AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-18-2011, 02:53 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Audio Note.

Yes, these work well with a few Shindo amps - Montille, Montrachet in particular. You need corner clearance as they are designed particularly for corner room loading. This may or may not be possible in some listening environments.

-M
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr.

-M
Thanks Matt.

Joe
Old 08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That thought did cross my mind. I doubt they sound as refined as the other candidates though. I've gathered they can sound relentless with anything but a warm and fuzzy tube amp like Dynaco70 for example. Shindo deserves and requires much better than that.
I've heard them and I would not characterize at all that way at all...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Does Art Dudley use Corton Charlemagne EL34 ( 2 x 25 W ) with his Wilson Sophia or is my memory wrong ?
Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Art uses them with Audio Note ANE4-6itizxsomething or other (keeping Audio Note model numbers straight is like trying to keep Harley-Davidson models straight with their FLXs and FLH2e and FXSRs, blah, blah...)

He has reviewed Wilsons and may have a pair on loan, but AFAIK, he does not own Wilsons...
Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr.

-M
Hmmm..."$99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet"....sounds like Wils..er, never mind.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM

I have always wondered why Devore speakers are such a good match with Shindo? The sensitivity for The Nines is only 90.5db and the Super 8's is 90db

Joe
Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Yep, I found where he says that he uses the Corton EL34 with the Sophia 3.

"My primary amplifiers during the Sophias' stay were a pair of Shindo Corton-Charlemagne monoblocks: 25W push-pull amps using two EL34s each in ultralinear mode, with zero global feedback (but a bit of local feedback around the input and driver tubes). Unusually among recent Shindos, the Cortons' output transformers can be wired for 4-ohm output, which I duly did."

Matt, what does the last phrase in black mean ?
I think it's basically setting the output taps (binding posts) on the amp to be optimal for four ohm speaker loads..this involves rewiring the transformers. Some amps already come with 4, 8 or 16 ohm taps.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Yes, he had used them when he reviewed the speakers.

-M