AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Default C220 balanced vs unbalanced

Anyone done a comparison ? Since the C220 is not a balanced pre amp any disadvantage/advantage to running balanced ?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM

I'm running balanced cables from both the C220 to my MC500 & from my MDA700 into the C220. I've tried it unbalanced and balanced and prefer the balanced for a number of reasons...
I like the more solid connection you get with XLR, you know it's locked in place whe you hear that click.
You get a couple dB increase in the signal to noise ratio, and last but not least is that they provide a "blacker backgound" for me.
Opinions vary, there's been lots of past threads, and this certainly won't be the last
My advice is to compare them yourself & let your ears be the judge..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Anyone done a comparison ? Since the C220 is not a balanced pre amp any disadvantage/advantage to running balanced ?
As always, it's a matter of preferences. I haven't done any really serious and scientific comparisons, so you won't get a definite answer from me. However, I have generally found the non-balanced to be a bit warmer than balanced.

They say that the noise rejection advantages of balanced cable don't matter much for short runs, but there's enough electromagnetic activity in my rack, that I ended up with balanced interconnects from the MDA to the C220 and from the C220 to the 501s.

Alberto
Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Merry Christmas to all

I use balanced cables. They cancel noise between the + and - wires, they are shieded which makes them immune to induced EMI and RFI from adjacent audio and power cables, and the connections are superior to unbalanced RCA's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Last edited by ruffoc; 06-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 AM

I use balanced from my MC402 into the C39 and non balanced from my sources into the C39. The C39 does not have balanced inputs. As far as which sound better I would say listen for yourself and trust your ears.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Using a good quality balanced cable(XLR) with your C220 will fundamentally improve the sound: wider soundstage,more details revealed, better dynamics,ect..
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Default it's more about the amp

Balanced preamp circuitry is not mandatory for a preamp to be able to provide balanced outputs. And if provided, it's good to use them, especially if running long-ish interconnects to the amp, and for best signal to noise ratio as already pointed out; but there is another very important advantage no one mentioned so far:

Typical (push-pull) amplifier circuits need a balanced input signal in order provide gain. If you input a single-ended (unbalanced) signal, the amp first has to convert it to a balanced signal before amplifying it. This requires a splitter/inverter circuit at the amp's input -- a potential source of additional noise, channel imbalance, and distortion (especially in tube amps.) However, all that is easily avoided by driving the amp with a balanced input signal in the first place.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 PM

I could swear in the past most seemed to prefer un balanced! I have preferred balanced connections from my mcd201 to c2300 to mc402 since I first tried them. Not a large difference in my system, Just seems like a blacker black, plus the connections are more secure IMO.

Robert
Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

I use balanced cables where ever possible.
For all the same reasons mentioned already.