AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey

Sounds like you had a great visit. The 604's are wonderful, wonderful speakers. I can't comment on "over priced", I just know they're some of the best I've heard -but I haven't heard many at that price.

I like the Orangutans too, but as you say, it's hard to make a comparison to speakers 3x the cost. They're also very different speakers than what I'm used to. They do some things extremely well (rock, big music, etc) but I prefer John's other offerings for jazz. They're a terrific addition to his line up and I think a lot depends on your musical preferences which direction you'd go.

I'm always fascinated by the Haut Brion vs. Cortese comparison. To my ear, that F2a tube is the bomb. Others hear the world quite differently. I guess that's what makes this hobby (and world for that matter) so interesting.
Can yo share some more about the Orangutans? I'd welcome your input on why and what you like about the O96's. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Not sure I can add much more than I have, but I'll try. The O/96's present music much differently than what I'm used to with the other DeVore speakers I'm familiar with (I started out with the 8s, moved to the Nines, and now have the Silverbacks). With the Gibbon series & S'Backs, I find it to be a more intimate listening experience -instruments in the room kinda deal. With the Orangutans, the sound is more projected as if you're listening to a show. I think this is ideal for music that is projected (especially rock, big band, stage music, etc), I find the S'backs excel for smaller scale jazz trios/quartets/quintets etc. which I spend most of my time listening too. If I listened to more rock, the O/96's would be a no brainier.

One other thing to add, they do take forever to break-in. If you don't have one, get an old SS amp and let them play for a couple hundred hours before you even listen to them, otherwise you may find them disappointing out of the gate.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey View Post
Not sure I can add much more than I have, but I'll try. The O/96's present music much differently than what I'm used to with the other DeVore speakers I'm familiar with (I started out with the 8s, moved to the Nines, and now have the Silverbacks). With the Gibbon series & S'Backs, I find it to be a more intimate listening experience -instruments in the room kinda deal. With the Orangutans, the sound is more projected as if you're listening to a show. I think this is ideal for music that is projected (especially rock, big band, stage music, etc), I find the S'backs excel for smaller scale jazz trios/quartets/quintets etc. which I spend most of my time listening too. If I listened to more rock, the O/96's would be a no brainier.

One other thing to add, they do take forever to break-in. If you don't have one, get an old SS amp and let them play for a couple hundred hours before you even listen to them, otherwise you may find them disappointing out of the gate.
From experience I dont find my 096's to be great only on certain types of music. Yes, I agree they project the music forward, this is likely caused by the large front baffle, and John's design objective, but to me the intimacy is not lacking in any way, or any less than the Gibson super 8's (never heard the 9's or silverbacks) . I find them far more intimate than all my previous hi-end speakers (Sonus fabers, Wilsons). They are hardly a one trick pony and excel at pretty much everything I can throw at them.

As far a break-in they do take awhile, but hardly sounded "disappointing" out of the box, just a little disjointed, lacking cohesion.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a huge fan of the O96's, and if I didn't already own the Silverbacks, I'd probably have a pair. I'm familiar with the system you're listening to, it's awesome. I know the system I listen to, it's awesome. But there are differences I find worth discussing, but it is all relative. Perhaps that was lost in my original post.

So, please don't twist my words. If I find the S'backs more "intimate", it doesn't mean I think the O96's aren't. If I find the O'96's better for "rock", it doesn't mean I think they are a "one trick pony". I didn't even say they were "disappointing", I just offered fair warning to others not to expect too much out of the box. Believe it or not, some may find that "just a little disjointed, lacking cohesion" to be disappointing.

Last edited by Old Grey; 11-04-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Please give me your impressions of these speakers with the Montille/Aurieges combo. I have an Aurieges, intend to get a Montille, and would be in the market for standmount speakers that are fairly full-range and efficient. This question is for Shindoug. I am curious about this amp/preamp combo with the Ref 3a.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by melville1; 11-05-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey View Post
Don't misunderstand me, I'm a huge fan of the O96's, and if I didn't already own the Silverbacks, I'd probably have a pair. I'm familiar with the system you're listening to, it's awesome. I know the system I listen to, it's awesome. But there are differences I find worth discussing, but it is all relative. Perhaps that was lost in my original post.

So, please don't twist my words. If I find the S'backs more "intimate", it doesn't mean I think the O96's aren't. If I find the O'96's better for "rock", it doesn't mean I think they are a "one trick pony". I didn't even say they were "disappointing", I just offered fair warning to others not to expect too much out of the box. Believe it or not, some may find that "just a little disjointed, lacking cohesion" to be disappointing.
Agreed we are both talking about preferences here, not that one speaker is better than another and from what I have read/heard the Silverbacks and the O96's are amazing, but read your post, you did say "disappointing out of the gate". I didnt twist your words. Also, I have never owned a speaker that sounded great out of the box. They all take time to open up.

In the end we both have superb systems with different attributes, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. No disrespect intended. Have a great weekend...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM

Here's my system, sorry for the bad pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (94.9 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (78.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Dirt: La Scala's very nice! Nothing like the midrange from those horns eh? Do I also see a Monbrison and Montille?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Here's my system, sorry for the bad pics
Very nice, clean setup. An issues with the ceiling angles?
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM

actually I would think the ceiling angles would help in breaking up standing waves and may even improve the sound?