AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-15-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
Dan..... Although I didn't know a thing about the brand at the time, I was turned on to Mac by a friend of the family. Nevertheless, it was also in the late 70s, so we have that in common. It also seems that we're fairly close in age, so it would be interesting to know where your musical tastes lie.
Would not be surprised if we are close in age. This March I will be 60. I feel I was lucky to grow up in the 1970's. I remember watching a documentary that stated more records will sold in the 1970's than any other decade as well as more music artists than any other decade. Everything from disco ( Donna Summers ) to rock such as Pink Floyd and was also into Motown music and The Beatles. So what is now referred to Classic Rock was new music. Music has always been big part of my life and got me though painful parts of my life.

Dan
McIntosh MR87 tuner, McIntosh D1100 as dac & preamp , McIntosh MC462 power amp, Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu for media streaming, AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB 2.0 interconnect , Magnepan MG 0.7 speakers , JL Audio Dominion d110 subwoofer
Old 02-16-2021, 02:05 PM

My first system was a Fisher system by dad bought me when I was 16, 1977. By this time, Fisher wasn’t making the classic items and most of my friends had Marantz, Technics or Pioneer. But I had a friend who’s dad was an engineer, and while at his house to listen to the new band, Toto, I heard my first McIntosh. Georgy Porgy on that system changed my life. When I graduated from college and upgraded my system in 1984, I still couldn’t afford McIntosh. I bought a Yamaha integrated, Denon Turntable and second generation Yamaha CD player. I had that system for the most part until 2006, when a power surge in my home fried all the electronics in it. A neighbor cut through the main line to my house with a backhoe. I finally said, McIntosh it will be! I’ve owned various integrated, the MDA 1000, tuners, Preamps over the past 15 years. I just ordered an upgrade for my Pre, the C-2700. I can’t imagine not having A McIntosh system. If I could have only known at 16 my love affair with that sound.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 02-17-2021, 03:06 PM

McIntosh clock
Now : MX123 and MC255
Old 02-17-2021, 06:26 PM

Talking Another Mac lover in my age group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCheek View Post

My first system was a Fisher system by dad bought me when I was 16, 1977. By this time, Fisher wasn’t making the classic items and most of my friends had Marantz, Technics or Pioneer. But I had a friend who’s dad was an engineer, and while at his house to listen to the new band, Toto, I heard my first McIntosh. Georgy Porgy on that system changed my life. When I graduated from college and upgraded my system in 1984, I still couldn’t afford McIntosh. I bought a Yamaha integrated, Denon Turntable and second generation Yamaha CD player. I had that system for the most part until 2006, when a power surge in my home fried all the electronics in it. A neighbor cut through the main line to my house with a backhoe. I finally said, McIntosh it will be! I’ve owned various integrated, the MDA 1000, tuners, Preamps over the past 15 years. I just ordered an upgrade for my Pre, the C-2700. I can’t imagine not having A McIntosh system. If I could have only known at 16 my love affair with that sound.
JDC..... We've recently got a batch of 50-somethings on this thread that seem to have found Mac at about the same time and have, naturally, kept their love alive.

The Mac hook was set a year or two later for me -- Summer of '78 -- via Led Zep's "Ramble On," but our stories sound fairly similar. I never lost any of my pre-Mac equipment to a power surge, however, so I'm sorry to read about that.

After we owned a couple of Mac receivers, the MAC4100 and the MAC4200, we went right into separates (when we invested in our B&W speakers), but I'm still interested in how you liked your Mac integrated. Which one was your favorite and why?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 02-17-2021, 06:28 PM

Smile A bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rony View Post

McIntosh clock
Now : MX123 and MC255
RONY..... Are you running a 5.1 setup? What kind of speakers are you employing? What type of sources are you using?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
JDC..... We've recently got a batch of 50-somethings on this thread that seem to have found Mac at about the same time and have, naturally, kept their love alive.

The Mac hook was set a year or two later for me -- Summer of '78 -- via Led Zep's "Ramble On," but our stories sound fairly similar. I never lost any of my pre-Mac equipment to a power surge, however, so I'm sorry to read about that.

After we owned a couple of Mac receivers, the MAC4100 and the MAC4200, we went right into separates (when we invested in our B&W speakers), but I'm still interested in how you liked your Mac integrated. Which one was your favorite and why?
70sMac. Thanks for asking. My one and only integrated was the first Mac purchase when I started a new system after that power surge. It was 2007 and was the 6300. While I loved it and liked the sound, I learned that horn loaded speakers liked tubes. At that point I purchased the MC-275 and C-2200 that I still have. And my education was correct. Tubes certainly toned down some of the horn “harshness” by mellowing that midrange.

As I have made changes in my system, I still have the same setup I’ve had since then. I often think about different speakers as hardly anyone that posts daily in this forum has K-horns. I’ve considered making a change to Sonus, Wilson or others, but I know that Would probably necessitate a change amps and preamp. It probably a good thing the nearest high end dealer is 50 miles away and doesn’t carry them. I’ve also thought about other high efficient lines like Devore, but I’m used to that big sound. I have a pair of single driver Omegas that I have used in a second system and may set up an office system at some point. All that said, I’m sure that there are many ears in the forum that would find much fault with my system, but most days, I think it sounds pretty darn good and the music is enjoyable. That’s all that matters I guess.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 02-18-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
RONY..... Are you running a 5.1 setup? What kind of speakers are you employing? What type of sources are you using?
Focal Electra 926 Front Speakers , Focal Electra Center Speaker , AR Rear Speakers .
Moral Subwoofer.
Pioneer Kuro Plasma TV
Sony BluRay ,
Apple TV
Sattelite Receiver.
Also using MX123 's TuneIn Streaming and Spotify

Press Pic to enlarge.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 AM

Thumbs up I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCheek View Post

70sMac. Thanks for asking. My one and only integrated was the first Mac purchase when I started a new system after that power surge. It was 2007 and was the 6300. While I loved it and liked the sound, I learned that horn loaded speakers liked tubes. At that point I purchased the MC-275 and C-2200 that I still have. And my education was correct. Tubes certainly toned down some of the horn “harshness” by mellowing that midrange.

As I have made changes in my system, I still have the same setup I’ve had since then. I often think about different speakers as hardly anyone that posts daily in this forum has K-horns. I’ve considered making a change to Sonus, Wilson or others, but I know that Would probably necessitate a change amps and preamp. It probably a good thing the nearest high end dealer is 50 miles away and doesn’t carry them. I’ve also thought about other high efficient lines like Devore, but I’m used to that big sound. I have a pair of single driver Omegas that I have used in a second system and may set up an office system at some point. All that said, I’m sure that there are many ears in the forum that would find much fault with my system, but most days, I think it sounds pretty darn good and the music is enjoyable. That’s all that matters I guess.
Yes, sir, you're right! The way that your system sounds to you is what it's all about. I just wish that my ears didn't have such expensive taste...

...and don't even get me going on taste(s) in speakers. We've had the same set of speakers for quite some time now...and they still make me smile...so I say go with what makes you happy. We've listened to some of the "latest and greatest" -- and the very expensive --- but they just sound different to me...and none of them seem worth what these people are asking for them.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:34 AM

Smile What's that in your cabinet?

RONY..... When I first saw your photo, I thought: what is that cool looking amp in his cabinet? I had to zoom way in to see what it actually was. Very cool indeed!

Old 02-18-2021, 03:38 AM

Thanks Very much indeed !