AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 11-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g (newest gen) vs Dynaudio Contour 20

Hey folks,

I'm currently using a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g compact floorstanders (newest current generation). I spotted a used pair of Dynaudio Contour 20 standmount speakers at really good price on ebay but have no way of demoing them. Standmount speakers will be more suitable for my small listening room size. My MA Gold 200 5g are compact floorstanders.
How do these two sets of speakers would compare sonically? If I sell my MA Gold 200 5g I would have extra cash even after the purchase of a used pair of Countour 20 as the MA Gold 200 5g retail for quite a bit more than the Dynaudio Contour 20.

I'm thinking to sell my MA Gold 200 5g and get these Dynaudio Contour 20 standmount since they are more suitable for my small listening room size.

My current MA Gold 200 5g are laid back warm sounding speakers with very smooth highs and mids and delicate but deep bass. MA uses MPD (micro pleated diaphram) high frequency transducers with these new Gold 5g model which is a direct decendent from the new Platinum series ll. Are the Dynaudio Contour 20 more laid back or neutral compared to my MA Gold 200 5g? How would these two sets of speakers compare? I know one is compact floorstanders and the other is standmount (bookshelf) and probably not an apple to apple comparisons.

Please feel free to chime in and your advise, thoughts and opinions will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

The rest of my setup : Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player, Classe CP 800 preamp, Cary Audio SA 200.2 ES power amp.
Cables : Cardas Clear Reflection speaker cables & XLR analog interconnects, Shunyata Delta NR power cable, Transparent Reference Powerlink MM1 power cable, Audioquest Blizzard power cable.
AC power line distributor/conditioner : Shunyata PS8 with Venom Defender & Shunyata Venom V10 NR power cable.

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-05-2021 at 08:18 PM.