 3 hole getter TS 6550's for a reasonable price, little more than a new quad of GL KT88s. I suspect in the PSE they would have a very long life given how gently it is working the output tubes.

Second, any thoughts on the Sylvania 6SN7GT ("bad boy") you liked in the Hot Rod compared to the metal base 6SN7W you preferred in the PSE? Is it splitting hairs?

Thanks, starting to load up on tubes for the eventual PSE purchase.
In all candor, the tubes you prefer in your rig, may not be the same as anyone else. FWIW, the new production power tubes are generally better than most old production. The PSE is a different animal in that you can mix power tubes. Someone here really likes Pope 6V6 with, I think, a 6L6 in his PSE.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
FWIW, the new production power tubes are generally better than most old production.
That certainly seems to be the sentiment I have heard over and over again. However when I nosed around I was surprised to find the slightly used TS 6550's at price similar to the new GL KT88's I don't think would consider putting them in a amp thats going to run them hard, but the PSE reportedly is much gentler on driving the outputs tubes. Tempting to try given that they are supposed to be the "chosen one" of the 6550's. Already picked up a quad of 6v6G's to try.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:45 PM

I have the same 6V6G's. Not my fave 6V6 in my amp but that's me. However, I don't have a PSE. Combined with another power tube that may be great. It's an experiment.

If you get the TS 6550's let us know how they work for you.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 09-15-2016 at 07:02 AM.