AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Default HD music vs Analog

I have been reading, researching and educating myself about having better analog performance and have concluded it just may not be worth the expense or effort to me when you consider HD music is almost here. I say almost because the only problem is that the available titles of music on HD is just not that great yet. When you think that you can buy a Olive 4HD for less than just the price of a good MC cartridge the cost benefit ratio scale goes in favor HD music which is as good or better than LP. Ok I know good vinyl can be amazing but you need a good turntable, cartridge, phono pre amp, record cleaning machine and lots and lots of space to store a decent LP collection. For those involved in the HD music game...Jim, please educate the rest of us newbie's .
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM

David...great topic, I too am interested in exploring this avenue of music and I have a huge vinyl collection. Jim, please educate us.

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 AM

I will try and put some thoughts together on this a bit later today. (After the Wings game )
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Jim...no problem, I'll be watching too. Also what is the best and most economical way to hook a laptop to the system to stream internet radio etc etc...

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Dave,

You NEED Sonos.

Email me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post
Jim...no problem, I'll be watching too. Also what is the best and most economical way to hook a laptop to the system to stream internet radio etc etc...

Dave
Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM

I run a 30 ft toslink digital out of my computer straight into my Classe SSP800, and use both itunes for most music, and mediamonkey for hirez downloads from Linn, HDtracks, B&W etc. Extremely happy with the results.

I am looking to add an ipad to control the computer and have access to either player wherever.

Mike
Old 04-25-2010, 04:18 PM

It is no secret that I am a sonos fan but so far this product does not support HD downloads. The Olive 4 HD looks interesting because it is 1/3 the price of a MS750 and has HD music playback and downloading as well as a very user friendly interface. The Olive website is giving away a free ipod touch with software to make it a remote. Comments from Jim's posts have made me question whether I need a MCD500 at all as the Olive cd play back is said to sound pretty similar ?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I have been reading, researching and educating myself about having better analog performance and have concluded it just may not be worth the expense or effort to me when you consider HD music is almost here. I say almost because the only problem is that the available titles of music on HD is just not that great yet. When you think that you can buy a Olive 4HD for less than just the price of a good MC cartridge the cost benefit ratio scale goes in favor HD music which is as good or better than LP. Ok I know good vinyl can be amazing but you need a good turntable, cartridge, phono pre amp, record cleaning machine and lots and lots of space to store a decent LP collection. For those involved in the HD music game...Jim, please educate the rest of us newbie's .
Okay, I will try and summarize my comments from a couple of other threads regarding the Olive 4HD and how it compares to my MS-300, but not versus analog.

First, I don't want to start another endless Analog vs Digital debate, but I will restate my position. I do not believe that one technology is inherently superior to the other. It usually comes down to the recording. I have both but do 95% of my listening in digital because: 1) convenience 2) lack of content of what I listen to on vinyl 3) did I say convenience?

What are the benefit of the Olive 4HD versus a 300/750?
-Price
-Quieter
-Ability to download and store and play Hi-Rez files up to 24/192
-Ability to store data in formats other than FLAC and MP3
-Touchscreen display on the unit is much more useful than the small readout on a 750.
-The HDMI output to a monitor is much clearer than what you see from component video or S-video from the 300/750.
-The DAC's in the Olive HD are almost as good as those in the MCD-500. If you walked into the room you could not tell whether you were listening to the Olive or the MS-300 thru the MCD-500 DAC's. When I A/B the two back and forth I would have to say I would pick the 300/750&MCD-500 Combo, but I do not miss notice this during normal listening sessions.
-Ability to download hi-res or other digital files and drag and drop them into the Olive.
-At 2TB the Olive can hold a lot more music.
-Built in wireless

Where the 300/750 has the advantage
-When using the remote and monitor, you can see and easily select from all tracks on an album.
-Both the front panel and your monitor are active concurrently.
-You can access the 300/750 from a SonoS unit and distribute your music around the house. You cannot access the Olive via the SonoS.
-For McIntosh devotees, the 300/750 is a whole lot better looking than the Olive.

Why I am keeping both in my system at this time.
-I keep most of the music I listen to on the MS-300. Therefore I can access these discs via the SonoS and send it to my whole house system.
-I think downloaded hi-rez files are here to stay. A couple of my 24/192, 24/96 and 24/88 files sound better than anything else I have listened to.
-I have downloaded some Naxos 320kb files like "Classics Go To War" and they compare favorably with most CD's.
-Same as with vinyl there is still not a lot of the music I listen to released in Hi-Rez yet. If you like Jazz and Classics you will have some nice choices.
-The Sonos is not a replacement for a 750 or a Olive. It accesses and distributes music, it does not store it and it is limited to 24/96. (though 24/96 is about as good as it gets)

Other-
-Yes, the MCD-500 does handle 24/192 files. I sent the 24/192 digital out from the Olive to the 500's DAC's and it played just fine.
-The 750 is getting long of tooth, a bit old technology wise. You need to run the output thru some good DAC's like those in the MCD-500 or MDA-1000 to get great sound. It does not handle hi-res, and you need to hook up a bridge (i.e. Apple Airport) to have wireless connectivity.

Last edited by Still-One; 04-25-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:06 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

All good stuff, thanks Jim!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Thanks Jim,

You said that the Olive will not allow you to output to the sonos ? Couldn't you use a cable with RCA left/right on one end and 1/8 inch headphone jack on the other end to connect to the sonos and use the fiberoptic out from the Olive to the MCD500 ?