AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 AM

Stephen...great explanation and demonstration on the importance of line conditioning and properly designed power cords. Good job my friend.

Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Stephen...great explanation and demonstration on the importance of line conditioning and properly designed power cords. Good job my friend.

Dave
Agreed! +1

Thanks Stephen!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM

Thanks for the lesson Stephen. Always learn something new in AA!

Mike
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 AM

Great Post!

If you dress your own, custom terminate or are considering socking your existing runs, consider TechFlex Flexo Conductive! Certain to kill transfer of any EMI/RF. I had interconnects braided with this stuff scanned through airport X-Ray machines which could not even penetrate! I use it everywhere for total blackness & wouldn't do without it...

Last edited by MyPal; 03-01-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Give it a try, but I bet you'll find the amps are best left into the wall. At least for each amp I tried w/ a Hydra 8, they all ended up going straight back into the wall. While you will hear the same effect as you get on the front-end gear (quieter, lower noise floor, less grain, etc.) a loss of dynamics or transient articulation due to less than instantaneous current draw is the typical issue. The new Hydra Cyclops omits some of the MOV circuitry to resolve this issue and is targeted for amps.
Yes, I've read that, and predicted that the amp would go straight back into the wall. My understanding is the Running Springs power distributors will let you run the amp connected to them.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yes, I've read that, and predicted that the amp would go straight back into the wall. My understanding is the Running Springs power distributors will let you run the amp connected to them.
Stephen, I think you and I may have used the same source out of Southern California. It should be here tomorrow. By the way I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound too dump. The Hydra 8 used a 20 amp power chord but I've only a 15 amp circut at this time in the room. Will have any issues with this? At some point I'm going to have a dedicated 20 amp line added but will not be going that until I'm ready to spiff up the room and will be adding some lighting to the ceiling. Also what I'll likely do is plug it in for 24 hrs and let it settle in before I hook everything up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
The Hydra 8 used a 20 amp power chord but I've only a 15 amp circut at this time in the room. Will have any issues with this?
The only thing I know about this is that chords are rated for safe carrying capacity, thus your 20 amp chord is rated (can handle) up to a 20 amp load. The 15 amp breaker that you have would trip if you put more than this on the wires for x amount of time. Just don't try to defeat the breaker (i.e., don't try to substitute a 20 amp breaker for a 15), because that 15 amp breaker is protecting the wire that's in the wall, which is probably rated for 15 amps.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yes, it's eye opening and kind of scary when you realize how much EM and RFI is around your rack.
Thanks, PC, for that explanation.

It is eye opening. In the plane world we have to be very careful where we position wires, given just these issues. If you have a strobe power wire, or a transponder cable, both high emitters, next to a communication wire, you will have very bad static. Ground loops are also notorious and hard to find. I have one now that is driving me nuts.

However, I never thought about this relative to electronics. I know the military "case hardens" certain equipment, in part, to cut down on the EM and RFI. It would make double sense that our home electronics would need such as well. I noticed on some of the server DIY sites that they were trying to find cases that were as isolating as possible.

Again, good stuff, thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
Pider take a look at these articles !
Doug, thanks! I just downloaded them and will have a look shortly.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Stephen, I think you and I may have used the same source out of Southern California. It should be here tomorrow. By the way I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound too dump. The Hydra 8 used a 20 amp power chord but I've only a 15 amp circut at this time in the room. Will have any issues with this? At some point I'm going to have a dedicated 20 amp line added but will not be going that until I'm ready to spiff up the room and will be adding some lighting to the ceiling. Also what I'll likely do is plug it in for 24 hrs and let it settle in before I hook everything up.
Hi Don,
Yes, I think we did use the same source. You should be very happy with it; my guess is it will be in like-new condition. Regaridng the cord, no, you just need a cord that has a 20 amp IEC female plug on the end to go into the 20 amp male IEC on the back of the Hydra. Ths is a different design than the 15 amp IEC plug. The Python you bought should be excellent for this purpose.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.