AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshed View Post
Thanks James,

Since I asked my last question I have been reading about how preamp and processors work.
I don't know if you read in my previous post about my objective of improving the sound of 2 channel listening with the source of modded oppo 95 by Dan from ModWright .My current Pre processor is Anthem avr 700 and I find if I connect my oppo 95 with analogue cables to Anthem it sound better as compared to HDMI connection.
I was thinking of replacing anthem with Bryston but if analogue signal from oppo is NOT going to be processed by Anthem or Bryston as its a pass through so there is No quality/character can be added to the sound.
So limiting factor to quality of sound is source(oppo) which is already giving analogue and not the processor .
Am I making sense or missing something.
I must admit I am passionate about music but not much experience or knowledge .
Please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Hi

In the analog mode you do NOT want the processor to process anything - you simply want to add GAIN to the signal. Adding gain to the analog signal using discrete analog Class A circuits is a much better way to do it than the typical IC's used in many processors. I think you would find analog through the SP3 to be superb.

Remember that most processors are really just computers that process music. The SP3 is a totally different approach. It is an audio product first and foremost and is designed as a state of the art preamp for both analog and digital signal processing.

james
Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM

It can't be more reassuring .
I was myself wondering if Pre pro is such an ineffective thing then why people spend so much money on it.
So bottom line is that by adding bryston Sp3 it will improve my 2 ch system even with analogue signal coming from oppo 95.
I have bryston 14bsst2 as well which replaced anthem P2.
One thing good about bryston amp is it is more listenable .
And another member gbaby( i think)commented about Sp3 that he could listen to music more loud .
But still I find my system is not musical as I enjoy my music on my klipsch tiny computer speakers more than my home theatre
My system
Paradigm sig 8 speakers(which I sold today. )
Anthem Mrx 700
Bryston 14bsst2
Transparent reference speaker cables.
JL audio f113
Oppo 95 modded by ModWright .
Sony 1000ES projector(Nothing to do with musicality)
Apple TV (my first love)
Thanks

Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM

People buy the SP3 to have the best of both worlds (digital HT & analog stereo) in one system.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It can't be more reassuring .
I was myself wondering if Pre pro is such an ineffective thing then why people spend so much money on it.
So bottom line is that by adding bryston Sp3 it will improve my 2 ch system even with analogue signal coming from oppo 95.
I have bryston 14bsst2 as well which replaced anthem P2.
One thing good about bryston amp is it is more listenable .
And another member gbaby( i think)commented about Sp3 that he could listen to music more loud .
But still I find my system is not musical as I enjoy my music on my klipsch tiny computer speakers more than my home theatre
My system
Paradigm sig 8 speakers(which I sold today. )
Anthem Mrx 700
Bryston 14bsst2
Transparent reference speaker cables.
JL audio f113
Oppo 95 modded by ModWright .
Sony 1000ES projector(Nothing to do with musicality)
Apple TV (my first love)
Thanks

With the SP3 you will improve your 2 channel performance from all sources. I recommend feeding the SP3 digital from all digital sources as all but a few of the very best dacs can compare with the AD conversion of the SP3.

I found using the SP3 to convert 2 ch to be better than running analogue from the Oppo 95. Not only did I find the overall performance to be better but the bass management of the SP 3 allowed me to seamlessly integrate my sub with my mains, something I could not get the Oppo to do.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM

The OP's Oppo has a $2000 tubed output modification which brings the 95 to a new level. I think there is a good chance that the analog output is the way to go. Only his ears can tell.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM

I hope he is not re-digitizing it with the Anthem. If you want to run ARC, might as well sell the 95 and get a 103 or cheap Sony.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Thank you so much for all this input.
I now recall when I bought anthem I remember asking them and I THINK they clearly mentioned every signal which goes into Anthem get digitized .Stefan , you hit the nail on head.
I find using the ARC system on Anthem makes the sound better AND also getting signal from oppo through is analogue mod sound better than HDMI.
That's why I asked James what happens to analogue signal once it goes to SP3 and he explained its passed untouched through special circuits where as I have just recalled in Anthem it's redigitized ,it will put everything through processing irrespective of type of signal .
Anthem MRX 700 also cannot handle more than 24/92!!???I think.
Great help.
Thanks for all input.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM

That's 24/192.

Doesn't the MRX have an Analog-Direct mode? I know the Anthem preamps do, and they are very transparent sounding. Try it! You could always upgrade to a D2 and enjoy even better ARC but since you sold your P2 for a 14B, I can see what direction you're heading
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 AM

I have only one direction and that is good engaging sound .
My system if look at gear it's not bad but my system doesn't sound engaging at all.
It's life less ,lean thin,it doesn't bring smile on my face .
I keep spending money on my high end system! And I still enjoy more on 200$ klipsch computer speaker.My headphone worth 250$ more engaging .
I have looked it up for Mrx direct mode .
It's not in Mrx only in Anthemd2.
I read this on another forum.

Note also that unlike MRX, Anthem's pre/pros (AVM50V and Statement D2V) have analog pure direct and most customers report that they use ARC instead. Essentially even if you can run direct, ARC's ability to take the room out of the equation offers much more audible results.

P2 very capable amp GREAT punch but very fatiguing to my ears.
It was not till I listened to Bryston 14bsst2 I realized that Anthem P2 is fatiguing .you will be surprise I could never listen to a complete song .
I feel it might make my system enjoyable by adding good Pre??
I walk out low from my music room as it fails to bring smile on my face.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I have only one direction and that is good engaging sound .
My system if look at gear it's not bad but my system doesn't sound engaging at all.
It's life less ,lean thin,it doesn't bring smile on my face .
I keep spending money on my high end system! And I still enjoy more on 200$ klipsch computer speaker.My headphone worth 250$ more engaging .
I have looked it up for Mrx direct mode .
It's not in Mrx only in Anthemd2.
I read this on another forum.

Note also that unlike MRX, Anthem's pre/pros (AVM50V and Statement D2V) have analog pure direct and most customers report that they use ARC instead. Essentially even if you can run direct, ARC's ability to take the room out of the equation offers much more audible results.

P2 very capable amp GREAT punch but very fatiguing to my ears.
It was not till I listened to Bryston 14bsst2 I realized that Anthem P2 is fatiguing .you will be surprise I could never listen to a complete song .
I feel it might make my system enjoyable by adding good Pre??
I walk out low from my music room as it fails to bring smile on my face.

I had this problem exactly years ago,Till I upgraded to a good amp which has H/T bypass what ever you do bypass that surround sound thing I did you will never look back. Try and loan a integrated from a store with h/t bypass or a pre with true h/t bypass connect your cd directly in to the integrated,or pre you will see. Enjoy the journey