AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Default MC501's or New Speakers?

Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first piece of Mcintosh gear and my MDA1000 is on it's way! And before it's even hear, I'm already thinking about the next logical upgrade.

I've always loved the sound, look and feel of tubed equipment... and was considering tubed amps for a while but decided against it as it would have to be integrated into a home theater. I'll probably wind up getting a tubed pre-amp down the road for the warmth combined with solid state MCamps.

Which I guess leads me to the question at hand as to the next logical step in the upgrade process to more (or all) Mcintosh gear, excluding speakers.

So, in looking at my system: Rotel RSP-1098, Rotel RMB-1095, B&W 703’s, 705’s, HTM7, (2) ASW-700 Subs, RGPC-1200, Synergistic Research Cables, Custom HTPC..., would amps or speakers be the next step up? For the sake of argument, let's say between $6K - $8K and will purchase the MC501's or new/used speakers and am looking at Wilson Audio - Sophia / Watt Puppy or Focal Jmlab Electra 1037Be or something similar.

Any and all comments welcome as I'm trying to absorb as much good info as possible. By the way, all my Rotel & B&W equipment is up for sale or trade for some new Mcintosh stuff!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenZoo View Post
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my first piece of Mcintosh gear and my MDA1000 is on it's way! And before it's even hear, I'm already thinking about the next logical upgrade.

I've always loved the sound, look and feel of tubed equipment... and was considering tubed amps for a while but decided against it as it would have to be integrated into a home theater. I'll probably wind up getting a tubed pre-amp down the road for the warmth combined with solid state MCamps.

Which I guess leads me to the question at hand as to the next logical step in the upgrade process to more (or all) Mcintosh gear, excluding speakers.

So, in looking at my system: Rotel RSP-1098, Rotel RMB-1095, B&W 703’s, 705’s, HTM7, (2) ASW-700 Subs, RGPC-1200, Synergistic Research Cables, Custom HTPC..., would amps or speakers be the next step up? For the sake of argument, let's say between $6K - $8K and will purchase the MC501's or new/used speakers and am looking at Wilson Audio - Sophia / Watt Puppy or Focal Jmlab Electra 1037Be or something similar.

Any and all comments welcome as I'm trying to absorb as much good info as possible. By the way, all my Rotel & B&W equipment is up for sale or trade for some new Mcintosh stuff!
Are you using your new MDA1000 as your main preamp? Will your music source come primarily from a computer vs a transport like the MCD1000 or something similar?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Yep, the MDA1000 can serve as the main preamp for all music. Movies may be a different story... although I'm thinking about scaling back to a better 2-channel system till I have the money to do a high-end multi-channel. I have no problem letting the Rotel Amp and Pre-amp go although it is a good bang for the buck!

I live in a digital world and have about 3000 CD's on my HTPC in WMA Lossless which is what I listen to most of the time. The only time I actually handle a CD is when I'm ready to burn a new one. With that said, no CD player is in my future and I can count my SACD & DVD-Audio collection on 2 hands, so that's not a good investment right now.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Others may disagree but find speakers you like and may want to keep. Then go for the amplification that works well with the speakers.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

ZenZoo.......Considering your stated budget, I think I would grab a pair of clean, pre-owned MC501 amplifiers ($6K or less). Once you have the backbone of the system electronics in place, you can begin to audition speakers. The MC501's will drive whatever speakers you decide to purchase.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Others may disagree but find speakers you like and may want to keep. Then go for the amplification that works well with the speakers.
+1. Many mismatch amps with speakers so take your time and do lots of listening. You'll know when it's right for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I would agree with Stillone - even though I can't really think of a pair of speakers (other than some super-high efficiency models) that would not sound great with the 501s.

Generally speaking, the room "dictates" the type/characteristics of the speakers, the speakers "dictate" the type/characteristics of the amp.

For example: small room + big and inefficient speakers + low power amp = bad.

What are the dimensions of the room? One of the biggest, and most common, mistakes is to get speakers that are "too much" for the room. As much as I'd like a pair of big Sonus Fabers, for example, the size of my room is best suited (and takes full advantage) of the smaller Guarneris.

Also, you really need to spend some time with the speakers before you commit. An in-home auditions for at least one week-end will reveal things that a quick in-store auditions will not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alberto
Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 PM

Stillone, jdandy & gregswaim, I agree with each of you... that's why I'm torn.
I love the MC501's and have heard them in a lot of great systems and feel they would be the best "Mcintosh" purchase for me and would probably match up pretty well with most speakers such as Wilson & JMLab. On the other hand, I do realize that speakers can be one of the biggest limiting factors in a great system. You can have a ton of money in equipment, but if you have crappy speakers... the system will probably sound like crap. OTHA, an awesome pair of speakers may sound pretty darn good with a $500 receiver.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 PM

My current room size is about 19 x 22 and was arranged out and treated by Rives Audio - I'm all about the room making a difference. However, I'll be moving soon to a small place so I want to choose equipment which may not be "so" dependent on room size.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 AM

Since you mentioned Wilson, a pair of Sophia 2's will be excellent in your sized room with the 501s. The Sophia 2's are a bit more forgiving of amplification and I've heard them sing pretty well with lesser amps than 501s so I would start with them and then go for a pair of 501s when the budget allows. They have great synergy together, I tried that combo in my own system.