AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Hometown Section

Hometown Section Local Music Events, Get Togethers & Visits

Old 11-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Default My Visit With Vintage Pete

I have been trying to get down to Largo, Florida for a visit with Pete for some time now. It seems like there is always something to do that keeps me from making the trip, but today was the day, and it was a blast.

Pete met me out in front of his home, and looked happy to see me when I rolled up. We carried my MCD500, and some cables into his home, and I was a bit worried I might have to defend myself when it came time to put the MCD500 back in my vehicle. I knew Pete was going to love hearing it in his system.

Before we got into enjoying the main system in the living room Pete gave me the grand tour. I think the only room in his home without a sound system is the bathroom. Really! He has managed to assemble a fine assortment of premium McIntosh, Crown, Soundcraftsman, JBL and other quality manufacturer's gear in every room. Pete is also the owner and curator of a very impressive collection of fine JBL speakers and subwoofers. He has carefully installed various components and speakers so that no matter where he spends time in his home, he has a sound system within arms reach of his seat, and even his bed.

In the Florida room where Pete spends time creating his art work, he has assemble a very nice McIntosh and JBL system with the C32, MC2205, and MR77, plus JBL 4313B's
and the incredible JBL 2241-based 18" subwoofer that puts new meaning into thunderously low bass. Where he sits and paints is the sweet spot, and it sounds very good. I have no doubt Pete spends many relaxing hours right on that couch brushing paint strokes on his canvas.

His office and bedroom sound systems are equally impressive. McIntosh MX117, MC2125 in the bedroom, and Crown rules the office with the beautiful mint condition Crown IC150A preamp and DC300 power amp driving JBL's, of course.

Many of us have enjoyed the great photos that Pete has posted of his main system in the living room, but let me tell you the photos do not do this room justice. The first thing that grabs your attention, beside the three beautiful MC501 amplifiers and the mint C40, is the monster JBL B460 18" subwoofer in an absolutely perfect, beautifully veneered JBL cabinet with mint grill. This subwoofer is as large as a desk, and when it speaks you listen. The same goes for the two premium condition JBL L220A's that are his left and right channel main speakers. Wow. If you are a JBL fan like me, these speakers create a sense of awe before you ever get to hear them.

Being the meticulous and detail oriented person that Pete is, all of his gear in the main system is installed in custom built cabinets or shelves that he designed and built himself. They are attractive to look at, and built like Fort Knox, able to handle any weight requirements that could ever be placed on them. In Pete's system everything has a place, and everything is in its place. He runs a tight ship.

After the grand tour, and casual listening to the smaller systems throughout his home, Pete and I settled into the living room to play with the big dog. Besides the great array of McIntosh gear in the main system, there is a Soundcraftsman EQ and spectrum analyzer, a DBX range expander, and a remarkable vintage pro level Crown reel to reel tape recorder. There are many other pieces of gear, just take a look at Pete's extensive signature.

Pete began our demo with some Sheena Easton, Simon and Garfunkel, Bee Gees, and we listened to a few CD's I carried down with me. Pete's sound system does not disappoint you. With three McIntosh MC501's driving two JBL L220's and that monster JBL B460 sub, there is some serious sonic energy available. The efficiency of the JBL's is high enough that the amps rarely peaked above 50 watts, and the house was rocking. I was beginning to worry about Pete's neighbors. What is most impressive about Pete's main system is the dynamics, the imaging, and the smoothness that the L220's are able to deliver without the slightest whimper. The McIntosh/JBL synergy is delivered in spades from this system. The C40 preamp, with its five bands of EQ, allows Pete to tweak his sound at will, and he enjoys this very much. It was fun to watch him add a little this or that as we listened to various artists. Tone controls are important to Pete.

