AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Default McIntosh C1000 Phono MC input.

Hello everyone,

It seems we don't talk enough about the EXTRAORDINARY quality of the vinyl sound through Mc gear.

I use , since november, with the greatest satisfaction a Clearaudio Symphony MC cartridge through my C1000T: how can I say in english, pure heaven seems to be the weakest word...

I just don't want anything else in vinyl reproduction.

I have to say that this C1000 phono stage is incredible: you can adjust with remote control from your sofa the different values to match it perfectly.

What do you guys use for cartridges which match with Mc ? Don't you find these phono stages very well done?

Jean-Marc.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Jean-Marc,

Very nice combo! I liked my C2200 MM phono stage when I had it, using a Grado Master reference, SME V and Avid Acutus with it.

Right now I have migrated to a Benz Micro LP MC cartridge through a Nagra VPS phono preamp. Not too shabby either imho.

howie
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post

What do you guys use for cartridges which match with Mc ? Don't you find these phono stages very well done?

Jean-Marc.

I am in agreement with you here, the C1000 phono stage is pretty good indeed. I have tried 6 different cartridges with it.
The lowest you can go is about .4 mv below that it becomes a little soft due to the lack of gain.

I am currently using an SPU Synergy on the MC section, and a Ortofon PW + S&B Tx-103 on the MM. Both are great sounding.

Last edited by Stereopal; 04-13-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Hi Jean Marc,

and a very warm welcome !! Good to see you here !
Yes, from what I heard, it does not seem there are many separate phono stages as good as the one you have or the one in the C500....
Do you still listen to CD's ??
Even with my poor LP12 and my "small" C220, and the MDA1000, I don't listen much to CD's anymore !!
I discovered Stockfish records. I never heard vynil records like that. Exceptionnal quality.

Jérôme
Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
I discovered Stockfish records. I never heard vynil records like that. Exceptionnal quality.

Jérôme
Awesome label! Was listening to their LPs this evening!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jean-Marc,

Very nice combo! I liked my C2200 MM phono stage when I had it, using a Grado Master reference, SME V and Avid Acutus with it.

Right now I have migrated to a Benz Micro LP MC cartridge through a Nagra VPS phono preamp. Not too shabby either imho.

howie
Yeah, howie, when I had my 2200 i had a Linn Sondek LP12 and I tried Audiotechnica 440ML (following RonC's advice) and then a Denon DL103, and in the end Denon DL103R, both through a Denon AU32O transformer going in the MM input. Awesome results for these 3 cartridges, MM input very very good.

That's why I say ,I always was happy with McGear for vinyl.

Howie, you have a dream combo too!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hi Jean Marc,

and a very warm welcome !! Good to see you here !
Yes, from what I heard, it does not seem there are many separate phono stages as good as the one you have or the one in the C500....
Do you still listen to CD's ??
Even with my poor LP12 and my "small" C220, and the MDA1000, I don't listen much to CD's anymore !!

Jérôme

Hello Jérôme,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome, you were the one who wrote me to join this excellentissimo forum.

We have to say to our AA friends that we live very close, 2 or 3 miles, and that we already met, but that we haven't had that much time to meet again; that said, I congratulate you again for your system, you have to make a demo for me one of these days.

Where do you buy Stockfish Records in France? I only have one with Chris Jones, Sara K., Ewan Carruthers ... it's a compilation, and like you say, they sound very very true!

Thanks again, my friend.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereopal View Post
I am in agreement with you here, the C1000 phono stage is pretty good indeed. I have tried 6 different cartridges with it.
The lowest you can go is about .4 mv below that it becomes a little soft due to the lack of gain.

I am currently using an SPU Synergy on the MC section, and a Ortofon PW + S&B Tx-103 on the MM. Both are great sounding.

I agree: Denon 103R was not able to work in MC input direct, when you crank up a little bit, one channel stops sounding, even when you play with the ohms.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM

I've been using my new LP12 with my MA6500 with great results. The phono stage of the MA6500 only has provisions for a MM pickup but I'm also currently using a very excellent MM pickup right now- the Linn Adikt. The phono stage of the MA6500 is very good in my opinion. I may get a Lyra MC pickup a little later on so I'll need a external phono stage at that point. In the mean time my records sound very good and I'm quite satisfied with my current vinyl playback setup.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
I've been using my new LP12 with my MA6500 with great results. The phono stage of the MA6500 only has provisions for a MM pickup but I'm also currently using a very excellent MM pickup right now- the Linn Adikt. The phono stage of the MA6500 is very good in my opinion. I may get a Lyra MC pickup a little later on so I'll need a external phono stage at that point. In the mean time my records sound very good and I'm quite satisfied with my current vinyl playback setup.
Linn has always made gret Turntables, I loved mine.

I think Lyra MC is agreat MC , going very high in transparency.