AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 07-02-2016, 11:26 PM

Ordered one yesterday. Its about the same price as the DCS Debussy here in Singapore though. Would the DCS be a better choice? Hmmmmm
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 PM

I just ordered one and am excited. I just sold a GREAT sounding DAC in the Empirical OSDE and I am concerned the Ayre may not be as good, but I think it could be. This is the first time I've ever bought something like this without listening first. The OSDE was just a SMIDGE lower than the Berkley Ref 1 DAC, so this Ayre has a lot to live up to for me. I do have faith or I wouldn't have sold the OSDE at this point. I'll most probably be using the newer QNAP 471 NAS running Roon Core as well as HQPlayer (not totally sold on the latter though). If not, I'll just get the Melco and us it as a NAS. I'll do USB if I have the Melco, but if I go with the QNAP, I'll be needing to go Ethernet. I wonder if the connection is Galvanic Isolated.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 AM

My DX-5 has galvanic isolated USB connection, my guess is that they will do do that for any Computer/network connection.

There is not much info yet on the Ayre site, hopefully the will give more info on the website soon.

I am wondering how much better it will sound than my DX-5.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:42 AM

The QB9 and QB9-DSD were always reviewed as one of the most computer immune DACs out there. I assume the QX-5 will be as good and probably better in that regard.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM

I've spoken to Alex a couple of times as well as others who have heard it. That's the only reason I sold my Empirical OSDE/SE. that was the best DAC I've ever heard under 15k and it's not close. Many feel the same about it. I love Ayre gear other than a piece or two, so I'm assuming the DAC will be special. It's not their statement piece since it's a 5 series, but it should sound great with my AX-5/Twenty. Learning so much about digital. I have decided that I'm getting the QNAP 471 and running Roon core and most probably the HQPlayer after reading up on them.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
I've spoken to Alex a couple of times as well as others who have heard it. That's the only reason I sold my Empirical OSDE/SE. that was the best DAC I've ever heard under 15k and it's not close. Many feel the same about it. I love Ayre gear other than a piece or two, so I'm assuming the DAC will be special. It's not their statement piece since it's a 5 series, but it should sound great with my AX-5/Twenty. Learning so much about digital. I have decided that I'm getting the QNAP 471 and running Roon core and most probably the HQPlayer after reading up on them.
I know they say HQPlayer sounds good upconverting to LPCM. But wouldn't a DAC that does Native DSD be a better option if you are going to do HQPlayer? Native DSD 256 or better.

Otherwise I'd let the Ayre do it's magic on Red book. It's filters are top notch as it is.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM

Last edited by Blackstone; 11-04-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM

So basically go without the HQPlayer and use Roon? I have about 300gb of well recorded high res material in all genres that is run from a mac mini that was rebuilt by Steven Nugent of Empirical. He used the server in shows before moving to Antipodes. I will be selling it off as soon as I figure out what NAS to run for the best sound. I don't have to have a network as I only will stream Tidal in my Linn Kiko system (bedroom). SQ first as long as I can afford it, ease of set up and use are vital and cost will play a roll, but I've budgeted to do this properly I hope.

I have the QX on order. I sold my Empirical, which is the best under 15k DAC I've ever heard and many others with top systems agree with me. I'm expecting a ton from this Ayre and want it to sound it's best. thanks.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Which Empirical?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Empirical OSDE/SE, mentioned in a previous post.