AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Default What level of Transparent Cable?

I recently changed my electronics and the manufacturer is recommending Transparent cabling. I currently have Cardas Golden Reference entirely through my system. So my plan is to start moving into Transparent with speaker cables and work up the chain as I can afford it.

My current gear includes: Sasha 1; Doshi Jhor & Alaap V2.1; TW Acustic Raven & Graham Phantom Supreme & Air Tight PC1.

What level of Transparent should I consider as a minimum entry point? The Cardas Golden Reference is fairly pricey, but nothing compared to the higher levels of Transparent. I don't want to step backwards with cabling, but at the same time don't want to break the bank and have more invested in wires than my electronics. I am also open to buying used and B stock.

I'd appreciate any direct experience you have with the various levels of Transparent and Wilson speakers.

Thanks,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
I recently changed my electronics and the manufacturer is recommending Transparent cabling. I currently have Cardas Golden Reference entirely through my system. So my plan is to start moving into Transparent with speaker cables and work up the chain as I can afford it. My current gear includes: Sasha 1; Doshi Jhor & Alaap V2.1; TW Acustic Raven & Graham Phantom Supreme & Air Tight PC1. What level of Transparent should I consider as a minimum entry point? The Cardas Golden Reference is fairly pricey, but nothing compared to the higher levels of Transparent. I don't want to step backwards with cabling, but at the same time don't want to break the bank and have more invested in wires than my electronics. I am also open to buying used and B stock. I'd appreciate any direct experience you have with the various levels of Transparent and Wilson speakers. Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave,

It's been some time since last spoke. I hope all is well. As Cardas Reference cables are at the top of the food chain, I would recommend that you start with TA Ref level cables. Anything less than the Reference line will probably be a step backward. I, too, have Sashas - Gen I. My electronics are Lamm M1.2 (which, if I remember correctly, you are very familiar with), Lamm L2 Pre, Meitner MA-1 DAC, and a Meridian Sooloos Ensemble music server. The system is stringed together with TA Ref XL cabling throughout. I couldn't be happier with TA and the performance they offer.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Hi my friend, yes I have been gone for a couple of years! Fell deep into RC airplanes with my son and lost some interest in audio. But I'm back and having fun again with my system.

Thanks for the advice on the Reference level cables. Man...that's gonna be quite an investment! But I guess you can't "crash" your cables and watch your investment burn up on the ground!

Have you tried any of the lower levels such as Ultra or Super?

Thanks,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 10-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Hi my friend, yes I have been gone for a couple of years! Fell deep into RC airplanes with my son and lost some interest in audio. But I'm back and having fun again with my system. Thanks for the advice on the Reference level cables. Man...that's gonna be quite an investment! But I guess you can't "crash" your cables and watch your investment burn up on the ground! Have you tried any of the lower levels such as Ultra or Super? Thanks, Dave
Ultra is the level where you can begin to think TA are worth the investment in my experience.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Hi my friend, yes I have been gone for a couple of years! Fell deep into RC airplanes with my son and lost some interest in audio. But I'm back and having fun again with my system. Thanks for the advice on the Reference level cables. Man...that's gonna be quite an investment! But I guess you can't "crash" your cables and watch your investment burn up on the ground! Have you tried any of the lower levels such as Ultra or Super? Thanks, Dave
Welcome back, I guess, is in order. I couldn't think of a better reason to set audio aside outside of my children. So kudos to you for choosing them first. As you may remember, I'm a HUGE proponent of buying "used". Otherwise this hobby would be cost prohibitive. You can find some excellent buys online or demo units from Definitive Audio out of Washington state. That's the only way I could've pulled this together.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:20 AM

Thanks I'll check out Definitive Audio. Never used them before.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks I'll check out Definitive Audio. Never used them before.
I dealt with Tom King. I bought a set of TA Ref XL ICs from him. He was superlative. Pls tell him I sent you.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:38 AM

What length of speaker cables are you needing? My dealer has a loom of Reference MM2 he is selling since he's moved to Opus Gen 5.

I agree with thesaint519, Reference mm2 should give you a very nice differentiation from your already good Cardas cabling...(which I used to own a while back)

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus Interconnect
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x6), Sigma HC (x1), Sigma Analog (x3)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC, Transport & Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)
Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=jfrech;733307]What length of speaker cables are you needing? My dealer has a loom of Reference MM2 he is selling since he's moved to Opus Gen 5.

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I just bought a pair of speaker cables. So next up is a pair of 20 - 25 ft. interconnects. I can use either balanced or RCA.

Dave
Old 10-15-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Hi Dave,

It's been some time since last spoke. I hope all is well. As Cardas Reference cables are at the top of the food chain, I would recommend that you start with TA Ref level cables. Anything less than the Reference line will probably be a step backward. I, too, have Sashas - Gen I. My electronics are Lamm M1.2 (which, if I remember correctly, you are very familiar with), Lamm L2 Pre, Meitner MA-1 DAC, and a Meridian Sooloos Ensemble music server. The system is stringed together with TA Ref XL cabling throughout. I couldn't be happier with TA and the performance they offer.
+1 on Ref (MM2) or higher