AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

View Poll Results: Which One Would You Choose?
IWC Aquatimer Chrono 3 10.34%
Breitling Windrider Blackbird Limited Edition 6 20.69%
Rolex GMT 2 - Blue & Black 23 79.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
It is funny but watches in general are becoming the toys of older people kind of like audio. It seems like kids just use their phones to tell time. No need for a watch.
Maybe, but I'm a month away from turning 64, and I stopped wearing a watch 20 years, or more, ago. Between the car, constant computer access, and now the iPhone, it is impossible to not know what time it is.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM

If it is in your budget I would consider a Rolex Daytona in steel. They are the least common and most difficult Rolex to get new. It will depreciate the least as well. I have many watches that are far more expensive but tend to wear my steel Daytona more than the rest. Does it keep perfect time, no....looks great though.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM

I voted Rolex for no other reason than of the three is the only one that used a true in house movement. The Breitling and IWC use the ETA/Valjoux 7750 as a base and modify them. Not that doesn't make them bad in any way but for me, at my current stage of watch collecting I'm looking for true in house movements. As for looks the Rolex will always be a timeless classic. Of the remaining two the IWC is more visually appealing to my eyes, I've never been a Breitling fan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
I voted Rolex for no other reason than of the three is the only one that used a true in house movement. The Breitling and IWC use the ETA/Valjoux 7750 as a base and modify them. Not that doesn't make them bad in any way but for me, at my current stage of watch collecting I'm looking for true in house movements. As for looks the Rolex will always be a timeless classic. Of the remaining two the IWC is more visually appealing to my eyes, I've never been a Breitling fan.
Don
You are correct that Rolex makes their own movements and they are built to last but they are nothing special. They make no grand complications, repeaters, perpetual calendars etc.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
That's a Deusy !

I voted Rolex as they use in house movements
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
I should have just +1 this
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Formerly Gaucho1

Rolex. The GMT IIC is awesome on the wrist. I have 5 Rolex, and all keep great time. If your Rolex is outside of COSC specs it's broke.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

Don
You are correct that Rolex makes their own movements and they are built to last but they are nothing special. They make no grand complications, repeaters, perpetual calendars etc.
Your right, but they don't have to. As for them being special or not, that's for the owner to determine, different strokes for different folks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Ice Man

Rolex GMT looks handsome. There is waiting list for this model unless you pay the dealer a premium.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 AM

There's only one Bond, and that's Connery, and he was a Rolex lad. I did very nearly pull the trigger on a Rolly awhile back, but I've sidelined the moolah for a Naim or decent new m/bike.