We took some time to get the MCD500 connected to the balanced inputs on the C40, and get the digital coaxial cable from the MCD7009 digital output to one of the MCD500's digital inputs. It was a bit tight, as Pete has the equipment installed snug on the shelves, but we finally got it wired up. One of the reasons I wanted Pete to audition the MCD500 in his system was to hear how his MCD7009 sounded with its digital output going through the MCD500's ESS dual quad DACs. It turned out to be a startling improvement, which I knew it would be, because I also owned the MCD7009 for many years, and was able to play it through the MCD500 DACs when I first put it into my system. We listened to Dan Siegel Project on the MCD500, and then on the MCD7009 through the MCD500 DACs. There was little to no audible difference in the sound. The MCD7009 through the ESS DACs sounded open, transparent, with a new sense of resolution that the older DACs in the MCD7009 can not deliver. The MCD7009 as a transport with the ESS DACs in the MCD500 was simply amazing to hear. The way we had the signals routed, we were able to A/B the MCD7009 direct, or through the MCD500 DACs with a quick click of the input knob on the C40. When we began to listen to several Loreena McKennitt CD's that Pete owns and listens to regularly, he was immediately focused on the improvement provided by the MCD500's sound. Loreena's voice had far better definition and air between it and the other voices and instruments. When multiple instruments like a lute, violins, a mandolin, guitars, a cello and drums were building the tempo, the MCD500 was able to deliver the sonic image with no smearing of the individual sounds. Pete zeroed in on this instantly, almost from the first notes as the CD's began to play.

Before it was time to go Pete played some scenes from the Blu-ray disc of the movie U-571. Holy mackerel, those depth charge scenes, and the JBL B460 18" subwoofer along with the L220's, all powered by the MC501's, literally rattled the couch I was sitting on. I told Pete he needed to install seat belts on the furniture. Wow.

Alas, it was time for me to head north and return home. Six hours had flown by like 10 minutes. As I was unplugging the power cord and interconnects from the MCD500 I kept waiting to hear the sound of Pete racking the 12 gauge shotgun he planned to use to influence my decision about leaving the MCD500 with him. Ultimately he was a gentleman about it, but as I packed it up I sensed he did not want to see the MCD500 leave the premises.

I had a fantastic afternoon at Pete's home. We played with all the gear, laughed at each others old audio tales, shared advice, ate pizza for lunch, and listened to his very fine main system. Pete is a true gentleman, a great host, and made me feel right at home. Thanks, Pete. I really had a wonderful time today.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-24-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Dan, thanks for sharing what sounds like an ideal visit! You put us right in Pete's living room. AA is such a rare place. Not only is there amazing and helpful information throughout the forum, but friendships throughout as well. Sharing ones audio pursuits/passions with another like minded person is special indeed.

To an outsider, this passion can seem a sign of mental disturbance. Good stuff!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 AM

Dan: I think you just took us all on a visit to Pete's. JBL and McIntosh were my first introduction into the "Big Time" audio environment. The Olympus SR8's with Mac's C26 and 2105's and a Thorens turntable and Tanberg reel to reel made a lifetime impression on me.
AA is one heck of a great family. Thanks Dan and Pete,
Howard
Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 AM
What?

This is AWESOME, thx for sharing the adventure Dan & Pete, great fun.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Dan

Thanks for sharing and painting such a wonderful picture of your day with your words.

As I noted in Pete's thread, those are special days when sharing with we are able to share with other Aficionado's.

Jim
Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Hear to listen...

Great, great stuff, Dan. It's apparent that you each had a blast! Who else wants to move to Florida, after reading these two threads?!

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Now Dan, when are you going to paint a trip down to Singapore?

Its not going to be 6 hours but more likely 6 days!

I look forward to the day when you so decide to visit South East Asia.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Now Dan, when are you going to paint a trip down to Singapore?

Its not going to be 6 hours but more likely 6 days!

I look forward to the day when you so decide to visit South East Asia.
Jerry,

before arriving to Singapore, Dan will have to make a stop in Paris !
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Dan...thanks for sharing the trip to Pete's. Sounds like both of you enjoyed the time spent listening to music.

Dave
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Dan...as I mentioned in Pete's thread, it's wonderful that you guys had a chance to meet up on Pete's turf and enjoy Pete's rig. Audio fellowship at its finest