AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM

I'm using the Mint LP cleaner from Hong Kong. It's quite good, and the owner also produces custom protractors.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:05 PM

I have been using L'Art du Son for several years along with purified distilled water with very good results.

Regards,
Todd
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 PM

I use the Spin-Clean Record Washer Fluid MKII.....does the job great and its not expensive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prd_img_1125x_X_a085a92b6a244fe083f6c5402cb9c1af.jpg (17.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM

I've used AIVS products for the past 4 years, and I feel there is no peer.

It's a multi-step process to achieve the best results with these cleaners, ratther than resorting to a one step product. It is similar to car care products, that one often cannot achieve what a one step product will achieve versus a multi step correction, sealant, etc.

Thus, I don't know how somebody like Masterlu would use such multi-step processes on a Clearaudio Double Matrix Machine? I'm sure it is doable, with such a sophisticated piece of gear, but probably seems counter-productive, using such a machine, and now going through the hassle of extra time, and extra processes.

But, IMO they are worth it.

I've also known Jim Pendelton, the owner of Osage-AIVS for 4 years. I cannot tell you how much free product he's sent me to try, and as well so much good sensible advice. He's a good friend, a good businessman, and manufactures the best record cleaner there is IMO.

As for his pure water rinse? Jim states it is 45 times more pure that single step distilled, akin to waters used for Kidney Dialysis patients. I use it, and this final step with this high a purity of water does make a difference. The water itself has quite agressive cleaning qualities.

Chat with Doug Deacon over at Agon about AIVS. He'll tell you the exact same things I have.

It was Doug who steered me to AIVS, and I'm sure glad he did.

Last edited by Markd51; 01-21-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
I use this stuff......the owner's a friend of mine
I use this as well! Jeff is great too!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 AM

I use L'Art du Son,it came with my Loricraft and seems to work well.
Before that I used Pure 2 that came with my Nitty Gritty and seemed to work well.Maybe I should experiment some.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royzak View Post
I use L'Art du Son,it came with my Loricraft and seems to work well.
Before that I used Pure 2 that came with my Nitty Gritty and seemed to work well.Maybe I should experiment some.
Try the home brew mix I gave earlier in this thread - it really does work very well.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
I use the AIVS fluids with my Okki Nokki. For the most part No. 15 for new records and the 3-step (No 1 + 2 and water rinse) for dirty records. I don't use the AIVS pure water though (way too expensive). I buy reagent grade ultra pure water for about $50 for 5 gal.

I would consider switching to something less expensive, maybe just using No. 15 for new records.
Dean,

Where do you buy your reagent water?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM

I've tried the AIVS as well as L'Art du Son. Both have their merits, but I've found the best solution for cleaning LPs is Todd the Vinyl Junkie's Vinyl Zyme Gold, which I buy in concentrate form and mix with distilled water. Nothing has beaten this fluid. It's based on the Bugtussel cleaner of the same name that TTVJ now distributes. I've combined it with a cleaning using L'Art du Son. For best results I use the latter first, brush, sit and vacuum, and then follow with Vinyl Zyme Gold with the same process. I then follow with a round in my Ultrasonic V-8 cleaner. I've never had such clean records through this process. So I've stopped using the AIVS altogether.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Washline- I agree that a combination of methods and materials yields better results than a single method, and I'm constantly experimenting, but my routine is not a lot different than yours ; I dry brush first, then apply an enzyme (I do like the AIVS No. 15), soak, agitate, vacuum, then lab water, same drill, before putting the pre-cleaned record in an Audio Desk ultrasonic. (Added bonus: the pre-cleaned record creates less concern about the state of the distilled water in the ultrasonic). I don't know if you use lab water in your V-8 or have a heater.
FWIW, lab water can be ordered from supply houses in the US- just do a web search. There are different levels of reagent water. And they cannot deliver to a residence under US law. But it can be delivered to a business address, whether or not that business is a pharma/medico facility.