AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 AM
It's All About The Music

Default Go For Speakers

Speakers and your room make the biggest difference. You have a huge choice of great speakers. I'm heavily biased toward Joseph Audio myself - getting ready to move up to a pair of RM33si.
You could go all the way to the RM50XL for the same price as the Wilson Sophia 2. There may be something in the Sonus Faber or McIntosh product lines that catches your ear as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenZoo View Post
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first piece of Mcintosh gear and my MDA1000 is on it's way! And before it's even hear, I'm already thinking about the next logical upgrade.

I've always loved the sound, look and feel of tubed equipment... and was considering tubed amps for a while but decided against it as it would have to be integrated into a home theater. I'll probably wind up getting a tubed pre-amp down the road for the warmth combined with solid state MCamps.

Which I guess leads me to the question at hand as to the next logical step in the upgrade process to more (or all) Mcintosh gear, excluding speakers.

So, in looking at my system: Rotel RSP-1098, Rotel RMB-1095, B&W 703’s, 705’s, HTM7, (2) ASW-700 Subs, RGPC-1200, Synergistic Research Cables, Custom HTPC..., would amps or speakers be the next step up? For the sake of argument, let's say between $6K - $8K and will purchase the MC501's or new/used speakers and am looking at Wilson Audio - Sophia / Watt Puppy or Focal Jmlab Electra 1037Be or something similar.

Any and all comments welcome as I'm trying to absorb as much good info as possible. By the way, all my Rotel & B&W equipment is up for sale or trade for some new Mcintosh stuff!
Just a suggestion. You may want to consider to PM Ivan "Masterlu". He had a MC602, very fine amp, I had one. I'm not sure that you get the bass response from a MC501 that you do from a MC602. I've had both. If your looking into B&W upgrade I would look no lower than 802D' better yet 800D'S. But don't be mislead by all the reviews claiming them being a true full range speaker. The are very a very reveling speaker but need a sub to finish out the bottom end. As you probably know, they are mid-range strong speakers. But my experience with adding at least a JL f113 (no smaller than a 13" speaker for a sub) and using an Audio Control RTA you can balance the overemphasis in the midrange. Don't believe that, try RTA'ing the speakers with out a sub. I am using C2200 & a pair of MC1201's on 802D's. The Diamond tweeters are excellent. Also may want to check out Revel Salons as well. The amount of $ we are spending on audio gear, $1,500 for a RTA is money well spent. Even if you use the Rives test CD, use the SPL on the RTA set to "slow" and then compare with a quality PINK NOISE CD. It will get you so close, so fast. JMO... Wonder what your salesman would say if you showed up, while shopping for speakers, with not only your favorite CD's but also a RTA to test true frequency response.
Also not sure if I would go with a tubed pre-amp, solid-state may be a little cleaner signal. I'm not sure that tubes pre-amps are not more of an emotional decision, kinda like the guys holding on the the idea that the analog turntables are more reveling than your better digital formats. Science has proven a wider range of audio response in hi-res CD/SACD but for some its seems to be more of an emotional decision. Let it go, technology has progressed. Especially with exponentially quality possibilities of 20 & 24 bit recordings. Imaging if we ever get to the point that recordings/mixes truly use the full capacity of a 24 bit CD. If you have ever listened to a original master tape digital tape, you know what we are missing. Question is why? Unfortunately most 16 bit recording don't truly maximized there potential. If they did they would blow us away! Spoken from a grad student from Berkley School of Music, Recording Engineer with state-of-the-art recording studio located in Nashville. Pro Tools has changed everything in the recording industry.

I realize this analog vs. digital are fighting words i some circles, but just my opinion...

Sorry if I got a little off track!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Thank you for all the great information thus far. It looks as though the majority here (and a couple of dealers I have spoken to) recommend getting the right pair of main speakers first. Although I'm pretty set on the MC501's, my money may be better served first in speakers.

Now I have to to some more serious listening to do over the next few weeks or months in dealerships around FL. I think I should start a new a new thread on...

***"The Best Florida Dealer to Audition AV Equipment!"***

I'm not looking for installers... just the ones you can sit down and actually audition their systems.
Any recommendations to start the list?

Here's some I have been to over the years:
Sensuous Sounds - Tampa
Audio Visions South - Tampa
Sounds Terrific - St. Petersburg
Audio Advisors - West Palm Beach
Bill's TV & Service Center - Vero Beach
House of High Fidelity - Naples
"The Room" - in an underground bunker somewhere in south Florida

Of course I still welcome more comments on the MC501 vs. New Speakers decision! Thanks again to all who have offered their suggestions and advice. It is very helpful!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Speakers. Always the most audible change you can make IMHO.

