AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Looks like Apple is set to announce a new Mac Mini (along with the iPad mini) this week.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 PM

Yeah I am waiting for the new Mini.. hopefully with a good graphics that I can use for HTPC use. I am still happy with the old 2010 Mini for dedicated music playback but I am tempted to get a new QC Mini server for music
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Looks like dedicated Mac mini is back on the wish list... How about windows running JRiver, dedicated to music? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Looks like dedicated Mac mini is back on the wish list... How about windows running JRiver, dedicated to music? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
By using a windows machine you can also use only the very best (sonically) components (i.e. sotm sound card, better USB chipset, etc...). This should provide better sound than any Mac solution. Although I don't run it, I've been impressed by my friend's JRiver iPad app. If I had to do it over, I would save $5k, skip my S10, and go this route. Aesthetically, they make very slick aliminum component looking cases too.

Last edited by mdkim; 10-27-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
I am currently running my main music system upstairs, on a Mac Mini. I have taken the time to rip all my 1000+ CD's to Apple Lossless. I have downloaded another 100+ albums from HDTracks (many in 24/192). I am using Audirvana with iTunes. I backup all my music to a WD external drive connected directly to the Mac Mini. My music is stored on the main Mac Mini second hard drive.

My questions are this:

1. I am building a second system for downstairs (family room) and it will be an all digital system utilizing the Classe CP-800 for DAC/Bass Management. What I want to know is whether there is any sonic difference between the USB output of the Mac Mini vs a USB output of a new MacBook Pro? I would prefer a MacBook pro for easy access/convenience, but I don't want to jeopardize sound quality.

2. If I have my music stored on the Mac Mini upstairs, and turn on Home Sharing, and I access the music files on the Mac Mini upstairs from my Macbook Pro downstairs, will it "compress" or change the files in any way by sending it from upstairs to downstairs via the network? Basically, will 24/192 files remain in 24/192 format sending from upstairs to downstairs wirelessly through my home network?

Thank you!

Mike

There shouldn't be any difference in the USB, the type of connection you make, sync or async will make a bigger difference.

As long as your player loads the track into memory and you have free CPU cycles (i.e. your not loading your CPU down with other things) its going to make no difference. All players should buffer the stream but players like Pure Music (channel D) will preload the track into memory.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
By using a windows machine you can also use only the very best (sonically) components (i.e. sotm sound card, better USB chipset, etc...). This should provide better sound than any Mac solution. Although I don't run it, I've been impressed by my friend's JRiver iPad app. If I had to do it over, I would save $5k, skip my S10, and go this route. Aesthetically, they make very slick aliminum component looking cases too.
Your better of getting well built components like a Mac with quality USB/Firewire circuitry and then a nice DAC then a high quality sound card.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
Your better of getting well built components like a Mac with quality USB/Firewire circuitry and then a nice DAC then a high quality sound card.
I have never read this particular topic before so you'll have to excuse me if it truly has been a topic beaten to death.

A sound card is just one of the many components. A better USB chipset along with an inline SATA power noise filter are things you will not find in a Mac. Naturally an asynchronous USB DAC is assumed.

Of course you may think that high end dedicated music servers, all of which use the above in some manner, are simply marketing hype and only pretty packaging but I assure you they do sound better than a Mac. I have used my MBP to illustrate this point to several friends of mine.

I suppose YMMV.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
I have never read this particular topic before so you'll have to excuse me if it truly has been a topic beaten to death.

A sound card is just one of the many components. A better USB chipset along with an inline SATA power noise filter are things you will not find in a Mac. Naturally an asynchronous USB DAC is assumed.

Of course you may think that high end dedicated music servers, all of which use the above in some manner, are simply marketing hype and only pretty packaging but I assure you they do sound better than a Mac. I have used my MBP to illustrate this point to several friends of mine.

I suppose YMMV.
I've never seen any need for a SATA noise filter but maybe your system is at such a level that it matters to you. The general build quality of a Mac is going to be higher then something like an Asus or other PC's.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM

I compared the Aurender to my MBA running PureMusic and I thought the S10 was ahead.

But I think a dedicated Mini QC with AudirvanaPlus and a good USB SPDIF would come very close if not exceeding it now

This was one of the reasons why I didn't end up with the Aurender. It's a great package and if you aren't into tweaking computers, it's a better choice. But computer audio is changing at a fast pace and it's inevitable that it will get better. I also wanted support for USB DSD which wasn't available on the S10. Have they included it yet?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I compared the Aurender to my MBA running PureMusic and I thought the S10 was ahead.

But I think a dedicated Mini QC with AudirvanaPlus and a good USB SPDIF would come very close if not exceeding it now

This was one of the reasons why I didn't end up with the Aurender. It's a great package and if you aren't into tweaking computers, it's a better choice. But computer audio is changing at a fast pace and it's inevitable that it will get better. I also wanted support for USB DSD which wasn't available on the S10. Have they included it yet?
No DSD to date. Firmware upgrade is in the works if you believe everything Aurender tells you. I am hoping for it or I will have to eventually change servers. An expensive lesson for me.

I agree that DSD playback via a laptop running through a DSD capable DAC should sound superior to my Aurender unit. What's more, it is the future. And yes, components are changing rapidly. That is why I believe a CAPS type server makes the most sense. It uses the most current parts and is upgradeable as all it is is a PC in a pretty case. I would advocate a Mac but you can't just open one up to swap out the USB chip when a better one comes along. Probably every six months .