AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-11-2021, 12:15 AM

Way back in the early 60's I took my Scott and Fisher units to a Mcintosh amplifier clinic. all three failed miserably even with new tubes. Davie placed a demo MA 230 on the test bench and it just blew the doors off my 299C. So I traded all the Scott and Fisher stuff in and bought a MA 230 and a MR-67. Well I didn't like the 67 so I took it back and bought a replacement MR-71. Later on when I up graded to Bozak Symphonies in 6 months I traded the 230 in on a C-22 and MC 240 and then the next year added another 240 and used them as mono amps. I have been a Mac owner ever since. Oh I flirted with Crown amps for a while as I didn't like my 2100's. But the 7200's came along and I was back to all Mac.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:18 PM

Talking Wow! 60s Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWInsall View Post

Way back in the early 60's I took my Scott and Fisher units to a Mcintosh amplifier clinic. all three failed miserably even with new tubes. Davie placed a demo MA 230 on the test bench and it just blew the doors off my 299C. So I traded all the Scott and Fisher stuff in and bought a MA 230 and a MR-67. Well I didn't like the 67 so I took it back and bought a replacement MR-71. Later on when I up graded to Bozak Symphonies in 6 months I traded the 230 in on a C-22 and MC 240 and then the next year added another 240 and used them as mono amps. I have been a Mac owner ever since. Oh I flirted with Crown amps for a while as I didn't like my 2100's. But the 7200's came along and I was back to all Mac.
TWInsall..... Nice post...and I though that I had an early start! Would you mind bringing the thread up to date on which equipment you're listening to today?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 02-12-2021, 02:09 PM

Default More from the 60s

I always enjoy reading how fellow enthusiasts were introduced to McIntosh, so thanks to you all for sharing your stories.

My story: When I was old enough to drive my mother's car in the late 1960s, my buds and I would haunt the hi-fi and record stores. At that time, my friends started to buy their first beater cars. I started to buy Mac gear. Mac was transitioning from tube gear to transistor; I was able to buy into the last runs of the tube gear. By the time I graduated from high school, I owned a C22, Mc240, and MR71. I bought all of them new. Oh, also the L12 walnut cases.

My friends beater cars are long, long gone. But I still have all of the Mac gear. Quite a few years ago I was able to get an MI3, with its original box, to complete the set. Two years ago, a factory-authorized service station brought all back up to spec. With that gear, a Thorens TD-124 (still have) and a pair of big Altecs, my parents always knew where I was. In fact, I think the whole neighborhood knew where I was!
Old 02-12-2021, 05:22 PM

Talking More 60s Mac!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmacgrove View Post

I always enjoy reading how fellow enthusiasts were introduced to McIntosh, so thanks to you all for sharing your stories.

My story: When I was old enough to drive my mother's car in the late 1960s, my buds and I would haunt the hi-fi and record stores. At that time, my friends started to buy their first beater cars. I started to buy Mac gear. Mac was transitioning from tube gear to transistor; I was able to buy into the last runs of the tube gear. By the time I graduated from high school, I owned a C22, Mc240, and MR71. I bought all of them new. Oh, also the L12 walnut cases.

My friends beater cars are long, long gone. But I still have all of the Mac gear. Quite a few years ago I was able to get an MI3, with its original box, to complete the set. Two years ago, a factory-authorized service station brought all back up to spec. With that gear, a Thorens TD-124 (still have) and a pair of big Altecs, my parents always knew where I was. In fact, I think the whole neighborhood knew where I was!
tgmacgrove..... Wow, you still have all of your all of your 60s Mac gear that you bought new!?! Although we seem to be about the same age, I didn't get a proper intro to Mac until the late 70s, but your story is quite amazing.

By the way, which Altec speakers are you referring to?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 02-12-2021, 06:13 PM

Hi! Yes, I'm the original owner of all but the MI3. Still have the factory boxes and owner's manuals too. As for the speakers, I first had a pair of 604e's then moved on to a pair of A7-500's in the studio gray cabinets. Needless to say, I didn't need to bump the volume control up much to fill the room with tunes! I miss the 604's, and miss the terrific FM stations I used to listen to. As for my beater car buddies, we all still live in the same area and still get together, at least electronically. Good Mac memories for me, going way back!
Old 02-13-2021, 02:58 AM

Question SS anybody?

Quote:

Hi! Yes, I'm the original owner of all but the MI3. Still have the factory boxes and owner's manuals too. As for the speakers, I first had a pair of 604e's then moved on to a pair of A7-500's in the studio gray cabinets. Needless to say, I didn't need to bump the volume control up much to fill the room with tunes! I miss the 604's, and miss the terrific FM stations I used to listen to. As for my beater car buddies, we all still live in the same area and still get together, at least electronically. Good Mac memories for me, going way back!
Not that I have any doubt about the sound you're getting with your Mac tube gear, my friend, but have you ever given any of the Mac solid state (SS) amps a try?

Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 AM

I'm certainly not advocating one technology over another. The system I have referenced in my earlier post was my introduction to the brand. That said, my main system currently has Mac tube amplification. I have heard Mac SS gear and it sounded terrific! Were I to go with a new speaker system, I would likely lean to SS Mac.

A close friend recently moved from a tube Mac power amp to Mac SS, has no regrets, and is more than pleased with the change. His new amp mates beautifully with his preferred speakers.

How fortunate we are to be enthused about a brand that allows personal preference to come into play without surrendering sound and build quality!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:57 PM

Talking McOptions

Quote:

How fortunate we are to be enthused about a brand that allows personal preference to come into play without surrendering sound and build quality!
You're definitely right about that, my friend.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:31 AM

Cool

In the late 1970's discovered McIntosh in magazines such as Stereo Review. I was in my teenage years at that time.

At that time no one sold McIntosh in Sudbury but back than it was common for hifi components to have VU meters such as Marantz, Technics, Luxman, Kenwood, Akai, Pioneer. Later they went to LED meters like from SAE , my first Akai int amplifier had LED power meters.

First time I saw McIntosh in person was when installing new tv for customer, he had McIntosh pieces.

Finally I convinced owner of stereo shop to take on McIntosh in late 1990's and have owned McIntosh ever since

Dan
McIntosh MR87 tuner, McIntosh D1100 as dac & preamp , McIntosh MC462 power amp, Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu for media streaming, AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB 2.0 interconnect , Magnepan MG 0.7 speakers , JL Audio Dominion d110 subwoofer
Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 AM

Talking Another 70s McPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post

In the late 1970's discovered McIntosh in magazines such as Stereo Review. I was in my teenage years at that time.

At that time no one sold McIntosh in Sudbury but back than it was common for hifi components to have VU meters such as Marantz, Technics, Luxman, Kenwood, Akai, Pioneer. Later they went to LED meters like from SAE , my first Akai int amplifier had LED power meters.

First time I saw McIntosh in person was when installing new tv for customer, he had McIntosh pieces.

Finally I convinced owner of stereo shop to take on McIntosh in late 1990's and have owned McIntosh ever since

Dan
Dan..... Although I didn't know a thing about the brand at the time, I was turned on to Mac by a friend of the family. Nevertheless, it was also in the late 70s, so we have that in common. It also seems that we're fairly close in age, so it would be interesting to know where your musical tastes lie.