AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Default New Bryston owner

So, yet another day and yet another idea how to power my theater... Isn't it great to have choices?

I spent a bit of time evaluating the Bryston amps today at my dealer.

There was a beefy 14B SST2 and a 7B powering the Sonus Faber Elipsa and Cremona M center in his theater with another 14B I believe powering the Auditor Elipsa surrounds.

As I sat there and listened, I came to the realization that I will be perfectly happy with that combination. I really liked what I heard, very good synergy between the warmish SF Elipsa and the Bryston brutes driving them. Gone was the sterility, leanness and grainish voicing of the older Bryston amps, replaced by very tightly focused, dynamic sound that was neither sterile nor cold but just right in terms of tonal balance, plenty of dynamic slam and excitement without grain or harshness. The Bryston amps had all the grip on the Elipsa speakers they would need, they ran barely warm to the touch and both vocals and instruments sounded just about perfect for my taste.

Considering the other options I had in mind, there was some concerns with the amount of heat Krell amps put out, the sweeter but slightly lacking in power Ayre MX-Rs, less bottom end grip and slam from 501s and I wasn't really going to use Lamm in my theater. That's not to mention the reasonable pricing of Bryston products. For about the price of a pair of MX-Rs, I was able to outfit the 6 of the channels of my theater with very impressive power.

As my eyes kept looking down at the 14B and 7B sitting on floor, their elegant design really started to appeal to me, from their silver faceplates with beefy handles to the black chassis flanked by heatsinks. They just looked "right" for the job.

Thinking about the 20 year warranty and their bulletproof appearance and reputation of being reliable and robust, it didn't take me long to realize this is a very sweet setup. I also thought about the Elipsa and matching Elipsa surrounds as well as the matching center and thought to my self, what more can you ask for and why should I spend more for a theater? I've always liked the Elipsa, their elegant appearance and very musical and forgiving nature and the Bryston amps compliment them in a big way. So be it!

Having thought over the arsenal of amps, I went with the 600w 14B, 600w 7B and 300w 4B x2. I think it will be perfect.

MX-Rs
Old 07-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Congrats Serge!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
So, yet another day and yet another idea how to power my theater... Isn't it great to have choices?

I spent a bit of time evaluating the Bryston amps today at my dealer.

There was a beefy 14B SST2 and a 7B powering the Sonus Faber Elipsa and Cremona M center in his theater with another 14B I believe powering the Auditor Elipsa surrounds.

As I sat there and listened, I came to the realization that I will be perfectly happy with that combination. I really liked what I heard, very good synergy between the warmish SF Elipsa and the Bryston brutes driving them. Gone was the sterility, leanness and grainish voicing of the older Bryston amps, replaced by very tightly focused, dynamic sound that was neither sterile nor cold but just right in terms of tonal balance, plenty of dynamic slam and excitement without grain or harshness. The Bryston amps had all the grip on the Elipsa speakers they would need, they ran barely warm to the touch and both vocals and instruments sounded just about perfect for my taste.

Considering the other options I had in mind, there was some concerns with the amount of heat Krell amps put out, the sweeter but slightly lacking in power Ayre MX-Rs, less bottom end grip and slam from 501s and I wasn't really going to use Lamm in my theater. That's not to mention the reasonable pricing of Bryston products. For about the price of a pair of MX-Rs, I was able to outfit the 6 of the channels of my theater with very impressive power.

As my eyes kept looking down at the 14B and 7B sitting on floor, their elegant design really started to appeal to me, from their silver faceplates with beefy handles to the black chassis flanked by heatsinks. They just looked "right" for the job.

Thinking about the 20 year warranty and their bulletproof appearance and reputation of being reliable and robust, it didn't take me long to realize this is a very sweet setup. I also thought about the Elipsa and matching Elipsa surrounds as well as the matching center and thought to my self, what more can you ask for and why should I spend more for a theater? I've always liked the Elipsa, their elegant appearance and very musical and forgiving nature and the Bryston amps compliment them in a big way. So be it!

Having thought over the arsenal of amps, I went with the 600w 14B, 600w 7B and 300w 4B x2. I think it will be perfect.

MX-Rs

Very nice combo indeed! congratz and welcome as a new Bryston owner
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Congratulations! One more step closer to completion!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Serge...congrats. But I am confused :confused-28:. Are you saying you are going to pair up the new Bryston gear with Sonus Faber Elipsas and surrounds? I am confused because I thought you said you ordered Wilson Sophia 3s for the HT. Anyway, I am sure I misunderstood something but congrats on the Bryston gear.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Serge...congrats. But I am confused :confused-28:. Are you saying you are going to pair up the new Bryston gear with Sonus Faber Elipsas and surrounds? I am confused because I thought you said you ordered Wilson Sophia 3s for the HT. Anyway, I am sure I misunderstood something but congrats on the Bryston gear.
I can see how it can get confusing. I am confused myself....

Actually, the SF/Bryston will be the theater setup and Wilson Sophia 3 for 2 channel room with yet to be determined supporting gear.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Congratulations! One more step closer to completion!
Yes, it's all finally starting to fall into place.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM

David is going to be ecstatic...

Graphite or Maple?

Congrats Serge, your restraint here will leave you more room to do what you want in the 2 Channel room!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I can see how it can get confusing. I am confused myself....

Actually, the SF/Bryston will be the theater setup and Wilson Sophia 3 for 2 channel room with yet to be determined supporting gear.
Got it . Congrats Serge
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
David is going to be ecstatic...

Graphite or Maple?

Congrats Serge, your restraint here will leave you more room to do what you want in the 2 Channel room!
Maple. It will look better in my mostly brown color theater.