However, are you comfortable that you have done all you can with the placement of your current speakers in the room?

If the speakers are not set up properly in the room, you may find you already have brand new speakers waiting to be let out of your current speakers. Investing in a CD of test tones and a cheap SPL meter to help smooth out the room's fequency irregularities thru carefull placement may be all you need. And the placement changes may not be as great as you might think.

But I may be telling you something you already know and have done.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Speakers. Always the most audible change you can make IMHO.

However, are you comfortable that you have done all you can with the placement of your current speakers in the room?

If the speakers are not set up properly in the room, you may find you already have brand new speakers waiting to be let out of your current speakers. Investing in a CD of test tones and a cheap SPL meter to help smooth out the room's fequency irregularities thru carefull placement may be all you need. And the placement changes may not be as great as you might think.

But I may be telling you something you already know and have done.
I have to agree. When I first got into Martin Logan, setup was vital. At first listen, I knew I made a BIG mistake and regret started to set in. After some research and some point by point on the phone guidance from a friend, things were much better and the regret was gone.

The tweaking and adjustments made all the difference in the world.

Gordon
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenZoo View Post
Thank you for all the great information thus far. It looks as though the majority here (and a couple of dealers I have spoken to) recommend getting the right pair of main speakers first. Although I'm pretty set on the MC501's, my money may be better served first in speakers.

Now I have to to some more serious listening to do over the next few weeks or months in dealerships around FL. I think I should start a new a new thread on...

***"The Best Florida Dealer to Audition AV Equipment!"***

I'm not looking for installers... just the ones you can sit down and actually audition their systems.
Any recommendations to start the list?

Here's some I have been to over the years:
Sensuous Sounds - Tampa
Audio Visions South - Tampa
Sounds Terrific - St. Petersburg
Audio Advisors - West Palm Beach
Bill's TV & Service Center - Vero Beach
House of High Fidelity - Naples
"The Room" - in an underground bunker somewhere in south Florida

Of course I still welcome more comments on the MC501 vs. New Speakers decision! Thanks again to all who have offered their suggestions and advice. It is very helpful!
Why not take a vacation and attend RMAF in Denver......?
More brands of speakers than you will find in Florida. There will be more exhibitors added to the list below.

Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgstereo View Post
Pro Tools has changed everything in the recording industry.
I am sorry for continuing the side discussion, but I just had to say something about the above.

As a former ProTools user, I can attest to that ProTools has changed everything.

Before ProTools I did all my recordings with a 4-track, minimal editing, spent more time playing and less time applying filters, etc.

After I bought ProTools, I played for 10 minutes then spent 10 hours fixing, filtering, cutting and pasting what I played.

Before ProTools I recorded a lot and loved to listen to what I played - even though it was probably LoFi and with tape noise, etc.

After ProTools, I basically stopped recording and listening to the few things I recorded with it.

I am sorry to say, but for me (and I know many others), ProTools - has been a VERY mixed blessing.

It may be a generational thing. But the most sonically and musically rewarding record I've listened to lately is Shelby Lynne's "Just a Little Lovin'" recorded straight to tape (I think straight to 2 tracks even). It sounds great even streaming at 192Kbps CBR.

I say this with full respect for dpgstereo's opinion (we all have different views and preferences.) But, while we can all agree that ProTools has changed everything, I am sure he knows that not everyone in the industry is thrilled with what ProTools has brought forth.

Back to the original discussion. Sorry for the deviation. Perhaps we should start a new thread.

Alberto
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Until you said you were moving to an apartment....

I'd also suggest you find your speaker(s) FIRST and then worry about the electronics. Do you prefer a live dynamic sound that horns can provide (without some of the honkyness that some say they have)? Do you want it as background dinner music levels?

I'm a fan of big horns so I'm biased.

I like the idea of big horns AND perhaps big amps (106 db horns biamped with about 500 watts on HF and LF section)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

I have a somewhat different take in that I think of amplification as the foundation. You should be able to audition the 501s with many different speakers to determine if they are right for you. Once your foundation is strong, you can then begin auditioning speakers in earnest, hopefully at home, to determine which work best for you. Having said that, there is no wrong approach just one that makes sense to you. Good luck in your decision.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
Why not take a vacation and attend RMAF in Denver......?
More brands of speakers than you will find in Florida. There will be more exhibitors added to the list below.

Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009
I agree. I am disappointed that I will miss this years event. It was like looking thru a toy catalog when you were a kid. I take that one, and that one and that one.