AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Default unsuccessful with Maxim on power amp.

Ok, My last post I happy so much with my Maxim when use with source.
It make big improvement over previous Transparent PIR. So good that I order
Dimitri following it. Last night I rearrange to use Dmitri to feed sources and preamp. and first time to use Maxim on my Moon mono blocks. power feeding to
Maxim is the same as ones feeding power amps, the Transparent Powerlink MM2.

With Maxim feeding power amp, Dynamic swing is much reduced. sense of speed is reduced, and leading edge attack are too rounded. it's quite disappointed for me as I expected the full RSA-feed system will be sonic heaven. I never blamed the Maxim as it made really outstanding sound to sources. I think Moon power supplies are too sensitive to anything that impede AC flow and this largely by extra AC cord that feed the maxim via 15A>20A Voodoo adaptor. I also tried Transparent PIR with power amp for the first time with very similar result. While dynamic punch is gone, there is not much improvement elsewhere to justify the loss of dynamic. So I have to return one RSA to dealer and keep only one to use happily with source.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
From the BAT cave ...

TOGA, I have also had good success with power conditioners on sources and poor results with power conditioners on amps.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Quite disappointed as read somewhere that Maxim is made for big amp.
May be the limit was from the cable feeding to Maxim itself. But I used the best cable
that Transparent made and proven with very high current when use with power amp.
I still use Maxim, with sources, and still very happy with it. Dmitri is in the box ready to return to dealer as I don't need that 10 outlets of Dmitri and I feel Maxim still make more powerful and fuller sound when use with source.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:18 PM

If its new it will need lot's of break in....typical of what they sound like fresh out of the box....My Dukes took about 400 hours to settle in and it was terrible for the first 350 hours and then things got better and once I reached approx. 400 hours it was all of a sudden things were very good.....The maxim use Platinum caps and huge inductors which take forever to settle and its not subtle either.....
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Then I curious why does this fresh Maxim make such a big improvement when use with source already, I don't mind about breaking-in at all when use with sources. Very good result instantly. If I wait 400 hours then there is no chance to refund it. But I am keeping Maxim, but returning Dmitri. That mean I have a chance to run Maxim with amp again when it reach 400 hours. By that time, buying Dmitri again is not too late. But if keep both till 400 hours and it still not improved, then I will be broke. Thanks for nice suggestion.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM

When I installed my Dimitri I experienced pretty much the same as my Dukes, nothing was very good until I got some hours on it. My Dimitri took a bit longer to settle and most likely it was the low current draw from the sources that acoounted for this.....I'm not kidding when I say it was like someone flipped a switch, one day terrible sound and the next was like a new system......your plan sounds like a good one with returning one before the trial period is up.....
Old 09-11-2011, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I think my plan is better than taking risk keeping them both. I guess Moon amps
are so sensitive to any change in power supply path that even a fully breaking-in Maxim may not make it. I tried many AC cords with this amp, from Oyaide Tunami, Shunyata Anaconda CX, Python CX, only Transparent MM2 and MIT AC2 make it happy. As soon as my Maxim reach about 400 hours, I will plug amplifiers in and report result to you.