AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 09-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmig View Post
My "dealer" friend sells QS. He has the line stage pre, and it sounds even better than the JC2 pre-amp he uses most of the time for demo's (I use a JC2 in my system). I'd buy one, but I "need" a remote control and I prefer (not sure why) to use balanced (xlr) cables. If you've not listened to the QS linestage (non-remote version) - you really should because it's fantastic. And less than $1500!!!???
Yeah, that QS pre is truly a great value - like everything Mike sells in his line. Remote-only for me too. I've been using a Cary SLP-98 tube preamp with remote kept from my prior system - has outboard power supply, NOS 6SN7s, single-ended-outputs only; no XLR. Works remarkably well in synergy (musical, nice deep sound stage) paired with the QS Mono 120s. Someday will go back and do a comparison to the QS LS remote pre, but really like this combo too.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
My "dealer" friend sells QS. He has the line stage pre, and it sounds even better than the JC2 pre-amp he uses most of the time for demo's (I use a JC2 in my system). I'd buy one, but I "need" a remote control and I prefer (not sure why) to use balanced (xlr) cables. If you've not listened to the QS linestage (non-remote version) - you really should because it's fantastic. And less than $1500!!!???
A friend just purchased a QS preamp. He's pretty excited. Will forward your post here to him. Now he is looking to buy the QS Mid Monos with EL34 tubes for his 97db Klipsch speakers. I've heard only the Mono 60s, Mono 120s I have.

Did you ever get a chance to hear the Quicksilver Mid Monos (40w, 50% Triode)?
Old 12-31-2019, 09:15 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I use 2 QS M60 Mono blocks to power the Midrange panels on my Triamped Magnapan MGIIIa and a pair of QS Mini monos to power the Ribbon Tweeters (2 ohm)on them as well as the minis have a 2 ohm tap.
They have been in play for quite a while with updated Aragon 4004 MkII SS amps driving the Bass Panels and the NHT W2 Subwoofers. They are the end game for me. Wonderful amps.
Regards,
Jim
Old 12-31-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
They are the end game for me. Wonderful amps.
Regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,
interesting. I think you might be the fourth person to share with me using QS amps to bi-amp or try-amp electrostats or panels. Seems like a great use of QS amps. Sounds like good fun. And yet another benefit of running capable separates.

A local audiophile near me is putting his big Quicksilver V4s up for sale, downsizing situation required, and he used those to power large Magnepan 3.6Rs with great enjoyment for years and very complimentary of the synergy and sound.

I'm using my my QS mono 120s for my custom built main speakers which are a combination of electrostatic air motion mid-tweeters paired with dual nomex mid woofers. The tube power with dual KT150s per amp with the large transformers is almost on the edge of overkill since I listen at low volume mostly. I can run the bias at the low-end of the scale, tubes run cooler, it drops the sound stage back a bit which yields more of a triode type of sound which was a nice and unexpected surprise. I'm really starting to appreciate the adjustable bias as a benefit.

Achieving "the end game" is enviable. Good for you. Congratulations!

Last edited by decooney; 12-31-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Hi Jim,
interesting. I think you might be the fourth person to share with me using QS amps to bi-amp or try-amp electrostats or panels. Seems like a great use of QS amps. Sounds like good fun. And yet another benefit of running capable separates.

A local audiophile near me is putting his big Quicksilver V4s up for sale, downsizing situation required, and he used those to power large Magnepan 3.6Rs with great enjoyment for years and very complimentary of the synergy and sound.

I'm using my my QS mono 120s for my custom built main speakers which are a combination of electrostatic air motion mid-tweeters paired with dual nomex mid woofers. The tube power with dual KT150s per amp with the large transformers is almost on the edge of overkill since I listen at low volume mostly. I can run the bias at the low-end of the scale, tubes run cooler, it drops the sound stage back a bit which yields more of a triode type of sound which was a nice and unexpected surprise. I'm really starting to appreciate the adjustable bias as a benefit.

Achieving "the end game" is enviable. Good for you. Congratulations!

Sounds like you have a great system there. If I ever downsize I will go to QuickSilver Tube amps with adjustable bias in a simpler rig. The M60's and Mini Monos are auto bias designs and work wonderfully in my current set up.
Regards,
Jim
Old 01-01-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Sounds like you have a great system there. If I ever downsize I will go to QuickSilver Tube amps with adjustable bias in a simpler rig. The M60's and Mini Monos are auto bias designs and work wonderfully in my current set up.
Regards,
Jim
Thanks. I like the adjustable bias. And, with the type of 12AU7 input tubes you like (tonally and sound stage) along with the right interconnects - the amps definitely sing. NOTE: and, more improvement after full burn-in of the power tubes and caps inside. No desire to rotate gear now. Putting everything else up for sale.

Last edited by decooney; 01-26-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Would love to hear the QS Linestage preamplifier in front of my QS Mono 120 tube maps. I re-used my Cary SLP-98 tube preamp with 6SN7s from a prior system. It sounds real nice paired up with the QS amps.

A buddy has the QS remote version preamp, but also read the non-remote version sounds better... hope to test one some day but it comes only in Silver i guess...! All my gear is black. Only the remote version QS preamp comes in Black i guess...
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
...........I re-used my Cary SLP-98 tube preamp with 6SN7s from a prior system. All my gear is black. Only the remote version QS preamp comes in Black i guess...
If you decide you you need to go with the QS preamp let me know. May have an opening in my system for an SLP-98 and don't care about color.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
If you decide you you need to go with the QS preamp let me know. May have an opening in my system for an SLP-98 and don't care about color.
Heheh. Thanks FYB2! Yeah, its funny I sold my two former Cary amps and both buyers wanted the 98. I just can't seem to part with it. Outboard transformer, two pre-outs, excellent volume upgrade, nice remote control, super nice 6SN7s, Jensen Oil caps, its super hard to beat sound wise and esthetically. The QS pre is nice to try, but I love 6SN7s so it will likely be my last tube pre for a long time.
They come up every once in a while 2nd hand, in fact I may know of one a buddy has, I'll ask him too and send you a msg if he wants to part with it, he has 2 of them.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Retired

Thx. Am in no hurry as the little Elekit TU-8500 punches well above its weight and is really a delight piece. Especially for the $$.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag