AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:48 PM

Stephen,
I don't recall getting very deep into this, but I finally have my streaming system set up.
The wired internet signal enters my music room and goes into a Cisco model SF 302-08P switch which has SFP cages built in and then via a Transparent wired ethernet cable to the Uptone EtherRegen you recommended. Then I have a Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable going to the Aurender N200 and from the Aurender I have a Shunyata Sigma USB cable into the LampizatOr Baltic 3. I have AT&T Fiber Optic Gigabit service.
The sound is fantastic! Very highly pleased with your recommendations.
My next step is to improve the connection between the Cisco switch and the EtherRegen. I spoke to Alex Crespi at Uptone who said I needed a pair of SFP transceiver/receiver and a single mode Fiber Optic cable.
1-Are there any specific brand/models of SFP receivers/transmitters/fiber optic cable that you recommend? I saw there were many models and brands available. Also the speed of the SFP receiver/transmitter can vary depending on model.
2-Where can I get these that fit the Cisco switch and UpTone EtherRegen?

As a follow up to the Ops original post
I was having issues with the Apple Ipad wi-fi connection to the Aurender. It is a long story but one of the things I tried was a different ethernet switch instead of the Cisco. Everything else remained the same, including the EtherRegen. The Cisco sounded MUCH better than the replacement (Trendnet) switch. I swapped it back and my sound improved dramatically, so yes, anything before the streamer up to the modem will make a huge difference in SQ.

Thanks for all of your help.
Regards,
Fred

PS The Cisco switch is my main switch for my entire network. I happen to have wired ethernet throughout my entire house. I connected one of the Cisco's ethernet ports to my EtherRegen via ethernet cable, which I want to try a fiber optic connection in place of my Transparent ethernet cable.

Last edited by Famester V1; 07-05-2022 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added on
Old 07-06-2022, 01:23 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
That helps a LOT, thank you for the suggestions! I have a few questions as follow-up:
I noticed you didn't list the Delta option among the Shunyata ethernet line, any reason why I should pass it over? I feel the step to Venom would immediately put myself in "shoulda gone higher" territory, so I suppose I'm looking toward the Alpha...
In my experience, the new Venom-X is better than the Delta Ethernet cable. The entire new Venom-X line is veritable breakthrough for cables, accross the board, doesn't matter what the cable is. Re-sets the bar, entirely.

Quote:
[*]That AfterDark LPS is really tempting (as is the Uptone JS-2), but I remember reading that it's poor form to power both the ER and its clock from the same LPS unit because the external clock port is on the other side of the ER "moat", thereby circumventing the isolation effect of the moat. Thoughts on that notion?
I don't agree with that notion and it's not at all consistent with my experience. The AfterDark LPS was specifically designed to power BOTH the EtherREGEN and the AfterDark Master clock. It is better-sounding than the (no longer available) Uptone LPS-1.2 that I used to use with my ER, and it flat trounces the Keces P3 (which I've come to the conclusion is a sub-par sounding LPS). Adding the Master Clock is a BIG upgrade.

Quote:
For that same isolation reason, I don't have the ER plugged into the Furman with the rest of my downstream system, but instead I've got it plugged direct to wall on a separate circuit -- I was hoping to someday pick up one of those 2-plug Hydra PCs or something similar to use it with. Are these concerns now considered unfounded, because I'd much rather have the ER powered through the Furman (and eventually the Denali).
A great power distributor for the ER would be the Shunyata PS10. Unless you get a Denali, of course. The PS10 is what I use for the Uptone LPS-1.0 that powers my router, Sonore OM (OpticalModule) and my Mac Mini in the remote music server room (which connects to the main rack via optical fiber). It made a big improvement when I moved the remote server room devices from my old Hydra 4 on to the new PS10. Not subtle, at all.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:32 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
Stephen,
I don't recall getting very deep into this, but I finally have my streaming system set up.
The wired internet signal enters my music room and goes into a Cisco model SF 302-08P switch which has SFP cages built in and then via a Transparent wired ethernet cable to the Uptone EtherRegen you recommended. Then I have a Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable going to the Aurender N200 and from the Aurender I have a Shunyata Sigma USB cable into the LampizatOr Baltic 3. I have AT&T Fiber Optic Gigabit service.
The sound is fantastic! Very highly pleased with your recommendations.
My next step is to improve the connection between the Cisco switch and the EtherRegen. I spoke to Alex Crespi at Uptone who said I needed a pair of SFP transceiver/receiver and a single mode Fiber Optic cable.
1-Are there any specific brand/models of SFP receivers/transmitters/fiber optic cable that you recommend? I saw there were many models and brands available. Also the speed of the SFP receiver/transmitter can vary depending on model.
2-Where can I get these that fit the Cisco switch and UpTone EtherRegen?

