AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 PM

I have the gen 5 super cables on my Sasha 1 and like them a lot. Came from Cardas clear light
Old 10-17-2015, 08:12 PM

Has anyone ever compared the TA Ref. level or above against the new line of TA cables?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
What length of speaker cables are you needing? My dealer has a loom of Reference MM2 he is selling since he's moved to Opus Gen 5. I agree with thesaint519, Reference mm2 should give you a very nice differentiation from your already good Cardas cabling...(which I used to own a while back) Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
You're probably a great person to ask this question to, having had experience with both the former and current line of TA cables. Can you give me some insight in some the sonic differences? I'm at TA Ref XL MM2 currently. Worth considering an upgrade?

Last edited by thesaint519; 10-17-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
You're probably a great person to ask this question to, having had experience with both the former and current line of TA cables. Can you give me some insight in some the sonic differences? I'm at TA Ref XL MM2 currently. Worth considering an upgrade?
Yeah it's worth it. The question is around affordability. It gets expensive fast to go up the line.

Opus MM2 is in another league I hate to say. I went from Ref MM MM2 Speaker and Interconnect (digital to pre, pre to amp) (so one notch above your XL) and frankly was floored at the improvement in resolution, imaging, bass (depth, weight articulation) and just immensely more fun to listen to. All this being said that your current cables are pretty fantastic in their own right. I did this in steps. First was the digital to pre. Then pre to amp. Then speaker. Each one not only improves per above...but adding more Opus seems to elevate everything so 1+1+1=5

I've since gone from Opus MM2 to Gen 5, again in steps. My speaker cable is last to swap out and it's going back this week. I had my dealers Opus Gen 5 speaker to compare directly to my Opus MM2 speaker...it's unmistakably better...and you hear it on the first note. Keep in mind I loved my Opus MM2-Gen 5 lowers the noise, resolution and palpability goes up...seems like you washed the windows and looked out again. The instruments are more in the room now. You can hear...and feel movement and the relationships between he players and the notes...

I feel Opus is more important than any electronic change. It's that big of deal. With your Lamm and Meitner front end...you have great electronics that will be hard to beat. Investing in Opus...well just get your dealer to let you try one cable. You'll know from there.

I'd say Opus MM2 Certified Used is a lower cost to entry and you are NOT going wrong here. Gen 5 is better...but you'll be totally smitten coming from Ref XL to Opus MM2.

My dealer also just received 2 Opus power cords a few days ago. He's breaking them in now...I can't wait to hear what they sound like.

Some may say it's overkill with your Sasha's. You should upgrade those first to Maxx 3's, Alexia's or Rockport Cygnus or Altairs. This maybe a valid point. And something to consider if your room allows...

Hope this helps.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 10-18-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's worth it. The question is around affordability. It gets expensive fast to go up the line. Opus MM2 is in another league I hate to say. I went from Ref MM MM2 Speaker and Interconnect (digital to pre, pre to amp) (so one notch above your XL) and frankly was floored at the improvement in resolution, imaging, bass (depth, weight articulation) and just immensely more fun to listen to. All this being said that your current cables are pretty fantastic in their own right. I did this in steps. First was the digital to pre. Then pre to amp. Then speaker. Each one not only improves per above...but adding more Opus seems to elevate everything so 1+1+1=5 I've since gone from Opus MM2 to Gen 5, again in steps. My speaker cable is last to swap out and it's going back this week. I had my dealers Opus Gen 5 speaker to compare directly to my Opus MM2 speaker...it's unmistakably better...and you hear it on the first note. Keep in mind I loved my Opus MM2-Gen 5 lowers the noise, resolution and palpability goes up...seems like you washed the windows and looked out again. The instruments are more in the room now. You can hear...and feel movement and the relationships between he players and the notes... I feel Opus is more important than any electronic change. It's that big of deal. With your Lamm and Meitner front end...you have great electronics that will be hard to beat. Investing in Opus...well just get your dealer to let you try one cable. You'll know from there. I'd say Opus MM2 Certified Used is a lower cost to entry and you are NOT going wrong here. Gen 5 is better...but you'll be totally smitten coming from Ref XL to Opus MM2. My dealer also just received 2 Opus power cords a few days ago. He's breaking them in now...I can't wait to hear what they sound like. Some may say it's overkill with your Sasha's. You should upgrade those first to Maxx 3's, Alexia's or Rockport Cygnus or Altairs. This maybe a valid point. And something to consider if your room allows... Hope this helps. Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Jfrech,

Yeah, it helps. It helps lighten my bank account - substantially. I guess I've gotta make some calls to my dealer. Thanks again, I think. 😢
Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Jfrech,

Yeah, it helps. It helps lighten my bank account - substantially. I guess I've gotta make some calls to my dealer. Thanks again, I think. 😢
Hey sorry ...seriously just get a demo and you'll know for sure. My dealer had Ref mm2 and upon hearing my Opus ordered a full loom for his demo system. This hobby is hard on our precious $$'s.

You're Wilson's are GREAT speakers. I've owned WP6, WP8, Maxx 2 and 3.

Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Old 10-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Hey sorry ...seriously just get a demo and you'll know for sure. My dealer had Ref mm2 and upon hearing my Opus ordered a full loom for his demo system. This hobby is hard on our precious $$'s. You're Wilson's are GREAT speakers. I've owned WP6, WP8, Maxx 2 and 3. Speakers: Rockport Altair 2 Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3) Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Truth is, I know you're right. The moment I try the new TAs, I'll want them. And the momentum I listen to the Alexia's, I'll want them too. I'm trying to fight the temptation, but the feeling's growing stronger.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:33 PM

I have just purchased a reference xl mm2 balanced interconnet which is calibrated to go between the Jeff Rowland preamp and the Bryston 4bsst2. Does anyone have experience on the length of time for full break-in and sounding its best? I have heard wildly varying reports from a few days to 400 hours. Thanks
Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM

I've found after 2 hours it sounds better. Then after about 48 hours...then after a few weeks. You don't have to have your amp on...So I'd just play music. I bet after 48 hours you're very happy. If it's a used cable...it will be much quicker...just a few hours to settle down...

Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Old 11-04-2015, 05:31 PM

@jfrench Thanks; nice to know that they will sound good after 48 hours. All my other Transparent products were bought used.