AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Default Vinyl Dynamic Range

Just got the Ray Brown Trio "Soular Energy" LP "Pure Audiophile" 180gm pressing. Half speed mastered by Stan Ricker. Sticker on the album says "Caution, dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulties at low tracking forces".

Don't have any issues since I am tracking at 2.25gm with Maestro Wood and I have to say, this LP is fantastic. The bass is spectacular on this LP and it blows the door of the CD of the same recording. The bass is so deep and so wholesome with such tremendous impact, articulation and definition, it was like hearing what my turntable and cartridge are really capable of for the first time. Sorry to the vinyl critics, the digital recording of the CD doesn't have anything over the LP version, just the opposite.

Vinyl is not dead, it's only getting better. Long live vinyl! I hope that studios keep bringing us such incredible recordings.

I hope the other two LPs of Ray Brown that arrived with this one will be similar in quality. http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo....ber=PALP002BLK
Old 11-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Serge
It is something else than Dynamic Range that is making an LP sound better than CD. The maximum dynamic range of an LP is 70db to 75dB , whereas CD is 90db (some would argue 96 dB if all 16 bits were available)
Jim
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM

IMO, It is not the format difference you are experiencing, it is the quality of the recording itself. Crap, on vinyl or CD, is crap. Quality, on vinyl or CD is quality.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Yes Jim, I know that. However, I am gathering more and more evidence in my own system as I am acquiring LP of the already owned CDs. The dynamic range or at least "perceived dynamic range" is often even better on LPs for whatever reason. I already have at least a dozen LPs that simply sound much more dynamic than their CD counterparts. The bass on this latest Ray Brown LP simply energizes the room and has deeper and fuller bass as compared to the drier and not as impact-full presentation on CD. I don't even have a very serious cartridge yet. I am looking forward to doing more comparisons with the Dynavector XX2MKII that is coming to me soon.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
IMO, It is not the format difference you are experiencing, it is the quality of the recording itself. Crap, on vinyl or CD, is crap. Quality, on vinyl or CD is quality.
Not quite. I usually order duplicates on LP of what I already own, enjoy and consider a must have on CD. The LPs are better.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not quite. I usually order duplicates on LP of what I already own, enjoy and consider a must have on CD. The LPs are better.
If the CD's are not remastered for the format, and are simply transfers of the LP master to CD, they will not sound as good. Mastering for the two formats are quite different. Because of this, I am certain you have LP's that sound better than the CD version. There is no reason that a CD should sound worse than an LP. It is all in the care of the mastering im my experience.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
If the CD's are not remastered for the format, and are simply transfers of the LP master to CD, they will not sound as good. Mastering for the two formats are quite different. Because of this, I am certain you have LP's that sound better than the CD version. There is no reason that a CD should sound worse than an LP. It is all in the care of the mastering im my experience.
Most of the ones I own and referring to are analog tapes to CD and LP transfers. Obviously mastering has much to do with the end result no matter what media. XRCD is a prime example of what can be done when careful analog master tape to CD transfers take place using proprietary technology that eliminates much of the digital gremlins.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Serge,

I have several LP's that sound great even with my mediocre tt and cart. and I also enjoy to hear some good vinyl. You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy vinyl, I think you are finding that out for yourself I'm listening to this now http://www.amazon.com/Burn-Shine-Har...858909&sr=1-11 . I found it brand new at Princeton Record exchange for only $13, good album.

Last edited by 1KW; 11-21-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Serge,

I have several LP's that sound great even with my mediocre tt and cart. and I also enjoy to hear some good vinyl. You don't need to spend a fortune to enjoy vinyl, I think you are finding that out for yourself I'm listening to this now Amazon.com: Burn to Shine (2 LP): Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals: Music . I found it brand new at Princeton Record exchange for only $13, good album.
I don't know David, sometimes it feels I am spending a small fortune on new vinyl. Good thing it is offset by the used ones that I find for only a few bucks that are still in great shape.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I don't know David, sometimes it feels I am spending a small fortune on new vinyl. Good thing it is offset by the used ones that I find for only a few bucks that are still in great shape.
If you have not already done so, take a ride to Princeton and visit the Princeton Record Exchange. They have new and used LP's, CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray disks . About how many albums are you up to now ?