As a follow up to the Ops original post
I was having issues with the Apple Ipad wi-fi connection to the Aurender. It is a long story but one of the things I tried was a different ethernet switch instead of the Cisco. Everything else remained the same, including the EtherRegen. The Cisco sounded MUCH better than the replacement (Trendnet) switch. I swapped it back and my sound improved dramatically, so yes, anything before the streamer up to the modem will make a huge difference in SQ.

Thanks for all of your help.
Regards,
Fred

PS The Cisco switch is my main switch for my entire network. I happen to have wired ethernet throughout my entire house. I connected one of the Cisco's ethernet ports to my EtherRegen via ethernet cable, which I want to try a fiber optic connection in place of my Transparent ethernet cable.
Hi Fred,
Glad you've had such good experiences with your recent upgrades. Yeah, the Sigma digital cables really take things to another level.

For an optical transceiver that works well with ER, the Sonore OM, I've found the Finisar FTLF8519P3BNL 1000BASE-SX 2.125Gb/s 850nm LC Connector SFP Transceiver optical transceivers work the best that I've found, to date. I use Tripp-Lite optical fiber with LC/LC terminations. I bought my Finisars from Amazon.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
In my experience, the new Venom-X is better than the Delta Ethernet cable. The entire new Venom-X line is veritable breakthrough for cables, accross the board, doesn't matter what the cable is. Re-sets the bar, entirely.
Thanks for the tip on Venom-X! I started looking at the various Venom-X offerings and now I've got a shopping list started However, I had *just* bought a used set of WW Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables around the same price point as the Venom-X cables, so I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot on that one... anyway, I'm inclined to start with the Venom-X ethernet since I'm looking to pick up other upgrade cables as well.

Quote:
I don't agree with that notion and it's not at all consistent with my experience. The AfterDark LPS was specifically designed to power BOTH the EtherREGEN and the AfterDark Master clock. It is better-sounding than the (no longer available) Uptone LPS-1.2 that I used to use with my ER, and it flat trounces the Keces P3 (which I've come to the conclusion is a sub-par sounding LPS). Adding the Master Clock is a BIG upgrade.
Excellent, that puts my mind at ease. The AfterDark Master Clock + LPSx2 combination is very reasonably priced and completes multiple upgrade steps in a fell swoop, so I'll add that to my list as well.

Quote:
A great power distributor for the ER would be the Shunyata PS10. Unless you get a Denali, of course. The PS10 is what I use for the Uptone LPS-1.0 that powers my router, Sonore OM (OpticalModule) and my Mac Mini in the remote music server room (which connects to the main rack via optical fiber). It made a big improvement when I moved the remote server room devices from my old Hydra 4 on to the new PS10. Not subtle, at all.
Haha, I was hoping to not start upgrading the equipment in the music server corner of my listening room just yet... we'll see how long I can put that off
Old 07-06-2022, 02:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on Venom-X! I started looking at the various Venom-X offerings and now I've got a shopping list started However, I had *just* bought a used set of WW Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables around the same price point as the Venom-X cables, so I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot on that one... anyway, I'm inclined to start with the Venom-X ethernet since I'm looking to pick up other upgrade cables as well.
I've got both Alpha V2 and Venom-X speakers cables, and...looked what's hooked up at present for listening to my GR-Research X-LS Encores (which are getting REALLY good now that they've got over 500 hours on them, BTW).

They're both amazing, just...different. Best analogy I can provide is two very fine single-malt scotches, Oban and Talisker. Both incredible, just...different. What you prefer ultimately is dependent on your particular taste.

Renting in is the best way to find out...gather some data, then decide. Cheers.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-06-2022 at 03:58 PM.