AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 04-03-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Good Internet Streamer To Pair With Yggdrasil 2

I am looking for streamer recommendations on a soon to be acquired Yggs.

I’ll be going into a Mcintosh Pre and Power amp and am looking to stream Tidal, Qobuz, etc.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
I am looking for streamer recommendations on a soon to be acquired Yggs.

I’ll be going into a Mcintosh Pre and Power amp and am looking to stream Tidal, Qobuz, etc.

Thanks!
What's your budget and would a network bridge suffice?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:06 PM

Budget....maybe sweetspot around 1-3k, if necessary possibly a bit more...

Not sure I really understand what a bridge is?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 PM

I know what pumacat is going to say, let me beat him to it...

He helped me too.

The sotm sms 200 ultra neo and sps 500 power supply will come in under 2k and really are fantastic! It took my streaming to the next level.

Network bridge is "ethernet to USB". I'm sure he will have more to say about this.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:28 PM

Forgot to mention, you'll probably want to run roon on a server on the same network as well.

The sotm has some other music source choices but I haven't explored them.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:39 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Budget....maybe sweetspot around 1-3k, if necessary possibly a bit more...

Not sure I really understand what a bridge is?
A network bridge allows you to stream 1) files resident on a hard drive connected to a computer, or 2) from a streaming service, to a DAC.

Functionally, its role is to take files sent from a music server or IP connection via copper Ethernet and convert the signal to a USB output for sending to a DAC. It can also be used in conjunction with an Ethernet switch and/or fiber media convertor to receive digital files via optical fiber from a remote music server, and then output via USB to a USB-capable DAC. The key thing about network bridge is that it is both configurable and controllable via a network interface using a smart phone, computer or tablet.

In many ways, it is functionally analagous to a streamer, e.g. a BluSound or Innuous, etc.

One of the nice things about a network bridge as opposed to streamers that use high-bandwidth CPUs is that network bridges don't spew high-bandwidth noise all around your audio rack to be picked up by components and amplified as more noise.

And yes, I am big fan of the SOtM UltraNeo network bridge. I use it in conjunction with Roon to stream files from the music server that resides 40 feet away in another part of the house to send either ripped files or stream from services like Qobuz, Tidal, etc. So, I configure the SOtM using its own Eunhasu software, and then use Roon to select and deliver content via my network connection to my DAC.

The nice thing about network bridges is they are typically less expensive than Steamers e.g. Squeezebox Touch (discontinued), Aurender, Innuous, etc.

You can get a streamer, e.g. the Allo Volumio Primo for 475 Euro, or the Sonore UltraRendu for about $875.

The SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo netowork bridge that Marc references is about $1200. Pair it with a Keces P3 power supply for ~$400, and you are good to go.

This will give you performance just shy of the Auralic Aries G2 that sells for about $4K.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-04-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:36 AM

I’m running a Bel Canto e.One Stream with my Yggy, all Qobuz and NAS hi-res files. It’s worked well for me, no complaints.
Focal Sopra 2, MC611’s, C1100, MCD1100, Zesto Andros, Feickert Woodpecker/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA, Hana Umami Red, HRS, HiFi Rose RS130, Schiit Yggy, AQ Niagara 5000 w/Hurricanes, Cardas, WireWorld Silver 7's.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:02 AM

Auralic Aries G1 (G2 has better power supplies and a better chassis and better feet with options for external clock)

Lumin U1/U1 mini

dCS Network Bridge
Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 AM

It's going to come down to whether you want an all in one solution with dedicated software like with Auralic, Lumin, Innuos or Aurender or multiple pieces with multiple cables and power supplies using "generic" software applications like Sonore and SOTM. They will both get you there but the road will be different with a different learning curve.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:34 AM

Default Good Internet Streamer To Pair With Yggdrasil 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Auralic Aries G1 (G2 has better power supplies and a better chassis and better feet with options for external clock)

Lumin U1/U1 mini

dCS Network Bridge

Although my first choice was the dCS Network Bridge, its lack of wifi made the Aries G2 the only true alternative. Having used the Aries G2 for some time now, I’m very satisfied with my purchase.

The Aries G1 at half the price of the Aries G2 seems like excellent value. You really don’t miss out on a lot for most use cases.

The G2 opens the door to an excellent upgrade path that allows you to assemble the full Auralic stack as budget permits.

Whatever product one chooses, I would highly recommend that it is a recognised ROON Ready endpoint.

Last edited by JemHadar; 04-08-2020 at 07:38 AM.